Jump to content

Bali24 Dive trip and thoughts


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

To answer Chip here is all I hauled to Bali 🙂  

 

The Fantasea wide angle "Air Lens" pops on and off my Fantasea FG7X II housing restoring my Canon G7X II cameras native widest 24mm focal length.

 

As I've posted many times I know people say 24mm isn't wide enough LOL......

 

It has been for me since 2016 when I switched totally to compact shooting 🙂

 

DH

 

IMG_6849.jpeg

Edited by dhaas
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

PS - I sold my Canon G7X II camera for an insane $$$$ as soon as I returned home.

 

It seems "young Vloggers" think the Canon G7X II (debuted in 2017 for around $650 USD) and the Canon G7X III (debuted in 2019 around $749 USD) are simply the coolest thing going. They shoot what I think are totally unflattering full flash portraits of themselves and friends, but hey, whatever you like is fine with me!

 

The G7X III added 4K video and couple other features but not Phase detection AF like Sony's RX100 V / VA / VII models. 

 

It seems these Vloggers WOWWED by these little cameras have driven prices up for cameras that are even discontinued.

 

I don't have a trip coming up for a bit so can sit and wait until used prices come back down and have done so buying and selling several over the past 2-5 years. 

 

I still own two Fantasea FG7X II housings and Air Lenses so I'm set for whatever my next move is going forward.

 

I also sold my Inon S220 strobe to a fellow compact shooter who wanted a 2nd Inon S220. So now I'm totally "strobeless".

 

I may only shoot WA ambient light B&W (or color) in my remaining days diving. It's been 55 years blowing bubbles and I'm fine with my decision........

 

Being totally lazy on traveling light and obsessed with my "less is more" philosophy your choices should satisfy you and you alone.

 

As long as you're enjoying the underwater world I hope all travel and shoot whatever you desire too.

 

I plan on that approach 🙂

 

DH

 

IMG_0649.jpeg

 

 

IMG_0033.jpeg

IMG_0529.jpeg

IMG_0596.jpeg

IMG_0640.jpeg

Edited by dhaas
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Bali24 Dive trip and thoughts
2 hours ago, dhaas said:

The Fantasea wide angle "Air Lens" pops on and off my Fantasea FG7X II housing restoring my Canon G7X II cameras native widest 24mm focal length.


Love the super small foot print!  Reminds me of my G11 rig.  Even with a pair of S-2000s it was tiny.  Easy to transport; easy to use.  Seems I’ve gone waaaaaay the other direction.
😳😂

 

There are days “less is more” really speaks to me.  Great pics!

 

Edited by ChipBPhoto
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I met David Haas in 1990 while we were in this David Doubilet workshop. I can assure you that at that time Davis was not such a minimalist. We still talk frequently and debate the merits of two old guys carrying large systems when we have both shot tens of thousands of UW photos.

 

 

DSC05869.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A nice variety of shots. 

 

Whereabouts did you dive? I've done 2 trips to Tualmben the last 2 years, and will return 2025/26 so am happy with that area. I snorkelled Menjangen this year and will dive there next year, but I'm guessing you were further south - Nusa Penida maybe?

 

Please can you let me know who you dived with (if you were happy with them!) so I can start looking around for the future

 

cheers

 

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pooley, 

 

I host a few trips now and then with my partner from Southern California, Evan of www.seasickproductions.com

 

After many, MANY years of organizing trips and selling underwater photo gear (Aquatica, Ikelite and Fantasea) all I wanted to do in my "senior years" was take easy going fun people diving 🙂 

 

I still host UW shooters with large systems, small rig shooters (Olympus TG6 /7 is super popular anywhere macro critters are) plus Smart Phones and GoPro folks. Everyone's welcome 🙂

 

Here's the trip and I was Group 2 of this 3rd group.....

 

https://www.seasickproductions.com/bali-61824

 

Basically it was Tulamben for all my dives. Evan has an incredible ward winning video on the www.seasickproductions.com home page all shot right out front where we dived 🙂

 

We had access to a boat for 1/2 days and alternated between that and shore guided dives. All the sites we did were barely 5-10 minuted away via their little trucks. Guides haul everything for the shore dives including bringing your tank into and out of the water after you wade in with just your mask and fins. Big camera systems too (they're experienced with them.)

 

Bali is bargain and you can find all manner of accommodations in Tulamben.

 

DH

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 

In Phil's photo I am the young guy on the far right underwater 🙂

 

I few month prior to that class I had torn my right Achilles tendon but was determined to be "dive ready" and I was 🙂

 

This was one of a very few (2?) "underwater photography courses" David Doubilet ever ran and he shared with us insights in image making that I still recall......I like to tell folks he taught to "see" or at least try LOL.....

 

And Phil's right, I was a large system guy for many years!

 

All in fun 🙂

 

DH

 

PS - The Nurse shark and Manta shots were from Maldive's trips and only dropped in as I was babbling about my choice of compact systems.......

 

Sorry for any confusion !!!!!

Edited by dhaas
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, dhaas said:

 

In Phil's photo I am the young guy on the far right underwater 🙂

 

I few month prior to that class I had torn my right Achilles tendon but was determined to be "dive ready" and I was 🙂

 

This was one of a very few (2?) "underwater photography courses" David Doubilet ever ran and he shared with us insights in image making that I still recall......I like to tell folks he taught to "see" or at least try LOL.....

 

And Phil's right, I was a large system guy for many years!

 

All in fun 🙂

 

DH

 

PS - The Nurse shark and Manta shots were from Maldive's trips and only dropped in as I was babbling about my choice of compact systems.......

 

Sorry for any confusion !!!!!

Thanks for posting those photos @dhaas Good stuff, and I like the compact footprint. I'm waiting for a 1" sensor that focuses like a Sony, close up like an Olympus TG and has the battery life to dive all day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2024 at 7:22 PM, dhaas said:

Pooley, 

 

I host a few trips now and then with my partner from Southern California, Evan of www.seasickproductions.com

 

After many, MANY years of organizing trips and selling underwater photo gear (Aquatica, Ikelite and Fantasea) all I wanted to do in my "senior years" was take easy going fun people diving 🙂 

 

I still host UW shooters with large systems, small rig shooters (Olympus TG6 /7 is super popular anywhere macro critters are) plus Smart Phones and GoPro folks. Everyone's welcome 🙂

 

Here's the trip and I was Group 2 of this 3rd group.....

 

https://www.seasickproductions.com/bali-61824

 

Basically it was Tulamben for all my dives. Evan has an incredible ward winning video on the www.seasickproductions.com home page all shot right out front where we dived 🙂

 

We had access to a boat for 1/2 days and alternated between that and shore guided dives. All the sites we did were barely 5-10 minuted away via their little trucks. Guides haul everything for the shore dives including bringing your tank into and out of the water after you wade in with just your mask and fins. Big camera systems too (they're experienced with them.)

 

Bali is bargain and you can find all manner of accommodations in Tulamben.

 

DH

 

 

 

Cheers for the reply - but you did have me a  little confused with the bigger stuff!

 

 

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Thanks For Your Support

    backscatter_block.gif
    backscatter_block.gif
    Fotosubshop_Logo_Longnew.png
    isotta_logo.png

    INONlogo_Waterpixel.jpg

    marelux.gif
    nauticam_WPX.jpg

    RPV Banner.png

    Retra2.png

    SeaandSeaLogo.png

    turtlelogo.png

    image001.png

    image.png

    image.png

    XRAY Magazine
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.