Advice on a 45 viewfinder from nauticam

I would really appreciate your advice for the following question I have.
I made the plunge and got myself a new camera (z8) and am now getting a nauticam housing along with it. One thing I’m hesitant about is which viewfinder to choose. I read that one might not be able to see the status bar well with the 1:1 but would get larger view of the cameras evf. The 0.8:1 doesn’t have this problem but shows you less of the picture. 
I also have the option to buy an older viewfinder (part no 32205) for a good price (never used) which I guess would have the same view as the newer 1:1 ?
I am not sure how much of an issue it really is to go either way but would hate to spend all this money and not see my settings, ie having to dial in blindly or having to look at my back display to adjust my settings. Having said this, there might e options with the z8 to display those elements temporarily within the image if the viewfinder but haven’t found such an option. 

Don't know what it will be like on the Z8, but on my OM1 which has one of the newer larger EVFs the edges are fuzzy with the original 45° viewfinder, which includes some status info.  The newer ones are preferred with the new viewfinders.  Mine is a carryover from the old housing, but if I were to buy new I'd spend the extra to get the best view.

The 0.8:1 is designed with a wider view more mirrorless cameras specifically to include the information around the edge of the frame.  This video might be helpful, there's a lot of bakground and it gets into the meat of it about 8 min in.  And starts talking about the 0.8:1 10 min in.  Alex says he prefers the 0.8:1 model even for the SLRs.

• Thanks 1

Agreed - the 0.8:1 is fantastic!  It allows the viewer to see the entire viewfinder image, especially with the high-quality ones on new cameras.  I upgraded from my original Nauticam view finder to the 0.8:1 and it was a game changer.

• Thanks 1

If you’ve never used a 45 viewfinder, be aware it may take a couple of dives to get used to the new way you view and photo your subjects.  Once you have it down you’ll love it, especially if you do any macro or low angle photos.  Now the hard part…waiting for it to arrive.  😂  Best of luck! 

• Like 1

Good point thank you. I have been using a very old one and not from nauticam. I never really paid attention or was thinking about the viewable space it would cover and wanted to be sure to buy the right one.🙃

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.