Skip to content

best lens and port for benthic habitat photography

Featured Replies

Hi,

I have a particular question.

For a scientific project I need to photograph fish habitats. Photos will then be converted to simulate a fish viewing perspective (correction for acuity and photoreceptor sensitivity). The studied fish are small benthic fishes (like gobies). In the past I have used a large dome but I am not close to the bottom enough to simulate a fish viewing perspective. A flat port would be better but the field of view would be quite limited. Another issue with, for exemple with a 28-60 (I have now a Sony A7RV) is the minimal focusing distance: 30cm at 28mm, meaning that the foreground is blurry.

How would you solve this trade-off between having a large field of view, close focusing distance and sitting on the bottom ?

Thanks for any advice.

Fred.

I do not have it by myself (too much bulk as well as too expensive), but I imagine that the Nauticam EMWL with Angled relay lens may be perfect for this issue (CFWA and perspective from the bottom).

(different "objective lenses" from 60° to 160° are available)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.