Housing Lanyards

Well, here it is, my new system: the NA6700 housing with the WWL-1B and a lanyard i made myself.

One thing i'd like to add (besides strobes) is a handstrap on the right handle. But sadly Nauticam doesn't have one (i asked them).  

image.jpeg

Edited by kallebumba
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, kallebumba said:

Well, here it is, my new system: the NA6700 housing with the WWL-1B and a lanyard i made myself.

nullOne thing i'd like to add (besides strobes) is a handstrap on the right handle. But sadly Nauticam doesn't have one (i asked them).  

image.jpeg

That lanyard is first rate! I figure you can make your own hand strap with those skills. In fact, I'm sure people will buy your lanyards if you were to offer them up. I'm sure you've seen how much manufacturers are charging for those things.

• Like 1

Yes, they are pretty easy to make.

I used this guide to make mine, its in german, but the images show how its done: https://www.paracord.de/paracord-knupftechnik

This one creates kind of a double lanyard since you don't stop after reaching one end. Instead you continue to go back to the start (step 11 and following).

As for the handstrap i'm thiniking about to create a lanyard with some bungee cord i have laying around. This might make it kind of stretchy so that i can use it with or without gloves. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kallebumba said:

So here an image of my selfmade handstrap. I uesd 4mm bungee cord to make this:

null

image.jpeg

na6700handstrap2.jpg

That's awesome! And the blue matches your eyes, eh?

• Like 2

I'd suggest you setup your equipment in the usual way that you would carry it on to a dive boat - or would want it handed down to you in the water.

Then tie a length of rope/line/string on a couple of points that you can use to attach it. Lift your gear by the string and decide whether the length of the line feels right or not. Adjust as necessary- then measure it. 

There's no scientific method. It's what feels right and then go with the nearest available commercial lanyard size. Or WAY better, make your own. Colour, style, length, fittings... all yours to choose.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 7:50 PM, kallebumba said:

One thing i'd like to add (besides strobes) is a handstrap on the right handle. But sadly Nauticam doesn't have one (i asked them).  

For Standard Handles (28113)
https://www.nauticam.com/products/hand-strap-for-28113-for-na-1dxii-d500-d5-80d-5div-a9

for Mirrorless IL Camera & Compact Camera Housing - Standard (36316)
https://www.nauticam.com/products/hand-strap-for-mirrorless-il-camera-compact-camera-housing-standard

for MIL & Compact Camera Housing (36323)

https://www.nauticam.com/products/long-hand-strap-for-mirrorless-il-camera-compact-camera-housing

For Optional Small Handles on NA-1DXII/D500/D5/80D/A9 (28131)
https://www.nauticam.com/products/hand-strap-for-28123-for-na-1dxii-d500-d5-80d-a9

Will none of the above fit ?

Otherwise, as noted by @kallebumba, paracord.eu is your friend - below DYI lanyard used with NA-OM1, XDeep compact boltsnaps. Not the prettiest but works like a charm. Same material is great for reef hooks as well.

image.jpeg

Edited by makar0n

Hi Makaron, hi Tim,

You convinced me. Looking at my housing the distance between the two holes in the plates is already 28cm. I'd prefer shackles and strong colors, so I'll do one by myself.

How much paracord do I need? 5-10 times the length?

Yay! Good man. I use 12x the length measured in inches. Sounds a lot, I know. But I’ve made a good number and that works well. 

IMG_0721.jpeg

Edited by TimG
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, TimG said:

(...) measured in inches. (...)

You are back in Europe now, and continental one at that. Time to stop with this silliness 😂

1 hour ago, fruehaufsteher2 said:

Hi Makaron, hi Tim,

You convinced me. Looking at my housing the distance between the two holes in the plates is already 28cm. I'd prefer shackles and strong colors, so I'll do one by myself.

How much paracord do I need? 5-10 times the length?

