Gopro case damaged

Hello, the last day of my recent diving holiday I found water drops inside the original case of my GPH12.

I noticed the white silicon oring damaged by the closure mechanism.

Gopro has substituted the case, by the way I suppose the trouble might happen again. What do you think about this issue? 

Thank you

I usually find the problem is related to my own inattention. I've damaged quite a few things, but I try to slow down when putting gear together, and I pull my o-rings and put them in a plastic bag when I'm not using the equipment for an extended time. Others leave their o-rings in place, but I suspect they get compressed over time.

Thank you for your suggestions. I was't concerned about such problems with gopro original case. With other gear I always manage oring carefully, I posted this message just to understand if someone had noted the same problem. Have a nice day!

• Like 1

Yeah, it's pretty low-maintenance compared to other gear.
Unless it's changed with recent upgrades, for previous models GoPro asked used  to avoid lubricating the o-rings, and just clean then with fresh water (which i suspect is probably intended to avoid users using the wrong lubricant on the material)

• Like 1

That type of booklet closure is subject to those problems. When you close the housing pay attention to the cleanliness of the o-ring and close very precisely checking that the o-ring is not pinched. Especially in the part near the hinge. When it is closed, spend a second of time checking that the o-ring is positioned correctly.

• Like 2

It's advised from the most of underwater rig's manufacturers to change the oring once per year. So, you could buy some spares to avoid future issues. Also, locking up the housing slower and checking out the behavior of the o-ring can help. Sometimes, I have accidentally trapped my o-ring while closing up the housing and learnt from that. 

• Like 2

Don't know if this is still the case but a friend a few year's back took out his GoPro o-ring to "clean it" (it's really a flat compression silicone gasket.)

When he installed it back in he didn't pay attention to one detail and flooded his housing (!!!!!!)

He was then told by another GoPro housing user the flat gasket has one side with a very thin almost imperceptible line running down the middle. Evidently this "racing stripe" should be facing OUT towards where the door flattens the gasket.

Again, I'm not sure as I'm not a GoPro housing owner / user.

Just thought I'd share that anecdote.......

D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you search on the net, you will find that it's the most wanted part. Unfortunately you are forced to buy a new housing. 

Is it an original housing? A possible solution is using the "skeleton door" which comes with some original Gopro housing kits. It's the back door (only the frame) which allow you to use the touch screen. This skeleton door has the same gasket that could be used as spare part. IDK what the gasket is used for.

Good luck

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.