WANTED: 3D Plans for Nauticam Canon 8-15 Zoom Gear + TC

Hi all,

Does anyone have proven plans to 3D print a Nauticam C815-Z+1.4 zoom gear?

Note - this is the for the Canon 8-15 AND the 1.4 TC, not the standard 8-15 gear.

Thanks in advance!

chip

Edited by ChipBPhoto

• The title was changed to WANTED: 3D Plans for Nauticam Canon 8-15 Zoom Gear + TC

Assuming the Nauticam gear itself is the same for Nikon and Canon, I could easily make one with some photos and two very precise measurements. I like making these things, and have done about 6 zoom and focus gears to date.

1) Diameter of the zoom ring in millimeters. 

2) Distance in mm from the underside of the housings gear sprocket to the top of the zoom ring. 

3) Confirm the outside diameter of any Canon / Nauticam gear and the tooth count. Let make sure it's the same as Nikon. 

Photos of the lens & tc put together from profile and top down. 

It might take a couple of tries to dial it in, but we could likely minimize this by providing a few variations in thickness of the friction sleeve. 

I am off diving this week, but pm me if you want to try it. 

Edited by Dave_Hicks
  • Like 1

Which 1.4X teleconverter, camera/housing and extension ring size are you using?  I have a design that works well with the Sony 1.4X teleconverter and Canon 8-15 and Metabones adapter.

The Sony 1.4X teleconverter is shorter than Kenko 1.4X teleconverter, it's easy to modify the design for the difference in lengths and to accommodate the particular housing you are using.

Edited by Gudge

10 hours ago, Gudge said:

Which 1.4X teleconverter, camera/housing and extension ring size are you using?  I have a design that works well with the Sony 1.4X teleconverter and Canon 8-15 and Metabones adapter.

The Sony 1.4X teleconverter is shorter than Kenko 1.4X teleconverter, it's easy to modify the design for the difference in lengths and to accommodate the particular housing you are using.

Hey Gudge - thanks for the message.  I have the Kenko 1.4 and either the Metabones or MC-11 for the Nauticam housing.  (I have and use both)

It seems like the usable zoom range to avoid vignetting is about ~11-15.  Not really sure it’s worth it vs. just setting the zoom at ~12 w the TC and zooming with my fins.  Any thoughts? 

15 hours ago, ChipBPhoto said:

It seems like the usable zoom range to avoid vignetting is about ~11-15.  Not really sure it’s worth it vs. just setting the zoom at ~12 w the TC and zooming with my fins.  Any thoughts? 

Looking at my images taken with the 1.4X teleconverter/Canon 8-15 combination, 72% were taken with the focal length at 15mm and 20% with the focal length at at just over 11mm (vignetting with my combination starts at 11.2mm).  My main focus was CFWA on smaller subjects so the lens was used at the maximum focal length of 15mm to achieve the greatest magnification and a look that was as different as possible to that achieved with the 8-15 used without the 1.4X teleconverter.

After getting a Nauticam EMWL, I now use this exclusively for CFWA and have stopped using the 8-15 on teleconverter for CFWA.

If I'm using the 8-15 by itself and need the extra focal length I just switch my A7RIV into DX mode to give me a usable effective focal range of 15-22.5mm without vignetting and a respectable 26MP image size.

Edited by Gudge
  • Like 2

Thanks @Gudge for the info.  This confirms I do not need a zoom gear.  No significant upside.

I use a WACP for 90%+ of my dives, and it’s perfect for what I normally want.  My goal is/was to find a solution with about a 160 FoV, primarily for goliaths and manatee.  Seems pre-setting the zoom I want with the TC attached will do fine.  

Good comment on using the 8-15 at 15 with the TC for a wide CFWA tool.  I’ll look into it.  

An FCP and EMWL 160 are on the wish list.  I just need to find about $15K laying around somewhere. 😂

Thanks again!

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.