Information on the upcoming strobes

I am certainly looking to more information on the upcoming strobes....still waiting for somebody releasing that perfect travel friendly model that would be a worthy replacement for the Z240s 😉

Edited by makar0n
  • Like 1

The last time (Mid-Nov) I had a conversation with the owner of the company about the Apollo line I was told that the Apollo 33"s would arrive first followed by the 44"s and then the Apollo 28. Merlux hopes to have strobes into the hands by late Dec early to mid January. With full release in the first quarter of 2024. 

Regarding strobes for travel thesis a different strokes for different folks kind of issue. I have friends that have traveled for years with strobes like the Ikelite DS-161, ONEUW, Retra, Scubalamp, Seacam and more. Many take backup strobes or smaller strobes like the Backscatter MF-1/2 and Inon S-220's. 

If size V. guide number is important the MF-2's, S-220's and the coming Apollo 28 will be great choices. 

The Marelux Apollo line all have the same core features, the 33 & 44 models will use 3 X 18650 batteries while the 28 will use two 18650's. The 28 and 44 models will have two parallel flash tubes and the 33 will have three tubes. The 28 will not include a focusing light. 

I will post more including how the wireless Lumilink works. 

Product Features

1. Support TTL, Olympus RC, HSS 

2. With a special designed MTL mode, support continuous flashes

3. With 2 fisheye wireless signal sensor units. Plus one fiber port, sensor coverage 100 °. Wireless trigger supports M, MTL, HSS. (TTL modes,RC needs fiber)

4. GN.ISO 100 : 33 (tested on land)

5. Scattering angle 110 ° (under water)

6. Temp 6200k 

7. With dome diffuser, scattering angle 140 °, Temp 5500k

8. Full power recycle time 0.6 second

9. Max diameter 90mm, length of main body 150mm,full length including knobs 177mm

10. Weight on land 960 grams (without battery, with ball mount),1095 grams with 3x18650 batteries (with ball mount)

11. Weight in water 125 grams (including 3x18650 batteries, including ball mount)

12. Battery: 3x18650 lithium batteries. 135 grams total

13. Water proof battery chamber 

14. Full power flash : around 800 times

15. With 2 aiming light colors, 250 lumen on white, 300 lumen on red

16.Waterproof Depth : 100m

• Like 1

Thanks Phil!

So on the travel strobe - something, small, light, yet powerful and reliable enough for most of the tasks, powered by 14500/18500, maybe with a round flash element, with a warmer temp (~5000K), good till 100m minimum and in a reasonable price range. i.e. basically a newer Z240 ..But I know, I am dreaming 🤣
Yeah I know people travel with lots of other strobes...but for an average, non-pro hobbyist, traveling in a cargo class (aka myself), lugging a couple of kg's+ in strobes alone, plus battery packs an whatcha not in some cases, might not be ideal (especially in the face of an overzealous check-in attendant) , neither is buying strobes costings thousands a piece. 

On 12/13/2023 at 10:23 AM, Stig said:

I think the "newer Z240" is the D200, still 4xAA batteries though.

The D200 Type 2 is a retool of the D2000 Type 4. The Guide Number remains at 20 with the rounded  Fly-eye front dome rather than the old flat port. Unlike the Z240 the D200 is fiber optic only. At $540.00US V. $400.00 for the S220 it seems the S220 would be the better choice. Not hard to deduce that an Inon Z330 replacement will be announced at some point.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/13/2023 at 1:13 AM, makar0n said:

So on the travel strobe - something, small, light, yet powerful and reliable enough for most of the tasks, powered by 14500/18500, maybe with a round flash element, with a warmer temp (~5000K), good till 100m minimum and in a reasonable price range. i.e. basically a newer Z240 ..But I know, I am dreaming 🤣

I think Weefine WFS07 ticks most of these boxes. 700g land weight, powered by 2x18650, circular tube, 5500K color temperature, 100M depth rating, costs $600. Power is a little on the lower end of the scale at 60W/s, but you can't have everything.

9 hours ago, Barmaglot said:

I think Weefine WFS07 ticks most of these boxes. 700g land weight, powered by 2x18650, circular tube, 5500K color temperature, 100M depth rating, costs $600. Power is a little on the lower end of the scale at 60W/s, but you can't have everything.

Yeah, been watching that one for a while. Definitely comes very close. Just to be picky, I would loose the lights, up the power and add 4900K diffusers, and voila!

Have not been able to find any real life reviews though, only shop ones. Any Pixels out there having it ?

Edited by makar0n

• 2 weeks later...

Any info on the Marelux Apollo Nano, Phil? I saw https://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/marelux-strobe-apollo-nano-strobe/ and was wondering if it was going to be a competitor for the S-220 & YS-01. 

The Apollo S looks okay to me, though it seems manufacturers aren't even trying to get strobes to be close to neutral in the water now. The small size is great, but not if I need chunky buoyancy arms to compensate 😞

18 hours ago, freedivenz said:

Any info on the Marelux Apollo Nano, Phil? I saw https://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/marelux-strobe-apollo-nano-strobe/ and was wondering if it was going to be a competitor for the S-220 & YS-01. 

This is the current information on the Apollo Nano.

The new Apollo Nano has a GN of 22 and 0.2 second recycle time. Marelux will have a new dock that will allow use of the Soft snoot, color filters and small dome. This will be a great option for off camera lighting using the wireless Lumilink remote flash triggering system. At only 14oz. this will also be a very travel friendly option.

Marelux announced Apollo Nano, 395 grams net weight on land, 35x60x128mm (main body size),
full power recycle time 0.2s ,gn 22
support TTL , RC , HSS. continuous flashes,. support wireless trigger, with one fiber port. one knob easy control, LCD display. one 18650 lithium battery.

nullnull

18 hours ago, freedivenz said:

The Apollo S looks okay to me, though it seems manufacturers aren't even trying to get strobes to be close to neutral in the water now. The small size is great, but not if I need chunky buoyancy arms to compensate 😞

Regarding in-water weight the Apollo III, according to the specs is 125 grams (4.41oz) with the three batteries and ball mount. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

421784472_694785929495554_6737253356105851916_n.jpg

Thanks Phil, that's super helpful. It sounds like it could be an interesting option for ultra-compact setups for MFT or compact, to replace my s2000s (one died, hence the reevaluation). I'll wait for the release to see how the light quality, beam angles, etc all work out 🙂

• Thanks 1

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.