iPad for Photo Editing / Travel Gadget

Hi everyone!

I’m heading back to Egypt this November, and this time, I’d like to review and edit photos/video clips on site. Ideally, I’d like to save the files directly to my NAS while on location, so the internal storage would only be used for transferring files. Based on my research, this should be possible with an iPad that has USB-C – please correct me if I’m wrong.

1. Do any of you have experience with different iPad models and can offer comparisons on why Model A might be better suited than Model B, especially in terms of photo editing with LR/PS?

2. Is it possible to open and manage photos from a NAS over a Wi-Fi connection using the LR app on an iPad, just like on the desktop version?

3. I’m currently leaning towards the 11" model rather than the 13" because it’s more convenient for general tablet use. But are there compelling reasons to go for the larger model when it comes to photo editing?

4. Or should I really be considering a MacBook, since the mobile apps for LR/PS may not be equivalent to the desktop versions? Or is this difference negligible for an amateur photographer?

I don't need brand new stuff, I'm also open for used ones - it always depends 🙂

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Edited by Apneagraph
  • Like 1

Just my 2ct:

4.: MacBook Air is very comparable in size and weight to iPad 13" with case. If you like using the MBA - not wrong.

3.: Size matters

2.: Don't think so. rather use USB-C

1.: No idea. I use an ipad pro 12,9" 3.Gen. (presented 2018) with LR for ipad and never had issues with lack of speed.

• Like 1

Hi @Apneagraph - good questions.

1 - I have both a 2018 and 2022 M1 11” iPad Pros.  I have not seen much of a difference in editing power, even when doing numerous spot removals in LR.  The main difference I have seen is when having multiple tabs in Safari.  The newer M series processors handle this much better.  If it’s in your budget, I’d suggest getting a current iPad as it is the center of your system and it will have a longer future life.

3 - The 13” has more screen space, but I personally prefer the 11” as a best all around solution of carrying and portability.  I have never wished I had the larger screen. 

4 - If you decide to go with a MacBook, I would highly recommend a Pro vs. and Air model.  I have a 2013 MacBook and it never had the power to effectively run LR, even when it was new.  The iPad was always a better choice once LR mobile was available.  A 14” MacBook Pro will increase your investment cost quite a bit.  It depends if you need a full computer vs iPad for other aspects in your life.

Hope this helps!

chip

Edited by ChipBPhoto
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Any M chip (M2, 3 and 4) MacBook including MacBook AIR models would be good if considering a laptop versus an iPad.

Wife travels with an iPad but not doing any editing, barely emailing etc. I prefer a computer and my M2 MacBook AIR 13.6" bought as a refurb runs plenty fast no matter what I'm doing.

Either choice as Chip says a M chip Apple product could be the ticket 🙂

David Haas

• Like 2

I discussed my workflow here. The iPad app isn’t going to have flexible storage options like LR Classic, it wants to store everything on Adobe CC. You can still use local storage, but not to a network device. Even Apple Files doesn’t see servers on a network. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback! 

After reading it including the mentioned „partner“ thread I came to the conclusion, that I won‘t be able to do my idealistic workflow with the iPad, but I can live with that and the other pros still convince me to go for the iPad. 

Now I have to choose between a new Air or a 22 pro (new or refurbed). 

Spacewise I guess 128/256 gb will be most of the time enough, while using SSDs?

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.