Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

RETRA Strobe Thread

Started by guyharrisonphoto ·

  • 698Posts
  • 698Replies

Read-only discussion

RETRA Strobe Thread

698 posts
  1. Hi 
     
    We have just released a firmware update (2.5) for the Retra Flash PRO/Prime which includes improvements of Smart SL, HSS, BATT/TEST and U2 modes including an updated user manual. The update is done easily with our App, available for iOS and Android devices. Just download the app and follow the instruction for connecting your flashgun to your device.
     
     
     
    If you need help with the install please write to: develop@retra-uwt.com
  2. 7 hours ago, Oskar@RetraUWT said:
    We have just released a firmware update (2.5) for the Retra Flash PRO/Prime which includes improvements of Smart SL, HSS, BATT/TEST and U2 modes including an updated user manual.

    I want to add some information for users, that UW Technics in cooperation and with the support or Retra team updated the firmware of TTL-Converters for Retra HSS and TTL support of this particular firmware version V2.5.  So, all TTL-Converters manufactured last months are tuned for this new firmware.

    Edited by Pavel Kolpakov
  3. 24 minutes ago, Pavel Kolpakov said:

    I want to add some information for users, that UW Technics in cooperation and with the support or Retra team updated the firmware of TTL-Converters for Retra HSS and TTL support of this particular firmware version V2.5.  So, all TTL-Converters manufactured last months are tuned for this new firmware.

    Really good to know, Pavel. Many thanks

  4. 57 minutes ago, Pavel Kolpakov said:

    I want to add some information for users, that UW Technics in cooperation and with the support or Retra team updated the firmware of TTL-Converters for Retra HSS and TTL support of this particular firmware version V2.5.  So, all TTL-Converters manufactured last months are tuned for this new firmware.

     

    I have a UWT TTL trigger for my Sony a7r IV. I anticipate buying a pair of Retra PRO strobes in the not-too-distant future.

     

    How would I be able to update my UWT trigger to have this new firmware?

  5. 53 minutes ago, stuartv said:

     

    I have a UWT TTL trigger for my Sony a7r IV. I anticipate buying a pair of Retra PRO strobes in the not-too-distant future.

     

    How would I be able to update my UWT trigger to have this new firmware?

    It is available to update this firmware for most of TTL boards. Please contact UWTechnics company for details by e-mail (uwtechnics@gmail.com).

    TTL boards manufactured since last summer have also some hardwire changes for better Retra Pro support and also this new firmware.

    Edited by Pavel Kolpakov
  6. 3 minutes ago, Pavel Kolpakov said:

    It is available to update this firmware for most of TTL boards. Please contact UWTechnics company for details by e-mail (uwtechnics@gmail.com).

    TTL boards manufactured since last summer have also some hardwire changes for better Retra Pro support and also this new firmware.

     

    I got mine in March, 2020. I guess mine does not have the hardware changes. What will I be missing out on by having older hardware?

  7. 25 minutes ago, stuartv said:

    I got mine in March, 2020. I guess mine does not have the hardware changes. What will I be missing out on by having older hardware?

    If you mean TTL board for Sony A7-A9, the hardwire was upgraded even in spring this year. Probably you have a last version hardwire. Anyway, let's contact by e-mail to specify some technical details.

    Edited by Pavel Kolpakov
  8. 14 hours ago, Pavel Kolpakov said:

    I want to add some information for users, that UW Technics in cooperation and with the support or Retra team updated the firmware of TTL-Converters for Retra HSS and TTL support of this particular firmware version V2.5.  So, all TTL-Converters manufactured last months are tuned for this new firmware.

    Hi Pavel,

    Does it means that if we have the previous firmware on the converter it is better not to update the Retras's firmware?

     

    Kind regards,

    Jose

  9. 15 minutes ago, Joss said:

    Does it means that if we have the previous firmware on the converter it is better not to update the Retras's firmware?

    Hi Jose,

    Please check the User Manual of your TTL-Converter, If it already supports Retra Pro strobe (rotary switch position "7"), you have to update Retra Pro firmware up to V2.5 now.  

  10. Pavel,

    I have one of the original Nauticam TTL converters that I purchased when the D500 housings came out.  Will I need to replace that converter with a new one to work reliably with the Retra Pro V2.5 strobes?

    Edited by Jay-11
  11. I've just done the upgrade on the Retra Prime strobes to v2.5.

    Could not have been easier and took less than 5 minutes for each strobe.

    Edited by TimG
  12. 3 hours ago, Jay-11 said:

    Pavel,

    I have one of the original Nauticam TTL converters that I purchased when the D500 housings came out.  Will I need to replace that converter with a new one to work reliably with the Retra Pro V2.5 strobes?

    You mean #26308 product (black color PCB). It did not have Retra TTL profile, no HSS support.  Yes, for usage with Retra Pro, you have to replace TTL board.

    Edited by Pavel Kolpakov
  13. On 7/29/2020 at 9:57 AM, Oskar@RetraUWT said:

    As Chris mentioned the design of the flashtube plays a major role in how light is distributed and the power output. How the flashguns perform in wide angle situations can be seen here: https://www.retra-uwt.com/pages/flashgun-light-comparison

    In macro situations the differences in light beam spread are same but come out less visible (especially on subjects that are very 3D) because the light beam is compressed onto a small area. If we measure the light beam of the Z-240 coming out of the LSD Ultimate snoot, the uniformity of the beam is considerably less than with the Retra Flash PRO. Although in macro photography this is less of an issue.

