Swimming with Orcas and Humpback Whales on Norway´s Herring Run

Fuuuuuu.. is that a great video. Tears in my eyes.

The advantage of a freediving neoprene is more flexibility? I have a conventional neoprene 7mm and did my advanced freediver in it. Not so comfortable but possible.

What about money? Very expensive oder very very expensiv? With your article I have a new goal... Thanks a lot!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fruehaufsteher2 said:

The advantage of a freediving neoprene is more flexibility? I have a conventional neoprene 7mm and did my advanced freediver in it. Not so comfortable but possible.

What about money? Very expensive oder very very expensiv? With your article I have a new goal... Thanks a lot!!

Thank you very much!

You are right, this neoperen is more flexible, therefore its easier to take deep breaths.

The costs differ in how you like to do it and what you prefer of course. There are plenty of operators on the market.

Wonderful video, thank you.  It reminded me of a dive trip in the Sea of Cortez, on the Don Jose boat in the 1980's, when a pod of orcas came up to the boat, we got into the skiff to be close to them, unfortunately we were not allowed by the captain to free dive with them. Most memorable.

• Like 1

Absolutely amazing video! Congratulations.

Everything comes together in this piece: the subject, the lighting, the scenery and the soundtrack. I am freezing cold watching it.

The idea of entering that water, let alone moving through it and looking after a camera system is mind boggling.

ian

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kraken de Mabini said:

Wonderful video, thank you.  It reminded me of a dive trip in the Sea of Cortez, on the Don Jose boat in the 1980's, when a pod of orcas came up to the boat, we got into the skiff to be close to them, unfortunately we were not allowed by the captain to free dive with them. Most memorable.

6 hours ago, JS1221 said:

Wow, absolutely mesmerizing. Incredible experience and video.

4 hours ago, ianmarsh said:

Absolutely amazing video! Congratulations.

Everything comes together in this piece: the subject, the lighting, the scenery and the soundtrack. I am freezing cold watching it.

The idea of entering that water, let alone moving through it and looking after a camera system is mind boggling.

ian

Thank you very much for your comments!

It took me a long time finding suitable tracks. I tried several ones in several different edits. In the end i used two different songs in the edit, but they match perfect together

On 1/11/2024 at 11:15 PM, fruehaufsteher2 said:

I would venture that diving in 5-6°C water with a 7mm conventional neoprene wetsuit is extremely optimistic.  I'm one of the more cold tolerant divers around Sydney and 14° is about my limit diving wet.  On boats where there is any wind you will continue to lose heat from the wind chill from water on the suit outer surface.  

Mid last year I was on a boat in 16 deg water in my drysuit (compressed neoprene) with light thermals underneath it didn't feel that much more comfortable than diving in my 7mm wetsuit, where i really noticed it was on the boat, people diving wet were shivering and I was 100% comfortable.  I believe the open cells suits also shed water quickly.  I think freedivers around Sydney often dive in 3mm open cell suits in 14-17°C water.

• Thanks 1

Been twice in late November.  Used a 8mm spearfishing suit, 2 piece.  The water is warm thats not the issue.  Stayed in the suit all day early and into the early afternoon (evening starts early). When i wasnt in the water i grabbed my survival suit and just wore it on top. Keep the feet warm with wellies and you are golden. I had integrated hood in my spear suit, and a hat for the boat with ski gloves. I spent 2 hours a time in the water - it was the warmest place to be!

🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.