Upgrade from Inon Z240 (type4) to Retra Pro X used or Retra Pro Max new?

Hey, so I am currently shooting with a pair of Inon Z240 (type4) and on occasions I have felt I could do with a bit more power especially when shooting pelagics in shallow tropical blue water which is where I do most of the diving these days. 

I shoot an OM-1 MFT sensor camera so I am not too worried about getting the strobes with the highest power, the below are the most important factors for me:

1) Quality of light and even beam 

2) Strobe size and weight

3) Value for money 🙂  

What I am looking for from my new strobes is:

More powerful and better quality of light compared to my current Inon Z240

Lightweight and compact compared to other strobes of similar specs (Massive heavy strobes with a MFT rig doesn't make sense for travelling) 

Able to shoot wide angle and macro (I do like the lower power settings on the Retras and Macro ring accessories)

Based on the above I have come to the conclusion that probably the 'best' for me would be a pair of used Retra Pro X flashes. 

I am aware of the efficiency improvements of the last gen Retra Pro Maxs however my understanding is that the quality of light is the same/similar and I am happy to sacrifice battery/recycle times and use that money for diving.  

I have looked at other strobes like the new Backscatter HF-1 but although I think the value for money is great at the moment I don't like the size/weight vs Retra and also I read the quality of light albeit being very good is not as good as Retra.

I would appreciate your thoughts especially from those who have upgraded from the Retra Pro X to the latest Retra Pro Max. 

Would you buy the newest latest flashes if you were to do it again knowing the difference between the two?

Cheers

Long topic here:

(no clue why this GIF shows but its genius xD)

That was split from an earlier one about Retra battery pack (and its cost):

Retra and "value for money" might not belong in the same sentence, unless your wallet suffers from being too fat 😉

Edited by makar0n
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Igor Ledo Lizarraga said:

Hey, so I am currently shooting with a pair of Inon Z240 (type4) and on occasions I have felt I could do with a bit more power especially when shooting pelagics in shallow tropical blue water which is where I do most of the diving these days. 

I shoot an OM-1 MFT sensor camera so I am not too worried about getting the strobes with the highest power, the below are the most important factors for me:

1) Quality of light and even beam 

2) Strobe size and weight

3) Value for money 🙂  

What I am looking for from my new strobes is:

More powerful and better quality of light compared to my current Inon Z240

Lightweight and compact compared to other strobes of similar specs (Massive heavy strobes with a MFT rig doesn't make sense for travelling) 

Able to shoot wide angle and macro (I do like the lower power settings on the Retras and Macro ring accessories)

Based on the above I have come to the conclusion that probably the 'best' for me would be a pair of used Retra Pro X flashes. 

I am aware of the efficiency improvements of the last gen Retra Pro Maxs however my understanding is that the quality of light is the same/similar and I am happy to sacrifice battery/recycle times and use that money for diving.  

I have looked at other strobes like the new Backscatter HF-1 but although I think the value for money is great at the moment I don't like the size/weight vs Retra and also I read the quality of light albeit being very good is not as good as Retra.

I would appreciate your thoughts especially from those who have upgraded from the Retra Pro X to the latest Retra Pro Max. 

Would you buy the newest latest flashes if you were to do it again knowing the difference between the two?

Cheers

Find some used Inon 330s. They are a better match for your criteria and needs. 

No doubt the Retras offer a terrific quality of light.  The balance is if the price is the right fit for your budget.

I agree about perhaps finding some pre-owned Z-330s.  I have been quite happy with mine over the years.  I also prefer the flexibility and dependability of AA batteries at this point, although I understand other power cells are the future.  

Depending on your urgency, you may also want to hold off until DEMA in Nov to see if any new strobe models will be announced.

If you do opt for brand new strobes, I would suggest selecting models that are capabilities of HSS, even if your trigger does not now support it.  This will help future proof your investment should you want to use that feature at some point.  Not being limited by ~1\200th sync speed opens new possibilities. 