Hmm depends  on the way you knot/tie it really, in addition to the thickness of the cord. I think I've used maybe 1.5m+ or so (lanyard length 29-30cm) but then mine is quite thick and and not as fine as Tim's one for example. Anyways, those cords are cheap and come in variety of flavors, including various strengths, and you will always find some use in diving for the remaining one 😉

Looking at my old order confirmation I've used the one below - complete overkill with a tensile strength of 1202 kg...it was originally destined to be part of a reef hook...

https://www.paracord.de/battlecord-neon-orange

Edited by makar0n
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, makar0n said:

You are back in Europe now, and continental one at that. Time to stop with this silliness 😂

Ohhh, that metric system thing? It's like guitar bands and a tunnel under the Channel - it'll never catch on... 

• Haha 3

Here's the video I used to get started - hence the reference (forgive me, lord) to inches and the imperial system. (The Empire Strikes Back?)

I found this video quite good to follow and, as I said, his rule of thumb 1" = 12" of paracord was pretty accurate for the type of paracord I was using.

I must admit I didn't realise there were many options of paracord (thanks, Makar0n). I started making them in Sint Maarten and there was only one option available! Island life, eh?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, makar0n said:

For Standard Handles (28113)
https://www.nauticam.com/products/hand-strap-for-28113-for-na-1dxii-d500-d5-80d-5div-a9

for Mirrorless IL Camera & Compact Camera Housing - Standard (36316)
https://www.nauticam.com/products/hand-strap-for-mirrorless-il-camera-compact-camera-housing-standard

for MIL & Compact Camera Housing (36323)

https://www.nauticam.com/products/long-hand-strap-for-mirrorless-il-camera-compact-camera-housing

For Optional Small Handles on NA-1DXII/D500/D5/80D/A9 (28131)
https://www.nauticam.com/products/hand-strap-for-28123-for-na-1dxii-d500-d5-80d-a9

Will none of the above fit ?

No, none of these will fit. I emailed Nauticam abouz a handstrap and they confirmed that they are not offering a handstrap for the NA6700 housing.

Posted (edited)

Just took some measurements:

Distance of attachment points: 26cm

Length lanyard (including boltsnaps): 34cm

Length lanyard (without boltsnaps): 19cm

This results in ca. 10cm distance between the top of the housing and my finger in the second image.

image.jpeg

LanyardLength2.jpg

Edited by kallebumba
  • Like 1

Just to add to this, I would advocate for a shackle as  an integral way to attach the lanyard to the hole in the handle bracket. I have seen a boltsnap slip whilst the camera was being handed down to a diver.... fortunately all was well. Trying to repeat the failure back on the boat showed the owner just how easy his boltsnap slipped out when the bracket edge came up against the opening of the snap.  He was able to repeat it with ease..so put it away for the rest of the trip.

• Like 1

It's a lot nicer to have your carry lanyard at the top of your first pair of Arms. You can carry the rig without it being unbalanced, and it's much easier to hand up to a boat from in the water. 

IMG20240720134228 (Small).jpg

Edited by Dave_Hicks
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 7:29 AM, kallebumba said:

So here an image of my selfmade handstrap. I uesd 4mm bungee cord to make this:

null

image.jpeg

na6700handstrap2.jpg

Your handstrap looks good and I plan to weave one.  A couple of questions:  Did you use the double cobra weave?  How long 4 mm bungie did you need (12:1 ratio)?

Thank you!

3 hours ago, gstrek said:

Your handstrap looks good and I plan to weave one.  A couple of questions:  Did you use the double cobra weave?  How long 4 mm bungie did you need (12:1 ratio)?

Its just a basic cobra weave. 12:1 sounds about right, it was something around 1,8m to 2m.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to kallebumba, I made a handle strap and it was very easy!  I felt the limited contact against the back of my hand would make it difficult to shoot one handed so I added part of an old camcorder strap and it seemed to provide more support. Now I just need to test it out underwater!

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-23 at 08.35.44.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-23 at 08.35.37.jpeg

• Like 3

On 7/23/2024 at 11:40 PM, Hiloboy said:

Thanks to kallebumba, I made a handle strap and it was very easy!  I felt the limited contact against the back of my hand would make it difficult to shoot one handed so I added part of an old camcorder strap and it seemed to provide more support. Now I just need to test it out underwater!

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-23 at 08.35.44.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-23 at 08.35.37.jpeg

love this... will make one

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.