Service of Nauticam extension rings

Happy owner of Nauticam system (migration from Aquatica), the rings are more complex from what i was used (just bayonet system and thats it).

Lock systems, zoom staff, lock mechanisms - all that have moving parts with orings and seals.

How often do we need to service also that parts of the equipment?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, homodelphinius said:

Happy owner of Nauticam system (migration from Aquatica), the rings are more complex from what i was used (just bayonet system and thats it).

Lock systems, zoom staff, lock mechanisms - all that have moving parts with orings and seals.

How often do we need to service also that parts of the equipment?

They have moving parts but they really don't impact the seals.  Nauticam ports push straight in without the need to rotate, while the original extensions are press in and turn, the locking mechanism is internal to prevent it rotating back, it is activated by a locking lever no different in concept to a ZOOM gear control or the control to move one of the dials on your camera.   Some extensions such as the N85-N120 adapter have a push and turn system which is no different to buttons on the housing or controls that you turn and would probably be serviced on a similar frequency to the housing itself as the mechanisms are quite similar.  It's really no different to extra controls on your housing.

The new Type II extension rings have the same internal locking ring as the housing itself and it appears to be an identical mechanism to activate and turn the locking ring, so again same maintenance requirement as the housing.  The type II extension rings don't need to rotate after being pressed into place (except I think the 10mm ring). 

My EM-1 MkII housing is now 7 years old and has not been serviced and still working well.

The downside is the internal controls are quite complex so after a few or many years you might send the housing in for refurbishment which involves a complete strip down.  They are reported to come back looking like new.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chris Ross said:

The downside is the internal controls are quite complex so after a few or many years you might send the housing in for refurbishment which involves a complete strip down.  They are reported to come back looking like new.

When mine came back from service I had to check its serial number because I thought it was a new housing from the factory 🤣

• Haha 1

Congrats @homodelphinius on your new rig!  Without trying to sound like a cliche, it really does depend how well you clean and dry your housing and extensions after use.  I had my 1st Nauticam housing for 11 years with 200+ dives a year.  I went over 9 years before it was serviced.  And yes, it looked brand new when I got it back!  Even the white lettering was repainted. 😳  I have never serviced an extension ring other than replacing the main o-ring. (85, 100, or 120)

All parts are extremely well made and durable which is why I chose them.  With that said, I am also quite meticulous about soaking the rig each night after use, articulating the buttons and knobs while in the warm water, and then thoroughly drying it.  I found an electric air blower to quickly blow out the water from under the buttons/levers, which in turn keeps them free from build-up.  I do this even when I am on a repetitive day dive trip.  I am most likely the extreme in this area compared to most, but it has paid off for me over the years.  Definitely an investment to purchase, but well worth it! 

Edited by ChipBPhoto
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the clues and approaches you follow!

Am not that meticulus at all. Thats why i have Aquatics since 2012 (no service at the first).

But since the company is in Canada and the European sector is nowadays small (and a bad experience from a Service Center) i decide to move to Nauticam (almost everywhere in Europe you can find a dealer).

Amazing ergonomics, interesting building approach and lots of ports and adapters to use my Aquatica staff.

No downside for that investment!

The electric air blow is something that i have to use in Nauticam due to the lots of holes they have on the top (and to blow water from the buttons).

Let see how far it will do!

• Like 2

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.