Edited by ChipBPhoto

I have to put my hand up as having gone through the route Z240 - Retra ProX - Retra ProMax. 

I’ve never regretted for a second the move from Inon to Retra. I loved the Z240s but the Retras are way ahead in terms of power, ergonomics, build quality, functionality, light quality, accessories. 

I moved to the ProMax about a year ago. The reduction in size of the additional battery pack was a prime driver. Yes, they are significantly more expensive than the Pro X but value for money is, I think, a bit of a subjective term. I think they’re well worth the cost. I got a pretty decent price for my Pro Xs so was happy to find the extra. 

I find the Retra strobe/LSD combination fabulous, their reflector a super bit of kit. I use HSS a lot shooting into the sun. All in all, I’m really happy with what I have and zero buyer’s remorse. 

If the price of the Pro Max doesn’t represent VFM for you, how about second hand Pro Xs. They are to be found and I really doubt you’d regret getting them. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TimG said:

I’ve never regretted for a second the move from Inon to Retra. I loved the Z240s but the Retras are way ahead in terms of power, ergonomics, build quality, functionality, light quality, accessories.

This ☝️ With the one exception - I've moved from Z-330. A lot of comparisons were already written in the topics that makar0n quoted above, so I suggest reading them thoroughly.

It seems opinions are split between those that don't see the value in spending extra for the Retras and those who don't mind spending more for what they see as incremental lighting quality.  Either you the see the value or you don't, not saying either is right or wrong, everyone has their price point and quality standards. 

At the moment there's not a lot in the size range of the Z-240s - there's used Z-330s, the S&S YS-D3 and the Retras.  The Supe and Backscatter strobes have their fans but they do weigh more and the Supe and to a lesser extent the backscatter is bigger.  Ikelite strobes are good but very bulky and heavy.  The Retras are approaching the weight of the Supe and Backscatter if you use the booster and are a little bigger than a Z-240.  You would likely be shooting at a wider aperture on m43 so a little less demanding on power and the booster may not be necessary.

The Z-240 are right on 700 gr with batteries and anything else comparable will weigh more I think YS-D# slightly more, the Retras about 180 gr more.  The Supe and Backscatter are 1kg or more.

• Like 2

Another idea - Inon S-220 perhaps. Seems Inon specs are wildly understated and that strobe Is pretty good especially considering its small size/weight.

See excellent "Strobe Comparison" topic by @DreiFish

Personally still shooting Z-240s with OM1 as well. Looking into upgrade options from time to time but to be honest not seeing a clear choice - all is way too travel unfriendly to start with (size/weight), or costs silly. I am nowhere near maxing out my camera skills hence prefer to spend money on trips than splashing 4-5 grand on a pair of strobes, benefits me more me thinks.

Waiting if Inon will announce something new, otherwise might one day go with S-220 even. Or just continue another decade with Z-240s, these are unbreakable and will survive about any travel adventures.

14 hours ago, makar0n said:

Personally still shooting Z-240s with OM1 as well. Looking into upgrade options from time to time but to be honest not seeing a clear choice - all is way too travel unfriendly to start with (size/weight), or costs silly. I am nowhere near maxing out my camera skills hence prefer to spend money on trips than splashing 4-5 grand on a pair of strobes, benefits me more me thinks.

Waiting if Inon will announce something new, otherwise might one day go with S-220 even. Or just continue another decade with Z-240s, these are unbreakable and will survive about any travel adventures.

I'm in a similar position, the Z-240s are working well for me, but a little more power would be great for pelagics etc.  The cost to upgrade is the cost os a trip more or less.  There's a lot to be said for buying better water.  The new INONs if they appear maybe interesting??

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chris Ross said:

I'm in a similar position, the Z-240s are working well for me, but a little more power would be great for pelagics etc.  The cost to upgrade is the cost os a trip more or less.  There's a lot to be said for buying better water.  The new INONs if they appear maybe interesting??

I am keeping fingers crossed for October....😉

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.