Fibre Optic Cables? Make your own....

TimG

Hi,

I print the connectors on my 3D Printer. They are working fine. Got the STL files from Wetpixel member DaveHicks. He made them available in Thingiverse for free upload. But still missing the right cable

Any idea where do I get the 613 core cable in EU or maybe Germany. Had no luck on my research. May be any other recommendation on alternative cable available in EU.

Br Markus

Very cool printing your own connectors. Respect! Good on Dave sharing that. Could you post a photo so that we can see what they look like? I know Elias (Kraken de Mabini) uses a very inexpensive connector that he gets from Amazon which he semi-glues on to the cable.

I must admit I've not looked for the 613 core cable in Europe. I was living in Sint Maarten when we did the order and was able to get it shipped in bulk to me with minimum hassle. I cut it all to the lengths that folks wanted and then took packages to Europe to mail in the EU and UK. 

It must be obtainable though in Europe or at last some kind of equivalent. Maybe one of IT network-ace members knows? 

6 hours ago, TimG said:

Easy to make and way cheaper than shop-bought. Here's how:

Now this definitely deserves to made be a sticky!

On the cutting bit, I did use scissors like a barbarian then used super fine grinding paper on the ends, to polish these are bit, and that has helped a lot with the light transmission.

Edited by makar0n

3 hours ago, TimG said:

Very cool printing your own connectors. Respect! Good on Dave sharing that. Could you post a photo so that we can see what they look like? I know Elias (Kraken de Mabini) uses a very inexpensive connector that he gets from Amazon which he semi-glues on to the cable.

I must admit I've not looked for the 613 core cable in Europe. I was living in Sint Maarten when we did the order and was able to get it shipped in bulk to me with minimum hassle. I cut it all to the lengths that folks wanted and then took packages to Europe to mail in the EU and UK. 

It must be obtainable though in Europe or at last some kind of equivalent. Maybe one of IT network-ace members knows? 

Last time when this was discussed that US shop was the only source for private consumers sadly. Waaait,...did I just have an idea? WaterPixel branded fiber optic cable? 🤣

And there are great Inon rubber bushes from a well known NL store:

https://www.uwcamerastore.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=inon+ruber+bush

Edited by makar0n
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Muellema said:

Hi,

I print the connectors on my 3D Printer. They are working fine. Got the STL files from Wetpixel member DaveHicks. He made them available in Thingiverse for free upload. But still missing the right cable

Any idea where do I get the 613 core cable in EU or maybe Germany. Had no luck on my research. May be any other recommendation on alternative cable available in EU.

Br Markus

If you cannot really get it re-shipped via US based Pixels, I might have some meters left of 613 and 1300 one (this one works only with strong LED triggers, for example tested Turtle and it was fine but Nauticam was not)...how much are you planning to use ?

Edited by makar0n

1 hour ago, makar0n said:

Waaait,...did I just have an idea? WaterPixel branded fiber optic cable? 🤣

Yeah, that thought struck me too, makar0n......

I've just emailed various fibre suppliers in Europe to see if they have that 613 core, so let's see what happens. 

Another possibility is if a member is heading to the US and can bring a bundle back. It weighs nothing and if it's not on the cable drum, takes up little space. We might be able to do a bulk order again. 

The Inon single L-shape bush you suggest from Onderwaterhuis would work well.

It was Oskar at Retra who told me about the problems of cutting fibre with scissors. One other thing he mentioned that can impact on TTL-quality transmission: offset two-hole bushes.  One central hole in a bush delivers a more reliable signal than a bush with two holes.

• The topic was pinned
59 minutes ago, TimG said:

Yeah, that thought struck me too, makar0n......

I've just emailed various fibre suppliers in Europe to see if they have that 613 core, so let's see what happens. 

Another possibility is if a member is heading to the US and can bring a bundle back. It weighs nothing and if it's not on the cable drum, takes up little space. We might be able to do a bulk order again. 

The Inon single L-shape bush you suggest from Onderwaterhuis would work well.

It was Oskar at Retra who told me about the problems of cutting fibre with scissors. One other thing he mentioned that can impact on TTL-quality transmission: offset two-hole bushes.  One central hole in a bush delivers a more reliable signal than a bush with two holes.

