Marelux Apollo III

Today Marelux has updated its Apollo strobe line, the Apollo 33 will now be the first strobe released and it will now be called Apollo III. After a major testing process these strobes have well exceeded expectations. The Apollo III will now have an industry high guide number of 44. This was an unexpected benefit of building the entire strobe in-house and developing Marelux own flash tubes.  I have attached the new specs for Apollo III. The Apollo 44 will now become Apollo X likely having an even higher guide number and Apollo 28 will become Apollo S. You can see a video of the strobes working with the Lumilink wireless flash trigger on my Phil Rudin Facebook page. Can't figure out how to attach in this post it anyone would like to add the video please do.

Product Features

1. Support TTL, Olympus RC, HSS 

2. With a special designed MTL mode, support continuous flashes

3. With 2 fisheye wireless signal sensor units. Plus one fiber port, sensor coverage 100 °. Wireless trigger supports M, MTL, HSS. (TTL modes,RC needs fiber)

4. GN.ISO 100 : 44 (tested on land)

5. Scattering angle 110 ° under water

6. Temp 6200k 

7. With dome diffuser, scattering angle 140 °, Temp 5500k

8. Full power recycle time 0.6 second

9. Max diameter 90mm, length of main body 150mm,full length including knobs 177mm

10. Weight on land 960 grams (without battery, with ball mount),1095 grams with 3x18650 batteries (with ball mount)

11. Weight in water 125 grams (including 3x18650 batteries, including ball mount)

12. Battery: 3x18650 lithium batteries. 135 grams total

13. Water proof battery chamber 

14. Full power flash : around 800 times

15. With 2 aiming light colors, 250 lumen on white, 180 lumen on red

16.Waterproof Depth : 100m

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Phil, any chance they are going to be making any warming filters to bring the color temp down to around 4600k? Also I already have the Soft Pro, will there be a built in bayonet so no adapter will be needed?

Edited by Buddha

On 1/14/2024 at 10:52 AM, Buddha said:

Phil, any chance they are going to be making any warming filters to bring the color temp down to around 4600k? Also I already have the Soft Pro, will there be a built in bayonet so no adapter will be needed?

Let me answer the second question first, yes you will need the Soft dock for Apollo strobes because the front element of the strobe is a dome not flat. Cost $149.00 US.

Regarding color temperatures this is a discussion I had with Marelux when the idea of a strobe line was in the planning stages. Marelux had several of the very well known strobes in house for testing the different docks for the Soft snoots. They acquired a new Sekonic C800 flash meter that has a color temp readout. It should be no surprise that all but one of the strobes read from 6600K to 8000K and the one exception was 5900K. For years we have seen very dodgy guide numbers coming from a verity of manufactures. Some enhanced by reducing the AOV of the strobes to less that 100 degrees and a verity of other over estimated power levels. Marelux have said the color temp of its strobes will be 6200K and 5500K with a defuser. I have not been able to find a comparison test that actually uses a light meter to evaluate GN or color temp. I suspect the Marelux Apollo line with be in the same color temp range or lower than many of the current offerings. I anyone has done these tests it would be nice to see the results.

I have attached a photo of the Apollo III dock.

ec0afea0fe.png

• 3 months later...

According to the GNs (44 vs. 40), the announced Marelux flash should be brighter at maximum power when compared to the announced Backscatter flash HF-1 (In addition, the Marelux appears to have three linear flash tubes, while the Backscatter appears to have two)...

Can anybody comment who knows the preproduction models (I am close to preordering two HF-1, since I would like to have more flashlight power than my current Z330 can deliver)?

How long is the warranty on Marelux strobes and does it include burn-out of the flash tubes?

Thanks, Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis

On 4/18/2024 at 4:28 AM, Architeuthis said:

According to the GNs (44 vs. 40), the announced Marelux flash should be brighter at maximum power when compared to the announced Backscatter flash HF-1 (In addition, the Marelux appears to have three linear flash tubes, while the Backscatter appears to have two)...

Can anybody comment who knows the preproduction models (I am close to preordering two HF-1, since I would like to have more flashlight power than my current Z330 can deliver)?

How long is the warranty on Marelux strobes and does it include burn-out of the flash tubes?

Thanks, Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang, You can go to the Marelux.co web site click on downloads at the top of the page then manuals. You can then download the Apollo III manual and the full warrenty is at the botton of the manual. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Phil Rudin said:

Hi Wolfgang, You can go to the Marelux.co web site click on downloads at the top of the page then manuals. You can then download the Apollo III manual and the full warrenty is at the botton of the manual. 

Thanks...

It says "...Marelux provides 2 years warranty for its housing body, cable (such as fiber cable and
HDMI cable), and 1 year warranty for electronic parts and components made of silicon,
rubber and plastic...".

I guess the flash tube is regarded to be an electronic part?

1 hour ago, Architeuthis said:

Thanks...

