Nauticam or UW Technics TTL Trigger

Hey,

im looking for a new trigger with the possibility of HSS. 

I found nothing on the Nauticam website  if the TTL converter has HSS or not with a Retra pro Max.

so which of these two triggers I should use?

Housing: Nauticam 

Kamera: Canon R5

flash: Retra Pro Max / old YD2 and a MF2

I believe you want the UW Technics trigger if available for your camera.  I have no personal experience with the trt trigger but have seen mixed reviews.  I don't believe nauticam supports HSS

It’s me again 😅.

has anyone experience in booth triggers? 
I once read in another report that the uw technics is not as well made and seems a bit cheaper and more sensitive.
What speaks in its favor is that you don't have to switch it on. I've already realized that I don't have to do that with the
Nauticam trigger from time to time.

I’m amazed anyone would write that the UWT trigger is not as well made. I’ve had an UWT in my Subal housings for about 10 years. The boards have been solid, well made, neat in construction, fitted perfectly in the housings and have behaved flawlessly. 

I have had the occasional minor problem with fixing the LEDs to the bulkheads but that’s not a UWT issue.

• Like 4

I have the same setup as you, housing Nauticam and Canon R5 with UWT trigger.
Always used with no problems, works great and auto start is one less thought.

Used with Retra Pro, Inon Z330, Backscatter MF-1 and AOI Q1.

Only problem, which I am trying to solve is with the R7 trigger, the synchronization with the first electronic curtain stops at 1/200 while it should go to 1/320 as per camera settings. I hope it can be solved with @Pavel Kolpakov

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 8:55 PM, Giancarlo M. said:

I have the same setup as you, housing Nauticam and Canon R5 with UWT trigger.
Always used with no problems, works great and auto start is one less thought.

Only problem, which I am trying to solve is with the R7 trigger, the synchronization with the first electronic curtain stops at 1/200 while it should go to 1/320 as per camera settings.

Hi Giancarlo,

The reason was that you set a wrong Shutter type (probably "electronic" shutter).

Please check the User Manual of TTL Converter, there written that necessary to set "Mechanical" shutter in the camera menu. All available sync speeds for Mechanical Shutter protocol are supported by TTL Converter. According to the Canon R5 camera Specifications, the maximum sync speed with Mechanical Shutter is 1/200. In the R7 camera Specifications it is 1/250. The maximum sync speed is limited automatically by the camera. This maximum sync speed is supported by TTL Converter of course, you can check.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov
  • Like 1

I hope that the new UW Technics models for the Canon R7 work better than the first copies put on sale: I was very disappointed with this equipment last year: 2 triggers out of 2 did not work either at all or very wrong.
Luckily I was able to find one of the latest Nauticam flashes...
Edited by Flo
  • Like 1

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.