Waterproof Case for GoPro?

I’m looking to put GoPro’s underwater to film for a few hours but the batteries won’t last that long in cold water. Therefore, I’m looking for a small case that would give me room to put the camera and a few extra batteies to keep the camera powered. 3D printing is also an option but would have to dig into O-ring groove design and figured there are better options out there.

Thinking it’s probably a DIY solution but could be purchased too. Anyone have any suggestions that won’t break the bank? Case will be less than 10ft deep. There are two main problems that I see.

1) Finding a waterproof case. My understanding is that most cases that are avertised as "waterproof" aren't actually meant to be underwater for hours at a time. Pelican cases for example are IP67 meaning they are rated for up to 1 meter underwater for 30 minutes.

2) If I don't find a clear case for the GoPro to look out, I could attach a dome to the case so the camera can look out but not sure how to waterproof it to the case. Perhaps epoxy?

Davide was working on a shallow cold-water (river) project with a digipower case giving 3 hours or so of filming

IIRC the waterproof battery pack is this one here, digipower refuel

https://digipower.com/collections/re-fuel/products/9hr-actionpack-extended-battery-module-for-hero9-ip68-waterproof-dust-proof-all-weather

it was used with new wide lenses, see here:

https://waterpixels.net/forums/topic/616-inon-and-aoi-wide-angle-wet-lenses-for-gopros/page/2/#comment-3616

• Like 1

Yes, as Ben wrote i used a Digipowr case compatible with the latest GoPro (12 at least). I bought an old version for a GoPro5 too.

I was able to get up to 4 hours, sometime more at 4k@50p in a 9°C river water.

The DigiPower case/battery gives you the same standard waterproofing as the GoPro.

The only problem I had was with the AOI lens. After about an hour the image degraded terribly. Partly due to suspension particles sticking to the lens and partly due to some kind of blurring of the Gopro's inner lens. We could never quite figure out what it was due to. the AOI lens works like a WWL and so there is water flow between it and the Gopro lens. Eventually we didn't use it anymore because we threw away some very important images because of it. but the Digipower case/battery goes like a bomb.

PXL_20240209_170435137~2.jpg

• Like 1

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.