It says "...Marelux provides 2 years warranty for its housing body, cable (such as fiber cable and
HDMI cable), and 1 year warranty for electronic parts and components made of silicon,
rubber and plastic...".

I guess the flash tube is regarded to be an electronic part?

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/consumer-contracts-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm

EU law also stipulates that you must give the consumer a minimum 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) as a protection against faulty goods, or goods that don't look or work as advertised. In some countries national law may require you to provide longer guarantees.

😉

• Like 1

That is correct, after double checking with owner of Marelux the warranty on all electronics (including flash tubes) is one year. The user manual includes guidelines for shooting  at high speeds. I don't suggest that you shoot at high speeds out of the water because of increased heat a common sense suggestion. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Phil Rudin said:

That is correct, after double checking with owner of Marelux the warranty on all electronics (including flash tubes) is one year. The user manual includes guidelines for shooting  at high speeds. I don't suggest that you shoot at high speeds out of the water because of increased heat a common sense suggestion. 

This will not stand in EU. Period. As long as strobe is bought from an EU based shop, 2 year legal warranty is mandatory. If you, as a manufacturer, refuse that, that burden then falls on the seller themselves. Limitations like "1 year on electronics" could be only enforceable in this case if strobe is bought from a seller based outside EU, as then EU law would not apply.

So unless Marelux plans to drop all their EU based dealers, 2 years it is, electronics included 😉

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/faq/index_en.htm

My computer, bought just over a year ago, won't start any more. The seller agrees that it is defective, but won't repair it for free, because the manufacturer's guarantee is only valid for one year. What can I do?

The guarantee your seller is referring to is the manufacturer's commercial guarantee. This has nothing to do with your legal guarantee, which is binding on the seller and lasts for 2 years. If the seller agrees that your computer is faulty, they are obliged to replace or repair it free of charge. If replacement or repair is not possible, you can get a refund. If you don't get a satisfactory response from the seller, you can contact the national consumer protection authority in the country where you reside.

I bought a smartphone just over a year ago, and it has stopped working. The trader refuses to fix it for free. Do I have a 2-year legal guarantee?

The legal guarantee is valid for a period of 2 years throughout the EU and covers any defects that existed at the time of delivery and which become apparent within a period of 2 years.

If the defect becomes apparent within 1 year of delivery, you don’t have to prove that it existed at the time of delivery. The seller must repair or replace the product or give you a price reduction or your money back. It is assumed that the defect already existed unless the trader can prove otherwise. In some EU countries, this period may be 2 years.

Note: if the digital element is supplied continuously for more than 2 years, e.g. navigation software in a GPS device, then the period of liability is extended; it ends when the data is no longer supplied according to the contract. This does not affect the 2-year liability for the tangible product itself.

Edited by makar0n

The Warrenty I referenced is for North America user manual. I don't have manuals for the rest of the world so I suggest contacting a dealer in your area of the world. The response I got from Marelux was in reference to my area of the world. I think we are all aware that the EU has different regulations and I am sure Asia and the rest of the world differ as well. You don't need to shoot the messenger I am just releating what I was told.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, makar0n said:

This will not stand in EU. Period. As long as strobe is bought from an EU based shop, 2 year legal warranty is mandatory. If you, as a manufacturer, refuse that, that burden then falls on the seller themselves. Limitations like "1 year on electronics" could be only enforceable in this case if strobe is bought from a seller based outside EU, as then EU law would not apply.

So unless Marelux plans to drop all their EU based dealers, 2 years it is, electronics included 😉

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/faq/index_en.htm

Very likely the local dealer in EU has to extend the warranty on his own responsibility (maybe they have a special agreement with the manufacturer, but maybe not). They just can not sell the product without compliance with local regulations.

In the case of the announced Backscatter HF-1 flash, Backscatter themselves give 1 year of warranty, while when bought from Panocean (=dealer in Germany), the warranty (given by Panocean) is 2 years. Panocean also sells Marelux, I did not ask explicitely about Marelux flashes, but very likely the situation is similar...

=> There have been times for EU citizens, when ordering from US, including customs and taxes, was cheaper compared to ordering from a dealer within EU. At present the situation is that (even without customs), e.g. the HF-1, is not only cheaper when ordered from the local dealer in EU, but also the warranty is twice as long. A no brainer to order locally at present...

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis
  • Like 1

According to Vincent, the Marelux sales manager, the new flash is already available:

"...The apollo III already has started to ship out,the warranty is one year and is burning-out of flash tubes included in warranty...."

5 hours ago, Architeuthis said:

=> There have been times for EU citizens, when ordering from US, including customs and taxes, was cheaper compared to ordering from a dealer within EU. At present the situation is that (even without customs), e.g. the HF-1, is not only cheaper when ordered from the local dealer in EU, but also the warranty is twice as long. A no brainer to order locally at present...

Yeah fun times we are living in. Noticed the same about housings last year, was cheaper to buy in EU, even with the VAT, than in US without one. And that was even before counting any customs/shipping.

