Advice needed to un-Stuck Shutter on OLY E-M5 Camera

Argh - not good. Obvious comment, but it's stuck for a reason. I guess you've already tried the usual "reboot" - switching it off and on. If that doesn't clear it, I'd have thought something mechanical has gone wrong and that, to me, indicates a repair job. Bummer.

thinking it should go for repair... Could try turning the camera on, no lens. 

give the camera a good knock with your palm of your other hand to the base. See if it releases. not super hard but a good few knocks. What could it hurt at this point. but sending in seems sound advice. 

I have an EM-1 mk1 where the shutter stuck from time to time.

Yes, some gentle knock on the body most of the time unstuck the shutter.

I now usually use only the silent mode (that use only electronic shutter) on that body. But not flash compatible.
This is acceptable as this is not my main body.

I had a previous EM-1 mk1 with same issue, and I had to send it to repair for another reason, and after that shutter issue was fix and never happen again.

This seems to be a common issue with Oly bodies 😞 

I once read in a forum that this is/was a frequent issue with the shutter on the E-PL3. Apparently, a hearty whack on your knee (or two) could get those back into operation. Unfortunately I can't find that thread anymore. I never tried it myself, obviously this is not exactly the kind of treatment that the Olympus manual suggests and I would not try this as the new "power-on routine". I guess getting it repaired is the most reliable solution, but the "whacking" might save you when you're on a trip?

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.