attach your dive computer to your camera?

I just put my Teric around one of my floats (I have a float horizontally across the top of my housing). The band is just long enough.

This puts it right in front of my face and not rotated 90 degrees like it would be on one of my strobe arms.

278055870_155876086892228_1661066082519839645_n.jpeg

Edited by Whiskeyjack
spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave_Hicks said:

Why would you want to block your view this way? I look over my camera all the time when lining up a shot, checking snoot lighting, etc. Maybe mount it instead on one of those unused offset balls?

I don't know, but it seems to work for the proud owner, since he had it made this way 😄
this is his work: https://www.instagram.com/diveivanov/?hl=en
the ball ends are all used as i know he has both strobes and video lights on his kit.

cheers

Edited by bghazzal

I have a ULCS arm loaded with Stix floats horizontally across my housing. My dive computer straps on to that. It's very easy to read by just glancing up. And then if I'm diving without a camera - very rare! - I can just unbuckle the computer and wear it on my wrist.

Sorry, traveling for work so can't post a photo. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TimG said:

I have a ULCS arm loaded with Stix floats horizontally across my housing. My dive computer straps on to that. It's very easy to read by just glancing up. And then if I'm diving without a camera - very rare! - I can just unbuckle the computer and wear it on my wrist.

Like Tim, I strap my ancient Suunto Vyper to the float on my strobe arm. It is always in my field of view, and is about the size of the speedometer in my truck.

I wear a second Suunto D6 on my forearm. I wear this throughout the day of diving so I can track surface intervals etc. Agreement between the two instruments is remarkably comparable, although I use the D6 as the "Official" recording, since it is much newer.

Both computers are linked to the same Suunto Transmitter on my regs first stage.

The last piece of paranoia is a SPG on a short hose which is bungeed to my backplate. I can retrieve this if needed, and is just long enough.

While I have never had a computer fail, I have had a number of dives aborted due to a glitchy transmitter. The SPG is good insurance at no real cost.

• Like 1

I use a Shearwater Predator computer strapped round a strobe arm. Its rarely perfectly the right way up, but is easy enough to read and anything not green gets my attention to rotate the whole rig if necessary.

I find I pay more attention than I would to a computer on a wrist.

By having nothing on my wrists for warm water diving, kitting up is quick. No messing about with wrist straps. No risk of forgetting anything. Just pick up the camera and jump in knowing everything is there. For cold water the same, except this is my backup.

I keep my camera on a leash. I wouldn't do this if I hand-held the camera without a leash, too many risks in one go if I dropped it!

• Like 1

Short of some 3d printed mounts (like for example one shown by @CaolIla below, the one with compass ), just get a bungee mount for your chosen computer then attach to an arm. No different than attaching to an arm 😆. And with bungees you can about to attach it literally anywhere.

Edited by makar0n
  • Like 3

Just set up my budget SeaFrogs rig for another liveaboard trip. 

IMG_20240123_162034.jpg

It's a generic carbon fiber float arm going between a triple clamp on right handle and another triple clamp on the cold shoe, which is also holding the focus light. Both computers (Shearwater Perdix AI and Aeris Elite T3) are linked to the same transmitter; on a dive one of them is on my wrist, the other is on the camera. On day dives Perdix goes on the wrist, on night dives it's the other way around, since the Aeris doesn't have a backlight. 

• Like 2

One on my wrist, one on the strobe arm next to the housing, mounted on a Stix float.  Both come with me every dive, end of story.  That way it doesn't matter which one I glance at.  I also have a muscle memory to check my NDL and air before engaging with a subject. If I am down to 6 mins or less, I look for a shallower subject. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 9:07 PM, TimG said:

Me too but when I dive without a camera I always forget the computer.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Exciting topic!

I've been fixing my computer's case for a while now, with a solution from Carbonarm for a long time.
https://carbonarm.com/en/balls-and-terminals/77-computer-s-support-l-0806808286642.html

However, with Carbonarm's solution, the fibre-connections were no longer so easily accessible, so I built a variant myself out of a tube cover.

But I think the variant with corresponding 3D printing above is absolutely great, I'll have to think about it.

Greetings from Switzerland,

Tino

2020-05-25_16h-57m-48s-by-Tino-Dietsche.jpg

old solution from Carbonarm

2021-02-11_18h-12m-00s-by-Tino-Dietsche.jpg

new Version

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.