Skip to content

Member Introductions / Archived topic

Member Introductions

Started by james ·

  • 3711Posts
  • 3711Replies

Read-only discussion

Member Introductions

3711 posts
  1. Hi. My wife and I spent a little over 2 years living on the island of St Helena in the south atlantic. Neither of us had dived before arriving on the island, but we did our PADI and wow did it blow our minds! The diving around the island was spectacular! Without much to compare to (we hadn't dived before) of course we thought it was amazing - but so many others came by who had dived before who also said it was amazing! Pristine waters, great temperatures, delicate fan coral in many of the caves, unusual species, passing whale sharks, dolphins, humpback whales and many devil rays. We've been back in the UK for 18 months now but still marvel at what an experience it was! Has anyone else been diving on St Helena?

  2. Hi all, been lurking for a few months, and decided to finally formally join. I've got a pretty even mix of cold water and tropical experience and I've just recently upgraded from a GoPro to a micro 4/3 rig, so I've got a lot to learn, but I'm enjoying the journey so far!

  3. Hi all. I've used this site and these forums as a resource for a long time and am finally formally joining the community. I love all things macro and am currently shooting a Nikon D500 in a Nauticam housing.

  4. Greetings from California! My name is Mike and I've been diving for 45 years. In fact, I was first certified in 1977, long before most divemasters I work with were born!

    Over the years, I've worked as a diver at Virgin Island National Park, St. John; did my graduate work in marine ecology on the Great Barrier Reef, and been diving in the Pacific, Red Sea, and Caribbean. Nearly 30 years ago, my wife and I went diving on our honeymoon in Bonaire.

    A few years ago, my two kids got certified in Kona, Hawaii, and I was able to go diving with them for the first time, something I'd waited 40 years to do.

    Even though we've lived on the Monterey Peninsula for many years, I'm a little ashamed to admit I've never been diving here! The water is just too cold; most of my diving has been in warm, tropical waters. My son and I just returned from diving at Gardens of the Queen National Park, Cuba. He is becoming an accomplished diver and underwater photographer.

    I've been shooting photographs underwater ever since I owned a Nikonos II in the late 1970s. Today I'm putting together a Nikon D800E system that I'll write about in a separate post. I've learned a lot about modern underwater photography from Wetpixel. Keep up your good work!

     

    Edited by ridgebackpilot
  5. Hiya,

    Diving since 1993.

    Film photography with Sea&Sea system... still have on a shelf.

    Digital photography starting with Nikon Coolpix 950 (Revolutionary!) in Ikelite housing.

    Now using TG6.

    Diving mostly in Bonaire these days.

    m

  6. Hello All!

    I’m Andrew, and I’m from Raleigh NC.  I’ve been an UW Photographer for a few years now and enjoying learning the craft.  
     

    looking forward to learning more from here!

  7. hi all,

    just re-joining group

  8. On 6/15/2004 at 3:55 PM, james said:

     

    Welcome to Wetpixel!

    It is the most vibrant, knowledgeable and helpful underwater imaging community in the world. This is largely because the members of the community selflessly share their experience and skill. Please try to contribute yours too.

    Please use this topic to write a short introduction to the community.

    Once you have done so, this will unlock the ability to create your own topics in almost all the other forums. 

    The exception is the Classifieds, which is open to members that have contributed at least 3 posts in any other forums (your post in this topic counts as one of these)

    We look forward to your posts!

     

     

    Hello wetpixel community members I am one of the latest newbies.  It has been over 15 years since I went diving last on the Peter Hughes Komodo Dancer liveaboard.  Marriage and life events took me away from the sport.  I started diving in 1987 and began tinkering with underwater photography a few years later.  The progression of photography equipment went from Nikonos V, L&M Tetra 5000 housing with Nikon Coolpix 5000 digital camera.  I am considering getting back into the sport and start using a L&M Titan DSLR housing for Nikon D200 body purchased in 2009, but never used.  I look forward to sharing and learning from other members. 

  9. 1 hour ago, ScubaDivingGolfHound said:

    Nikon Coolpix 5000 digital camera

    Woooohooooo! I remember it well. That was also my first real underwater camera - in a Subal housing although I almost went for the Tetra.

    Welcome SDGH!

  10. Hi,

    I'm Michael. Diving for 7 years and always trying to improve my underwater photo skills. Also an electronics maker and linux programmer.

    Cheers!

  11. Hello my name's Harry, I'm a based in Hong Kong and loving the fact we're able to travel again. Done a lot of diving in HK which can be great but it's always been low visibility. So very happy to be able to get back to the waters of the Philippines!

    I got my padi about 7 years ago and been photographing much longer but love taking photos under water.

    Looking forward to being part of the Wetpixel community & heading to Siquijor soon so will post some pictures from there soon!

  12. Hello all! My name is Kelly. I live in Norman Oklahoma just outside of Oakland city. I’ve been a scuba diver since about 1984 made my first dive in 1979 didn’t get certified until 1984 became instructor in 89 have been teaching ever since. Diving and underwater photography’s are more than hobbies for me their passions something I love to share, living in a landlocked state in the US doesn’t give me the opportunities to dive as if I live somewhere else however, we do a lot of Travel, and I’ve been fortunate to dive all over the world, and make some fantastic dives in my life.  

  13. Hi everyone, my name is Peter and I'm from the tri-state area. I've been diving since 2015 and attempting UW photography since 2018. I look forward to learning from everyone here at WP!

  14. Hi - I'm Jim from Ocean Springs, MS. I'm a longtime diver and short time underwater photographer.  I shoot with the TG-6 and am trying to learn macro.  I just got back from Backscatter's Lightroom Total Immersion and I HIGHLY recommend it!

  15. Hello everyone,

    My name is Sebastian and I've been an avid scuba diver for several years. My first dive was in Islas Baleares (Mallorca) and since then I haven't been able to stop exploring the amazing underwater worlds out there to discover. I love sharing my experiences and knowledge with other scuba enthusiasts and I hope to learn a lot more from all of you through this forum. 

     

  16. Hi all

    When I first started scuba diving, I loved the new world so much I started bringing my camera down with me.

    Currently rocking an RX100 III.

  17. Hi all, I am Mike from Denver. Rebreather diver with limited experience in photography but taking it as a new challenge for the coming year

  18. Hi all! I'm Melissa - from Maryland USA but currently in Australia doing a PhD on coral reef science. I dive for my work but also for fun! Have previously shot with RX100IV but recently loving my TG5. Excited to learn more from you all and get back into taking photos underwater! 

     

     

  19. Hi. I'm Hansol from Korea, south. I dived several times with and without SCUBA gears. nowadays I'm getting intersted in under water photos. I hope I could get used to it. thanks

  20. Hi all,

    I'm actually 100% new to diving but love analog/digital photography (~25 years?). My aunt was a member on this site, and an avid master PADI diver with 2000+ dives around the world, particularly southeast asia. She passed away recently, and I have been looking at the sites/communities she told me about when she shared her dive photography, as I always promised her I'd get certified and go diving (my hope was to go diving with her at the time).

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.