Skip to content

Sony wideangle

Featured Replies


I’d love to get your advice on the ideal Sony wide-angle solution for my setup.

I recently got a Nauticam housing for my A7C II and I’m having an absolute blast with the camera. For macro, I use the Sony 90mm and I’m very happy with it.

Where I’m less satisfied is my current wide-angle setup. I’m using the Sony 16–35mm GM II with a 180mm dome, and unfortunately, I find the combination somewhat underwhelming. It’s difficult to get close enough to the subject for the strobes to light it properly while still fitting enough of the scene into the frame. On top of that, I’m not entirely happy with the sharpness I’m getting with the 180mm dome.

So I’m considering switching to a different setup, but I’m a bit unsure which direction to take.

  • WWL-1: Relatively affordable, especially since I already own the 28–60mm, and very versatile. The downside is that I really wanted to go for a dry setup and avoid something that can rattle around.

  • The new fisheye: Looks absolutely amazing, but the complete setup can easily cost around $3,000. I’m also wondering how flexible it really is with 14mm.

  • WACP-C: Excellent sharpness, but very expensive and heavy.

What would you choose in my situation?

I shoot a wide variety of subjects underwater, from reef structures, divers and marine life to wrecks, caves and caverns.

Thanks in advance!

Sea & Sea

I'd be waiting a bit for the Laowa 8-15 and see how it stacks up against the Sony. I'd be using either one in the 140mm dome.

45 minutes ago, Assist91 said:


Are there any confirmed rumors that this is going to happen?

If you are asking about Laowa fisheye going to happen, i have AI set up checking Chinese sites every few days. The lens has been hands on at events in China twice already.

I searched Chinese sources again through today, 3 October 2026.

The most useful new item is an article published today specifically checking the status of the AF 8–15. It says that as of Oct. 3, Laowa still has not announced either a price or an on-sale date for the AF version. It also points to continued discussion under Laowa's P&E/Bilibili material, but no credible dealer preorder or leaked launch date has emerged.

More importantly, Laowa's own current Chinese news index still lists the Sept. 8 “unreleased products” roadshow announcement as the latest AF 8–15 development. That announcement identifies the lens as AF FF II 8–15mm F2.8 and had it available for hands-on testing in Shenzhen and Qingdao. There is still no subsequent launch announcement on Laowa's site.

One slightly interesting clue is that Laowa is continuing to describe it as its “first autofocus zoom lens” rather than quietly dropping the AF project. Their July official event page had a dedicated fisheye autofocus experience area, and explicitly called the AF FF II 8–15 an unreleased lens available for shooting.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.