The sharks and the hot tub

Ido

It was only 30 minutes drive from my house to an interesting spot.

A massive power plant right next to the beach draws dozens of sharks each winter - mostly females.

There's a weird scenario happening in a very small place. In a disturbingly confined area, sharks, divers, snorkelers, kayakers are all together.  With limited success, a helpless renger tries to control the traffic.

Poor visibility, strong currents, and old fishing gear on the seafloor make it challenging to dive there.

Is that an interesting experience? Yes. Recommended? Not really.

_IDO4271-Edit.jpg

srg.dji.jpg

Edited by Ido
  • Thanks 1

Wow - even more interesting - i googled it apparently it's dusky sharks and sandbar sharks mostly

https://www.forbes.com/sites/melissacristinamarquez/2019/02/12/escaping-the-cold-sharks-huddle-around-thermal-power-station-in-israel/?sh=74f606973180

There's also a video of Orot Rabin :

This sent me down a rabbit hole on the eastern side of the Mediterranean - apprently duskies and greys are also frequently spotted off Beirut nowadays, something I no clue about...

There's a video was taken off the bay of Jounieh (!!!), apparently.

and there are plenty of others sighting videos on Youtube, and some dive sites off Beirut are even called "shark point" nowadays:

https://seaworldblog.wordpress.com/2013/07/27/did-you-know-that-lebanon-is-also-a-destination-for-scuba-diving/

There's definitely something going on....  thanks for sharing this!

Edited by bghazzal

3 hours ago, bghazzal said:

Is this in the Red Sea? What sharks are showing up?

As Barmaglot said it is the Mediterranean. About 30 km north of Tel Aviv 

• Like 1

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.