Case and camera to start uw photography

What’s the real bargain I mean not the cheapest solution but the best bargain in terms of image quality with used equipment to start uw photography?

For example I found Sony a7 II 

in really good shape at 500 euro, but if I look around uw case cost around 1000-3000 euro.

I don’t want compact camera with small sensors,

at this time outside water I  shot with fujifilm x100 series … so would like to keep good image quality.

a full frame would be something really curious and happy to work with. 
because i never had and always dreaming about it.

for video I have already an action cam… so no need video capabilities.

for you….now in the market what’s the real uw bargain as camera and case? 

the cost to buy this used  equipment cannot exceed the price (1500euro) of NEW  Olympus E-M10 IV with Underwater Housing that now I think is one of the cheapest solution with a bigger sensor than 1 inch about new gear in the market… even the camera is old and hope to see a new model soon.

btw cheap does not mean bargain.

Depending on what housing manufacturer to some extent the overall cost of housing a camera scales with sensor size.  You might be able to pickup a good bargain on a housing but you might need to spend $$ for a new port depending on what sort of deal you get.  In general smaller formats mean smaller ports which take yp less space when travelling and are generally cheaper.  I'm talking about housing manufacturers with a system - they sell housings and a complete range of ports and extension rings that are matched well to your lenses.  Wet lenses break this mould to a certain extent as some like the WWL can be used from m43 all the way through to full frame for specific camera brands that sell suitable lenses for them.

As far as image quality is concerned anything from m43 will provide decent image quality.  The EM-1mKII and OM-1 are very close in quality to a Nikon D500 for example and are good enough for many people.

Your other consideration is strobes.  For wide angle work you need a lot of strobe power , but smaller formats can generally shot at wider apertures so are less demanding of strobe power - this means you can get away with cheaper strobes, the INON S220 is a bargain in strobes and is quite suitable for wide angle work on m43 cameras, but quite marginal for full frame.

The main point is look at the complete picture of what you would need to house a camera, buy the appropriate ports and extensions and strobes.

Having said all of that a housing for a generation or two old camera should sell for about 30 to at most 50% of the new purchase price.

• Like 1

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.