Skip to content

Any second-hand value in an old Sea & Sea MDX-D300 setup?

Featured Replies

Hi everyone,

I have an old Sea & Sea MDX-D300 underwater housing for the Nikon D300. It has seen a lot of use and a few of the buttons are no longer working properly.

I also have a replacement O-ring kit that I bought with the intention of giving the housing a full overhaul, but I never got around to doing it.

Along with the housing, I have two Nikon D300 camera bodies. Both are heavily used and show quite a lot of cosmetic wear, but they are still in working condition.

Do you think any of this still has some value on the second-hand market, either as a complete set or separately? Or is it basically too old and worn to be worth selling?

I’d rather not throw it all away if someone could still make use of it.

Thanks!

Marelux

I had similar things (canon 50D and aquatica staff) and i donate them to a young diver that wanna go uw photo.

He jumps up to the sky for that even if it was an old system, of which the images are still around and used even in large prints.

I LOVED the D300. A brilliant camera and did well over 1000 dives with one. Subal housing.

Second hand value, even with a couple of bodies? Honestly, not much. If you got $600 I think you’d have done well.

I like @homodelphinius idea of donating. Make someone’s day. Unless you need the cash of course.

1 hour ago, Grantmac said:

The ports and lenses, depending on what they are, might be worthwhile.

Its sad, but also consider breaking the housing for parts. For example, if a viewfinder is still compatible with more recent housings, that could be worth more than the basic housing body. Strobe connectors are also an expensive spare that may have some value.

1 hour ago, homodelphinius said:

I had similar things (canon 50D and aquatica staff) and i donate them to a young diver that wanna go uw photo.

He jumps up to the sky for that even if it was an old system, of which the images are still around and used even in large prints.

When @Alex_Mustard was a student he started a group called Young Underwater Photographers which, amongst other things, worked with such donations to help beginners.

Edited by John Liddiard

  • Author

Many thanks to everyone for your feedback.

I still use the ports and domes with an Isotta housing with D500.

And as mentioned, I have the viewfinder for sale, and I’ll be putting the electrical cables up for sale shortly.

To be honest, I was thinking of a much lower price—around €200 for the housing and the two D300 bodies, lol, 😅

I’m raising funds for my next piece of underwater gear = GAS 😃

Edited by canislupus

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.