Nauticam Fisheye Conversion Port shipping Mid January

7 hours ago, Sokrates said:

What does it do so much better to justify the price, which is very steep?

For full frame cameras it allows zoom between full frame fisheye(180° diagonal)  and something approaching a 24-28mm rectilinear lens across the horizontal axis - depending on what lens you use it with.  Previously you could only get this on APS-C with the tokina 10-17 and with m43 with an adapted 8-15mm lens.  This is otherwise something you can't achieve that on full frame and is a very useful range for wide angle shots covering reef scenics and CFWA plus some chance of zooming in for sharks and pelagics which are too distant to shoot with the 180° diagonal fisheye.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2023 at 10:10 PM, Sergio said:

Wow, that’s quite the price tag they put on that thing. For some reason I thought I had read a post from Alex mustard that it was about as heavy as a big dome, so about 2.5-3kg but it seems heavier.

The prototype weighed 2.6kg, so slightly less than Nauticam's 230mm dome. 

I've not seen the production version. My understanding is that the production version is the same size, but now has two aspherical elements in the lens for improved optics. But we will see in the new year.

Alex

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The small size makes the lens great for CFWA, as well as everything you would use a fisheye for. Also the zoom range is very impressive. You can shoot all your normal scenic wide angle: 

image.jpeg

But with the zoom and the small size of the front element - you can shoot down to some very small subjects - all with the same lens. 

The photo below is shows a pair of clownfish (uncropped) also taken with the FCP. These are both with Sony 28-60mm lens. 

IMG_8316-copy copy.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Chris Ross said:

For full frame cameras it allows zoom between full frame fisheye(180° diagonal)  and something approaching a 24-28mm rectilinear lens across the horizontal axis - depending on what lens you use it with.  Previously you could only get this on APS-C with the tokina 10-17 and with m43 with an adapted 8-15mm lens.  This is otherwise something you can't achieve that on full frame and is a very useful range for wide angle shots covering reef scenics and CFWA plus some chance of zooming in for sharks and pelagics which are too distant to shoot with the 180° diagonal fisheye.

This is very right. In addition, one can use the Tokina 10-17mm on MFT with the 0.71x speedbooster (this is the way intended by Nauticam) to get 7-12mm - a similar range compared to Canon 8-15mm or the FCP on FF. By using the Tokina on MFT with both glassless 1x and 0.71x adapters one can cover the range of FCP (0.71x) and WACP (1x) with just one lens and two adapters - at very good IQ...

Wolfgang

I think it will physically work for splits shots - but it is optimised around a small front element to be able to get very close to UW subjects when needed - so is not well suited to split levels. It will also be heavy to lift out of the water. 

On the abbreviations we usually go with 

WACP - What A Cool Port

but we're struggling with F - Cool Port!

Alex

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

5700£ or 6500 euro and it weights 2,6 kg so we have:

1. White truffle of Alba - 3000 €/kg
  2. WACP - 2500 €/kg
  3. Kobe beef - 1000 €/kg

So it's, errrr, actually a really good deal??

• Haha 1

Lens will work with 35.5 N100 N120 adaptor or new 35mm extension ring N100

Based on my calculations this FCP is going to be 1.7 kg heavier than Canon 8-15mm + Kenko taking into account different weight of the Sony 28-60 and all the parts gear and extension required

By no means a light set up that is challenging for certain high energy situations put it that way

Hi, 

Does anyone know the true angle of coverage zoom range of the FCP with the popular lenses?

I've read 170 (and also 180) degrees at the widest... which I assume is at 28mm, whether it's the Sony 28-60 or the ancient Nikon 28-70 or the new Nikon Z 24-50 (when zoomed in to 28mm.)

But what about the long/narrow end? I've read (and heard) "130 degrees"... and also "about the Tokina 10-17 at 17", which I believe was 100 degrees at 17mm on DX... 130 and 100 degrees are noticeably different, so apparently there's some inaccuracies in the grapevine at this time. I've also heard "about 110 degrees."

I assume that the narrow end of the particular zoom lens being used with the FCP will dictate the narrowest angle of coverage... So, does anyone know the true angle of view at 60mm on the Sony 28-60 lens? At 50 on the Nikon Z 24-50? And, not to forget the past, the long end of the ancient Nikon 28-70 and Canon 28-70 slow, cheap, kit lenses?

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.