    When comparing both these flashguns for snooting with the LSD Ultimate or a homemade DIY snoot the biggest difference worth noting is the placement of the pilot light. Having a central pilot light being a much better experience when positioning the light.

    Hi Oskar,

     

    First, a big thanks for your input and efforts every time!

     

    I would like to know if there are plans for adapting the LSD or find workarounds so it will be possible to use the LSD on the retra pros without having to use a strobe output from 75-100% while shooting macro?

    I received the new mounting module for my retra pro, but had no time yet to test this.  I hope the experience will feel much better then whit the mounting module from the original retra on the pro strobe.   When i tried to use this combination it was really dissapointing but thanks to your posts here i found out that another module might be a solution so i ordered one but had no chance to take it underwater yet.  

    Just for info, do you know if it is possible to upgrade the pilot light on a original retra?   Thanks in advance for answering and a big thumbs up for all your hard work and efforts!! 

    Edited by kevinds
  14. Hi Kevin

    The Mounting module for the Original Retra Flash does not work well with the Prime/PRO models due to wider beam spread and lamp shape. Please try with the Mounting module that was made especially for the PRO/Prime models.

    Please remember that you need to change the diffuser (it comes supplied with the new Mounting module) because the diffuser that was supplied for the Original Retra Flash will not work well for the Prime/PRO. We've had a few cases where photographers used the old diffuser and the results were not as they should have been.

    The difference between using the old Mounting module/diffuser and the new set is substantial.

  15. 8 minutes ago, Oskar@RetraUWT said:

    Hi Kevin

    The Mounting module for the Original Retra Flash does not work well with the Prime/PRO models due to wider beam spread and lamp shape. Please try with the Mounting module that was made especially for the PRO/Prime models.

    Please remember that you need to change the diffuser (it comes supplied with the new Mounting module) because the diffuser that was supplied for the Original Retra Flash will not work well for the Prime/PRO. We've had a few cases where photographers used the old diffuser and the results were not as they should have been.

    The difference between using the old Mounting module/diffuser and the new set is substantial.

    Thank you very much! I hope to make a dive next week and i certainly will experiment with the new module and will also change the diffuser! Thank you for your answer!! 

    I hope with this combo to improve my accuracy and lighting as i was used from the original retra.   

    Thanks and keep up the good work!  Have a nice day!

  16. You're welcome.

    Please note that the Original Retra Flash has a narrower flash beam and therefore less power is used for snooting. With the Prime/PRO the flash beam is considerably wider and more evenely spread (ideal for wide angle) but this also means that for snooting a higher power level is used to achieve the same result as with with Original.

    In any case the new Mounting module will provide much better light output and I guess you already noticed that the pilot light is much brighter with the new models.

  17. 8 hours ago, Oskar@RetraUWT said:

    You're welcome.

    Please note that the Original Retra Flash has a narrower flash beam and therefore less power is used for snooting. With the Prime/PRO the flash beam is considerably wider and more evenely spread (ideal for wide angle) but this also means that for snooting a higher power level is used to achieve the same result as with with Original.

    In any case the new Mounting module will provide much better light output and I guess you already noticed that the pilot light is much brighter with the new models.

    I will test it as soon as i can and hope to get rid of my doubts.   

    The reason i bought the pro was the more powerfull strobe and the more lumens pilotlight for snooting.  I never thought about physics of the flashbeam that would result in a need for higher flash output by snooting, more battery drain and longer recycle times for my snooting.   

    I really loved the original retra for snooting, only there was the known thermal problem when snooting with the pilotlight at his highest setting.  

    As last, i think Retra really did a great job and they build very good hardware.  So this is really not a way to bring Retra down or make other people doubt about retra. 

  18. 12 hours ago, kevinds said:

    I really loved the original retra for snooting, only there was the known thermal problem when snooting with the pilotlight at his highest setting.  

    Unfortunately the Original Retra Flash does not have any option to update firmware outside of our workshop but this can be solved if you send the product to us for a firmware update.

    The pilot light output of the Prime/PRO is substantially improved for snooting and makes the whole process of positioning and aiming much easier. If a short recycle time is needed the Supercharger is available. For reference please take a look at the macro focused review of the Retra Flash PRO by Mike Bartick: http://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-photography-special-features/article/macro-critters-anilao-philippines-retra-flash-pro

  19. If you are snooting, I can really recommend the Supercharger.

    I've now used mine for 4-5 dives and it makes a big difference to how much shooting you can do in snoot mode - bearing in mind that, in general, with the Retra Prime, I have to go +2 or even +3 on the Retra power dial with a snoot in place. Less maybe with the Pro. But still heavy on batteries. The Supercharger solves that. It too is beautifully designed and built

  20. 26 minutes ago, Oskar@RetraUWT said:

    Unfortunately the Original Retra Flash does not have any option to update firmware outside of our workshop but this can be solved if you send the product to us for a firmware update.

     

    Thanks Oskar. I recently sended my original retra in for a repair. So with a bit of luck, they also updated the firmware? 

     

    Thanks a lot for the link and feedback! 

    28 minutes ago, TimG said:

    If you are snooting, I can really recommend the Supercharger.

    I've now used mine for 4-5 dives and it makes a big difference to how much shooting you can do in snoot mode - bearing in mind that, in general, with the Retra Prime, I have to go +2 or even +3 on the Retra power dial with a snoot in place. Less maybe with the Pro. But still heavy on batteries. The Supercharger solves that. It too is beautifully designed and built

    Thanks a lot TimG.  I will certainly do some further testing and will think about the supercharger addon.    

    Thanks guys!! 

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.