Skip to content

Insta360 X6 - game over

Featured Replies

After using Insta360 X6 for the past two weeks in Maldives (read it as in poor visibility and light :-) I can say with confidence that problem of capturing 360 videos underwater has been solved :-). Heck I would add to it that the problem of taking an action camera underwater has been solved. Throw out your GoPros and DJIs, get X6 and call it a day :-). It is that good. For now I will let footage speak for itself.

Both videos filmed in I-log. Turtle video has their LUT applied to it and is near the surface. The manta video has been exported in I-log and conformed in Davinci HDR pipeline using their I-log conversion. No color correction afterwards. The depth of camera was about 12m. !! Both clips delivered for HDR so unless you have HDR monitor on your PC or laptop use your newer phone to watch and judge. !!

Edited by RomiK

Is so that good???? I own X4 (and use in the past X3) in the Cretan blue waters.

I was looking also to the forthcoming DJI - not sure is those issues Insta fix, will be also adressed by DJI.

It might worth to wait a little bit (?).

  • Author
18 minutes ago, homodelphinius said:

Is so that good???? I own X4 (and use in the past X3) in the Cretan blue waters.

I was looking also to the forthcoming DJI - not sure is those issues Insta fix, will be also adressed by DJI.

It might worth to wait a little bit (?).

Not really (waiting)... Osmo360II has major flaw for underwater use and that is the lens. I saw samples and anything closer to camera is blurry. Until they or someone produces different lens and their software will be able to stitch it... Insta learned from their cooperation with Nauticam and did it right.

  • Author
16 hours ago, Landvogt1893 said:

Which housing do you use?

There is only one for X6 and that is Insta's own - with lenses.

And what about 16:9 videos

i hope you accept some criticism 😀, but there some reddish area and blow highlights

Captura de ecrã 2026-09-10, às 11.28.29.png

Edited by Nando Diver

  • Author
On 9/10/2026 at 12:26 PM, Nando Diver said:

And what about 16:9 videos

i hope you accept some criticism 😀, but there some reddish area and blow highlights

Captura de ecrã 2026-09-10, às 11.28.29.png

🤣 believe or not but myself I see sometimes the same pinkish water with my naked yes. I do however have IOL implants so maybe that's that 🤣

Your blown out part is nothing else than sun shining through 12m of water column and I SPECIFICALLY said that you should judge the footage on HDR capable screens. You posting a JPEG here means nothing else than that you watched it some crappy SDR monitor and made a screenshot from it. If not you do realize that JPEG as a screenshot can't display HDR content, right?🤦🤦

As for 16:9 videos - that's the beauty of 360 camera - you can frame whatever you want to frame.

Listen - I saw this footage reframed for use on my 72inch 4k TV and you will have to take my word for it that it is stellar. Yes, my Sony A1 footage from the same scene looks a bit smoother in shadows and everything but we talk about difference of full frame vs 1inch sensor sensitivities. And USD 14,000 vs USD 900 solution.

Listen no doubt that GoPro M1 is capable action cam although with terrible shortcomings for UW use (optically) but the output is what matters and I am saying that also and especially with the flexibility in mind with the X6 and its underwater solution arrival there is no need to carry action cams underwater anymore. Plain and simple.

Edited by RomiK

6 hours ago, RomiK said:

🤣 believe or not but myself I see sometimes the same pinkish water with my naked yes. I do however have IOL implants so maybe that's that 🤣

Your blown out part is nothing else than sun shining through 12m of water column and I SPECIFICALLY said that you should judge the footage on HDR capable screens. You posting a JPEG here means nothing else than that you watched it some crappy SDR monitor and made a screenshot from it. If not you do realize that JPEG as a screenshot can't display HDR content, right?🤦🤦

As for 16:9 videos - that's the beauty of 360 camera - you can frame whatever you want to frame.

Listen - I saw this footage reframed for use on my 72inch 4k TV and you will have to take my word for it that it is stellar. Yes, my Sony A1 footage from the same scene looks a bit smoother in shadows and everything but we talk about difference of full frame vs 1inch sensor sensitivities. And USD 14,000 vs USD 900 solution.

Listen no doubt that GoPro M1 is capable action cam although with terrible shortcomings for UW use (optically) but the output is what matters and I am saying that also and especially with the flexibility in mind with the X6 and its underwater solution arrival there is no need to carry action cams underwater anymore. Plain and simple.

Captura de ecrã 2026-09-11, às 20.09.23.png

@RomiK i think the Lut you applied is not specific for the X6, that has bigger sensor and more dinamic range than X3,X4,X5, or did you apply the Lut before stitching ?

The X6's 360 I-Log file has to be processed (stitched) in Insta360 Studio before you move on to DaVinci/Resolve. If you apply the LUT to the dual-fisheye per-lens file before stitching, you'll get color inconsistencies between the two halves of the sphere — each lens can react slightly differently to the LUT because of its individual exposure (the X6 has AdaptiveTone 2.0, which meters each lens separately).

Edited by Nando Diver

  • Author
10 hours ago, Nando Diver said:

@RomiK i think the Lut you applied is not specific for the X6, that has bigger sensor and more dinamic range than X3,X4,X5, or did you apply the Lut before stitching ?

Have you not read about NO LUT for manta clip? 🤦‍♀️ I-log processed and conformed to Davinci wide gamut by resolve studio. They already have I-log provisions.

11 hours ago, Nando Diver said:

Captura de ecrã 2026-09-11, às 20.09.23.png

More so I don't understand why then you have need to post silly jpeg to show highlight blowout. You can see on that clip and on your screen that sun is shining through the water and crispy. JPEG will show you none if it... 🤦‍♀️ 12m is not that big of a water column and it was sunny that dive. What else do you need to have explained. Magenta in water? Have you ever not seen one when looking up on a dive?

Listen I can see you are a fan of GoPro from your past posts, thats fine. I am not a fan of Insta360, in fact X5 underwater with their domes was a bit letdown, not improved by much with nauticam housing. But with X6 they just nailed it. Will action cam be better for certain things? Off course it will. Say macro for example. But for majority of divers who document their dives and want to create nice memories or document wrecks and caves there is no upside in using action cams compared to X6. Not in color, not in dynamic range, not in sharpness, not in low light performance.

@RomiK im not familiar with X6 I-log color correction and davinci.. i was just trying to genuinely understand whats causing the magenta/pink, because ive seen other videos from X6 underwater with same outcome..

  • Author
18 hours ago, Nando Diver said:

@RomiK im not familiar with X6 I-log color correction and davinci.. i was just trying to genuinely understand whats causing the magenta/pink, because ive seen other videos from X6 underwater with same outcome..

It seems like they developed their own (kind of) LUTs to conform color spaces/gamuts of various camera manufacturers into Davinci wide gamut intermediate color space. Similar to what standard LUTs do to conform log profiles to rec.709. So if you want to deliver log footage for HDR rec.2020 you do not apply rec709 LUT on it. You set your project for davinci wide gamut and unless shooting arri or other cameras providing info in metadata you tell davinci manually which color space and gamma you were using recording particular clips.

As for magenta - don't fret over it that much in this case. There is Magenta and there is Magenta. One magenta that you see in shadows of water column means wrong white balance. But the other magenta that you saw on my X6 sample is perfectly natural and you can see it with your own eyes when looking up the water column at certain depths with blue skies above.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.