NEW - Backscatter Hybrid Flash

I asked Backscatter and my local dealer (Panocean in Germany) about warranty on the HF-1 strobes: Backscatter gives one year of warranty ("...like our MF-2 strobe and 4300 video lights..." (they did not specify whether flash tube burn-out is included in this warranty), while Panocean gives two years of warranty that includes flash tube burn-out...

Edited by Architeuthis
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I wanted to give everyone an update: We have started shipping the Hybrid Flash today!

Not all orders will be filled today, but they will continue in the next week or 2. If someone ordered through one of our authorized dealers, please check in with them, as some dealers are already starting to receive shipments or will be very soon.

Here is a link to our support page that includes the instruction manual and informational and how to videos:

backscatter.com/HF-1-SUPPORT

• Thanks 3

Very interesting product

Only concern the batteries that are not cheap last 500 cycles only which for Li-Ion is very low

The 2x 21700 Lithium Ion Batteries are the same as the one used in Backscatter MW4300 video light, which is a well designed product.

Side questiom - will this product mean the end of the Backscatter MW4300 videolight, or will both product lines be maintained (which would be great for those of us on the moving-picture fringe who don't need the strobe function)

Also, any info on the CRI of the included 5000 lumen video light?

For comparison, the MW4300 light was 6000 K (calibrated) for an output of 4300 lumen, 85° beam angle and a CRI of 71.1, whereas its tighter Macro/Spot mode was 5000 K ( non calibrated) for an output of 1400 lumen and a CRI 0f 70.3

It would be interesting to know if this product's slightly more powerful video light included in the hybrid flash features a jazzed-up led module.

thanks!

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, James Emery said:

Hi everyone, I wanted to give everyone an update: We have started shipping the Hybrid Flash today!

Not all orders will be filled today, but they will continue in the next week or 2. If someone ordered through one of our authorized dealers, please check in with them, as some dealers are already starting to receive shipments or will be very soon.

Here is a link to our support page that includes the instruction manual and informational and how to videos:

backscatter.com/HF-1-SUPPORT

Edited by hellhole
Edit

6 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

Very interesting product

Only concern the batteries that are not cheap last 500 cycles only which for Li-Ion is very low

Would be nice to have more cycles, but for comparison:

Eneloop AA white have 2100 cycles

Eneloop AA black have 500 cycles

4 hours ago, Architeuthis said:

Would be nice to have more cycles, but for comparison:

Eneloop AA white have 2100 cycles

Eneloop AA black have 500 cycles

One set of eneloop pro £18.5

one set of nitecore £57

ratio 1:3

those batteries are rated 20A that’s a lot of current to recharge and no doubt this strobe will charge faster than others

Couple of other considerations 

the batteries weight 71 grams so two is 140 grams the strobe only weight is 1 kg compared to 630 of sea and sea and 735 of retra pro max

pretty sure the additional weight is due to the large capacitor this strobe must use to hold the GN40

Question for @James Emery is how much do the diffuser absorb? 
i think the default should be the 5500 that looks 1/8 cto to me so I would think a small loss and still plenty of power to go

i will be waiting for @Architeuthis to get and test its unit but this is really promising if you are happy to deal with 1.15 kg on land and more importantly 230 grams negative in water which is unusual

Posted (edited)

Some specification of this strobe are rather creative

it defines default power at -1 therefore the strobe is firing at 1/2 

the dial 1/4 is actually 1/8 of the capacitor so the 10 shots in burst simply means the strobe keeps shooting until the capacitor is depleted this is more a way to shoot right away than else

the interesting part of this strobe is the power it has and to a certain extent the fact it has video lights on it however I cannot see how 5000 lumens are going to be that useful they could have omitted and saved some cost/weight probably minimal

Edited by Interceptor121

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 3:25 PM, Interceptor121 said:

I cannot see how 5000 lumens are going to be that useful they could have omitted and saved some cost/weight probably minimal

The good thing about this flash is that it has video lights. Is 5000 lumens not enough for underwater video? It may be, but less is nothing.

Edited by turandot
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 3:52 AM, bghazzal said:

Side questiom - will this product mean the end of the Backscatter MW4300 videolight, or will both product lines be maintained (which would be great for those of us on the moving-picture fringe who don't need the strobe function)

I don't think the Backscatter MW4300 videolight model will reach its end of life, the most logical thing is that they release an upgrade of the videolight to 5000 or 7000 lumens with the same price and weight as the current model.

Will we have any news in the near future Backscatter?

Edited by turandot
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Alex_Mustard said:

What flash synch cords do these take? Trying to find some that fit.

Alex

They sell a "universal" fiber optic cable as compatible with the strobe, which does come with support for Inon, Nauticam & Sea & Sea Connectors, so it is not clear which one is for this strobe.

Based on the Videos I would guess (!) it is the small Sea&Sea style.  

2 hours ago, Alex_Mustard said:

I am ordering some Universal cables. Fortunately our local dealer is on my workshops - so he can bring them to Egypt (excellent customer service)!

Looking forward to see some real images taken by a master with these strobes, @Alex_Mustard -- and of course, your thorough review if you end up making one. Your contributions to the community carry a lot of weight and I'm sure have helped countless photographers in improving their gear (and more importantly skills :D)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, hedonist222 said:

Does CRI matter for the strobe output? 

CRI, Color Rendering Index is an industry standard 0-100 scale with 100 being the top rating.

It has nothing to do with the strobe output. The flash tubes are separate from the video lights.

Some of the small yellow circles are the video lights.

bs-hf-1_02.jpg

Edited by Phil Rudin

3 hours ago, Phil Rudin said:

CRI, Color Rendering Index is an industry standard 0-100 scale with 100 being the top rating.

It has nothing to do with the strobe output. The flash tubes are separate from the video lights.

Some of the small yellow circles are the video lights.

bs-hf-1_02.jpg

Hi Phil, 

I'd asked if CRI applies to strobes as well. 

Are all strobes equal from a CRI perspective? 

3 hours ago, hedonist222 said:

Hi Phil, 

I'd asked if CRI applies to strobes as well. 

Are all strobes equal from a CRI perspective? 

The whole reason for CRI measurements is that the LEDs used in video lights don't produce the same full spectrum of colors found in halogen bulbs or sunlight. So the higher the CRI, the more 'natural' the light appears. LEDs have historically been very bright in some parts of the spectrum, but produced very little in other parts, like the reds.

Strobes with their zenon tubes don't have this issue. All zenon strobes are essentially CRI 100.

That's my understanding at least. Happy to be corrected and learn something new.

Edited by DreiFish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.