Nauticam SMC-3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Dr. Mustard for sharing some of the first images of our new SMC-3 !

What I wanted to achieve was to make use of the experience I accumulated over the years to improve one of the best macro lens even further. 

While maintaining the same magnification, with the use of some extreme glass material (very high refractive index and special dispersion character), I was able to reduce 1/3 of the weight of the original SMC-1, 40% of the thickness, while increased the longest working distance by 8mm.

Theoretically, internal reflection has been eliminated.  Yet to be confirmed from extensive field tests.

Edward

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Edward Lai said:

Thanks to Dr. Mustard for sharing some of the first images of our new SMC-3 !

What I wanted to achieve was to make use of the experience I accumulated over the years to improve one of the best macro lens even further. 

While maintaining the same magnification, with the use of some extreme glass material (very high refractive index and special dispersion character), I was able to reduce 1/3 of the weight of the original SMC-1, 40% of the thickness, while increased the longest working distance by 8mm.

Theoretically, internal reflection has been eliminated.  Yet to be confirmed from extensive field tests.

Edward

Wow. Now that sounds very interesting.

I regard the SMC-1 as very sharp. 

In fact, on some of my photographs, it's provided a sharper output than the lens itself (with using the diopter).

I'm very excited and looking forward. 

Thanks for this snippet of info, Edward. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ChipBPhoto said:

Already ordered mine!

Do you already have an Smc-1? I am curious what hole or need this fills for you? Isn't it the same magnification as the Smc-1?

I have the Subsee +5 & +10, but rarely use the +10. It's 3.5x magnification is just too tiny for my tastes most of the time. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dave_Hicks said:

Do you already have an Smc-1? I am curious what hole or need this fills for you? Isn't it the same magnification as the Smc-1?

I have the Subsee +5 & +10, but rarely use the +10. It's 3.5x magnification is just too tiny for my tastes most of the time. 

Great question.  The new one is positioned as an upgraded version of the SMC-1.  I am told the focus is more even across the plain, lighter, and a little easier overall to use.  Alex M has been using one for several months and likes it.  A bit of an impulse buy being sight unseen, but from other insiders it sounds like a nice update.  

Is it a must-buy if the SMC-1 is already in the kit?  Probably not, but I am doing a great deal more macro and will take the upgrades.  I’ll let you know in a few weeks once it arrives.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ChipBPhoto said:

Great question.  The new one is positioned as an upgraded version of the SMC-1.  I am told the focus is more even across the plain, lighter, and a little easier overall to use.  Alex M has been using one for several months and likes it.  A bit of an impulse buy being sight unseen, but from other insiders it sounds like a nice update.  

Is it a must-buy if the SMC-1 is already in the kit?  Probably not, but I am doing a great deal more macro and will take the upgrades.  I’ll let you know in a few weeks once it arrives.  

I'd just say it does the same job as the SMC-1 (but is also optimised to work with the Sony 90mm as well as the 100/105mm lenses) and incorporates what Nauticam have learned about optics in the 10 years since the SMC-1 was introduced. 

If you have an SMC-1 and are happy there is no need to upgrade. If your SMC-1 is getting a bit tatty then this is a good reason to replace it. If you shoot Sony and regularly see the cut off with the SMC-1, then this gets rid of it. 

Alex

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2024 at 11:59 PM, ChipBPhoto said:

Based on the N85 chart, the SMC is only recommended for the Oly 90.  The CMCs are more widely used for m43.

Yes of course, mine was a curiosity because for video a CMC-1 is really difficult to use and I saw this one has a longer working range.

Compatible Lenses (More Coming Soon)

• Nikon AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
  • Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S Macro
  • Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
  • Canon RF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM
  • Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM
  • Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS
  • Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f2.8 Macro
  • Panasonic LEICA DG MACRO-ELMARIT 45mm F2.8 ASPH. EGA O.I.S.

7 hours ago, hellhole said:

Compatible Lenses (More Coming Soon)

• Nikon AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
  • Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S Macro
  • Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
  • Canon RF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM
  • Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM
  • Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS
  • Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f2.8 Macro
  • Panasonic LEICA DG MACRO-ELMARIT 45mm F2.8 ASPH. EGA O.I.S.

My lens 😍

On 10/16/2024 at 4:31 AM, Whiskeyjack said:

I use the Oly 90 and can't imagine using a diopter with it! You coudl get some crazy magnification though I'm sure...

No, I can't imagine using the Oly 90mm with the SMC- 3 either it's hard enough with the lens on 2x .... But I'll throw out a challenge to someone willing and able to take the first picture of Shaun the Sheep's testicles.   

Do I also hear the sound of many photographers singing?  

🎵 "All I want for Christmas is an SMC-3?" 🎵

Sorry for using the C- word in October... 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, JustinO said:

No, I can't imagine using the Oly 90mm with the SMC- 3 either it's hard enough with the lens on 2x .... But I'll throw out a challenge to someone willing and able to take the first picture of Shaun the Sheep's testicles.   

Do I also hear the sound of many photographers singing?  

🎵 "All I want for Christmas is an SMC-3?" 🎵

Sorry for using the C- word in October... 

This guy would make great use of it

https://www.facebook.com/fredimiri.schaschl/videos/852943360375834

• Like 1

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.