Nauticam Fisheye Conversion Port shipping Mid January

Unfortunately it seems that the FCP is not "usable" on my Nikon D850 DSLRs with my old Nikkor 28-70mm, that previously worked perfectly  with the WACP-C....

Looking the chart port Nauticam for the FCP, it seems that the 28-70mm is usable only from 35mm to 70mm ... so the angle of view is only of 122° and not 170° at 35mm... 

With the WACP-C this angle was 130°... more or less....

I am very sad... because I have already sold my WACP-C... 🥴

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Architeuthis said:

The FCP-1 portchart is now available at the Nauticam homepage: https://www.nauticam.com/pages/copy-of-0-36x-wacp-wide-angle-conversion-port-chart

Looks like Canon 28-70 / 28 - 80 do not work too well with FCP-1. Zoom range is only 32 - 70. You get basically the same range as WACP-C (142º vs 130º) for more than twice the price...

Since the 28-80 and 28-70 protrudes a bit at both the end positions I assume there is too little room in front to accommodate these lenses fully.

Too bad, I was interested in the FCP-1, but I guess I have to go with a WACP-C instead. Anyone selling theirs?

Looking at the port chart this adapter is designed with mirrorless cameras on mind

I am still fairly skeptic about the declared field of view at narrow end

Sony 28-60 170-74 degrees makes no sense

170-90 would be something more reasonable either way diagonal field of view doesn’t really mean anything so am curious to see how the optics work in practice on the horizontal and vertical axis 

Not sure about the statement that diagonal field of view doesn't mean anything. But I do agree I'm very curious what the actual projection looks like zoomed all the way in. I'd have to see some proper test images before considering it.

Ok, so here is my question...admittedly I know there are only a few who could possibly answer this question...

Which is better, WACP-2 or FCP for mirrorless?

Disregarding price, weight, size, etc...all things being equal.  Figure shooting Whales, Sharks, etc... and CFWA shots.

Edited by Lasongo

1 hour ago, Lasongo said:

Ok, so here is my question...admittedly I know there are only a few who could possibly answer this question...

Which is better, WACP-2 or FCP for mirrorless?

Disregarding price, weight, size, etc...all things being equal.  Figure shooting Whales, Sharks, etc... and CFWA shots.

Shooting cfwa and sharks is a totally different situation 

for those I use the wwl-1 the sharks unless fed don’t come close and super wide options are not required 

Cfwa instead needs very wide angle this is the fcp use case 

as well as fed sharks and mantas cleaning and coming on top of you

sharks in natural environment though are a different use case

Thanks @Interceptor121!  I should have specified...so I shoot 90% in temperate waters that more often than not have uncertain visibility (California, New Zealand, southern South America, etc...) and a lot of those times I can't use strobes/lights for a variety of reasons (animal size/temperament, govt regulations, etc...).

On my last work assignment, I used a WACP-2 with a 14mm Sony lens and wasn't too pleased with the outcome.  That was mainly due to questionable vis that didn't allow me any zoom capability.  Admittedly, I've since purchased a 16-35mm lens, but only used it a couple of times and have thus far been please with it when paired with the WACP-2.  Also admittedly, I've only used the 16-35/WACP-2 combo on recreational shoots.

That said, the FOV on the WACP-2 w/ 16-35mm (or the 14mm) (128 or 140 degrees max) isn't comparable to the FCP w/ a 28-60mm or 28-70mm (170 degrees on both according to port chart)

However, the WACP-2 does let me shoot with lower f-stops while keeping everything still relatively sharp, that helps A LOT in those no-artificial-light-environments.

I guess what I'm asking, is does the FCP give me extra degrees of FOV AND maintain corner sharpness at lower F-stops (like the WACP)?  Or is the FCP only extra degrees of FOV, but I need to keep higher f-stops (like a normal dome)?

1 hour ago, Lasongo said:

Thanks @Interceptor121!  I should have specified...so I shoot 90% in temperate waters that more often than not have uncertain visibility (California, New Zealand, southern South America, etc...) and a lot of those times I can't use strobes/lights for a variety of reasons (animal size/temperament, govt regulations, etc...).

On my last work assignment, I used a WACP-2 with a 14mm Sony lens and wasn't too pleased with the outcome.  That was mainly due to questionable vis that didn't allow me any zoom capability.  Admittedly, I've since purchased a 16-35mm lens, but only used it a couple of times and have thus far been please with it when paired with the WACP-2.  Also admittedly, I've only used the 16-35/WACP-2 combo on recreational shoots.

That said, the FOV on the WACP-2 w/ 16-35mm (or the 14mm) (128 or 140 degrees max) isn't comparable to the FCP w/ a 28-60mm or 28-70mm (170 degrees on both according to port chart)

However, the WACP-2 does let me shoot with lower f-stops while keeping everything still relatively sharp, that helps A LOT in those no-artificial-light-environments.

I guess what I'm asking, is does the FCP give me extra degrees of FOV AND maintain corner sharpness at lower F-stops (like the WACP)?  Or is the FCP only extra degrees of FOV, but I need to keep higher f-stops (like a normal dome)?

I think for those type of shots wacp-1/wwl-1 is fine 

Hammerheads in ambient light you could be at 40-50mm zoom on those solutions 

i wonder how close they are coming to your wacp-2 if you are already zoomed in I see zero point to n a wider lens

I took the production FCP-1 to Raja Ampat in the secoind half of January and did over 20 dives with it (shooting about 3000 pictures with it). Mainly because once it is on the camera - you realise that there is little reason to take it off. 

I also took the prototype FCP (left, below) on the trip too and that was used on pretty much every single dive too - as it was shared around my group.

image.jpeg

Raja Ampat wide angle is a mix of scenery, big animals (sharks, turtles, mantas) and schools of fish, with the occasionally mid-sized reef critter. All of which the FCP is perfect for. 

I shot the FCP with the Sony 28-60mm - which works perfectly. But I am definitely a bit jealous of Nikon Z and Canon R users who in addition to using 24-50mm lenses can also use 14-30 and 14-35mm zooms with it. This makes the FCP a totally different tool - at 14mm it is a circular fisheye (the shade is super easy to take on and off) then at 28mm a normal fisheye, which you can then zoom in a useful amount at 30 or 35mm. 

I will share some photos when I get time to look at them. Busy with the UPY contest at the moment, which announces in less than two weeks! 

Alex

Edited by Alex_Mustard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

There should be Sony event next week with rumors for 24-50 f/2.8G And 16-25 f/2.8G being released.

Both sound like interesting choices, but G series lens will be most likely expensive on top of the FCP.

57 minutes ago, Sokrates said:

There should be Sony event next week with rumors for 24-50 f/2.8G And 16-25 f/2.8G being released.

Both sound like interesting choices, but G series lens will be most likely expensive on top of the FCP.

Large aperture short lenses not sure those will be relevant to anything else than a dome

54 minutes ago, Architeuthis said:

MAYBE the 24-50 f2.8 will work together with WWL-C...

The leaked image doesn't show the front element, but I would be quite surprised if it's not in the 62-72mm filter size range, which would preclude compatibility with wet lenses. The 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II uses an 82mm filter.

Today I took a deep breath and ordered  a FCP. Delivery will start end of Feb.

To my great pleasure we planned two dive trips in near future, Cabo and Maledives (Dharavandhoo and Fuvamulah). So if everything goes as planned I can share first hands on at the end of May. 🫣 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fruehaufsteher2 said:

Today I took a deep breath and ordered  a FCP. Delivery will start end of Feb.

Congratulations!!  It only hurts when you get the credit card bill. 😂

Look forward to hearing what you think.

• Haha 1

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.