Let's start Waterpixel "exchange" - Computer parts from US for underwater gear from EU 😂

Edited by makar0n
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, makar0n said:

Yeah fun times we are living in. Noticed the same about housings last year, was cheaper to buy in EU, even with the VAT, than in US without one.

Doesn't that make a pleasant and unusual change! If we could now get US-style baggage allowance on flights.....

2 hours ago, TimG said:

Doesn't that make a pleasant and unusual change! If we could now get US-style baggage allowance on flights.....

image.jpeg

Edited by makar0n
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2024 at 1:19 PM, Phil Rudin said:

Let me answer the second question first, yes you will need the Soft dock for Apollo strobes because the front element of the strobe is a dome not flat. Cost $149.00 US.

Regarding color temperatures this is a discussion I had with Marelux when the idea of a strobe line was in the planning stages. Marelux had several of the very well known strobes in house for testing the different docks for the Soft snoots. They acquired a new Sekonic C800 flash meter that has a color temp readout. It should be no surprise that all but one of the strobes read from 6600K to 8000K and the one exception was 5900K. For years we have seen very dodgy guide numbers coming from a verity of manufactures. Some enhanced by reducing the AOV of the strobes to less that 100 degrees and a verity of other over estimated power levels. Marelux have said the color temp of its strobes will be 6200K and 5500K with a defuser. I have not been able to find a comparison test that actually uses a light meter to evaluate GN or color temp. I suspect the Marelux Apollo line with be in the same color temp range or lower than many of the current offerings. I anyone has done these tests it would be nice to see the results.

I have attached a photo of the Apollo III dock.

ec0afea0fe.png

Regarding the color temperature, I tested my Apollo III with a Seikonic C-800 spectrometer and got 6800k without diffuser and 6000k with. For comparison, I tested a few other strobes:

1. OneUW 160 - 5450k without diffuser, 5000k with diffuser

2. Supe D-Pro - 6500k without diffuser

3. Backscatter MF-2 - 5858k without diffuser, 5260k with diffuser

4. Inon S-220 - 7000k without diffuser, 6700k with diffuser

5. Apollo III  - 6800k without diffuser, 6000k with diffuser

6. Retra Pro - 5100k without diffuser (Backscatter measured it at 5800k)

7. Sea & Sea YS-D3 (Backscatter measured at 6600k)

8. Ikelite DS230 5200k

• Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

*sigh*

I just bought a pair of Supe D-Pros last month and now i become aware of the Marelux.    Still - the Supes are all the strobe i need, so it isnt the end of the world.     

Edited by vkalia

• 4 weeks later...

Some excerpts from the manual, especially when it comes to the MTL functionality. Basically, you can only shoot 10fps in MTL mode at power level 5 or below. That's, according to Marelux, GN 6.8 or lower from the claimed GN 44 of the strobe on land*

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 08.09.49.png

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 08.08.36.png

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 08.09.24.png

9 hours ago, DreiFish said:

Some excerpts from the manual, especially when it comes to the MTL functionality. Basically, you can only shoot 10fps in MTL mode at power level 5 or below. That's, according to Marelux, GN 6.8 or lower from the claimed GN 44 of the strobe on land*

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 08.09.49.png

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 08.09.24.png

I think you have perhaps misunderstood the manual in that you can shoot 10 FPS at power level #12 when using fiber optic cords to fire the Apollo III flash. 

The 10 FPS only at power level #5 is only when using the LumiLink wireless flash trigger. This is an issue of the signal  from the on camera flash trigger (UWT) to the Lumilink trigger and them the flash just not being able to move fast enough to keep up at 10 FPS.

In MTL mode set to 10 FPS using fiber optic cords the MTL setting automatically reduces the power at a given power level to allow the strobe to recycle fast enough to get in 10 frames in one second. So at the top power level of 12 the guide number is reduced from 44 to 22.

Posted (edited)

Hi Phil,

You're right -- the manual only speaks about the situation with the wireless trigger. Reading comprehension fail on my part.

I'll have to test again -- but when I actually tried shooting 3 fps at level 12 in MTL mode, there were at least noticeable differences in exposure between shots. (this is with fiber optic cables from a nauticam manual flash trigger)

Edited by DreiFish

What I should add is that I'm a bit skeptical about the 44GN claim at full power -- I'll have to measure it when I'm back home. That said, 2 Apollo 3s can light a big scene, at full power.

Here they are at full power with the diffusers and 1/4 CTO gels. (so probably -1 stop because of the diffusers and gels? I couldn't find published specs on how much light the diffusers reduce). F8, ISO 200, 1/125th with the Canon 8-15mm fisheye. Subject distance is about 2 meters?

IMG_0892.jpg

• Like 4

I believe you need the same UWT or Turtle trigger used for TTL, MTL AND HSS. I have an example at five FPS on the cover using the UWT trigger with fiber shooting Laowa 10mm on A7R V and all exposures were equal even after several seconds. In a low light situation that could change. 

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.