Fingers crossed! This and T-Shirts in green and mugs in other colors as well 😉
Could be definitely a nice way to supplement server/bandwidth costs.

Yeah cutting device would be best...sadly when I asked network folks to use their super duper fibre cutting device they were not too keen on letting me insert multi strand fiber, so scissors it was at the end. Then found 1000 grit sandpaper laying on the shelf so decided to give that a try.
Using single hole bush, so no experience there but it could be, as cable would be on the side of the LED rather than in the center.

Edited by makar0n

7 hours ago, TimG said:

I just posted another article on making the 3d printed connectors.

Article link:

Here is a sample of what they look like:

IMG20230720173523.thumb.jpg.bae093fbaf0b5d91d5ae8cffadcfaf83.jpg

IMG20230711150717.thumb.jpg.eab027ed604b4246410c720b4ab987c7.jpg

Edited by Dave_Hicks
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, makar0n said:

Fingers crossed! This and T-Shirts in green and mugs in other colors as well 😉
Could be definitely a nice way to supplement server/bandwidth costs.

Yeah cutting device would be best...sadly when I asked network folks to use their super duper fibre cutting device they were not too keen on letting me insert multi strand fiber, so scissors it was at the end. Then found 1000 grit sandpaper laying on the shelf so decided to give that a try.
Using single hole bush, so no experience there but it could be, as cable would be on the side of the LED rather than in the center.

Scissors can mangle or distort the cable if they are not fine or sharp enough.

I have had good luck using a utility knife razor, pressing it to the cable, and tapping it with a small hammer to make the cut super fast. Nice and clean!

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 1:36 AM, Muellema said:

Hi,

Br Markus

You can substitute a TosLINK cable. Try to find one with a 2mm (2.2OD) cable and it will work nearly as well. I think the multi-fiber is maybe more durable and bends better, but the light transmition seems to be similar enough to work on most strobes.

There are a bunch on Amazon, so find one like this available in your region. Get long cables, and cut into 1meter or 1.5meter lengths.

Amazon.com: DteeDck Digital Optical Audio Cable 6 feet, Fiber Optic Cable Ultra-Thin Cord, SPDIF Toslink Optical Cable Compatible with TV Sound Bar Home Theater PS4 Xbox Samsung Vizio : Electronics

I happily made these a few years ago zero issues. Ive tried coiled and not coiled. 

I like to route the cable on the arms and I use those plastic stretchy Silicone wrist bands that my kids love on my floats to hold it. Amazon has the, cheap or cheeper if you have kids who you can steal them from 🤣. You can even get your name on them these days. 

One thing I found, maybe it's just me is unless I leave enough slack to fully open the arms it tends to pull. So I coiled just a small part between the housing and where it first attaches to the arm to reduce the cable from being in the way and it expands if I pull my ams wide. I thought about doing a small coils at the first & second arm joint and even at the strobe side but haven't done that yet.. 

To add to Dave Hicks' suggestion, fiberoptic cables and plugs are available from Amazon:

TosLink fiber optic: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LJQPE0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rubber grommets to fit snugly in the Sea & Sea Fiber Optic hole:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XBG5U82/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a single edge razor blade and a wood surface to cut the cable, and roll the cable as I saw the razor back and forth, so far with good results.

Please let us know how it works out.
Good luck and Happy New Year!

The Uxcell plugs (aka grommets or boot protectors) can be secured to the fiberoptic cable with black PVC plumbers cement. Just coat the tip of the cable with cement and push it into the grommet.  Once dry, cut off the tip of the grommet + cable with a single-edge razor so the light shines through.

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a15111000ux0505-Rubber-Strain-Protector/dp/B019DCXAE8/ref=sr_1_22_sspa?crid=1KD4A630TU08P&keywords=cable+boot+grommet&qid=1703702134&sprefix=cable+boot+grommet%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-22-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&psc=1

Since a few years I (and also some friends around me) use 3-4 mm plastic fiberoptic cables.

Like https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832630176580.html

There are less prone to break, and it works w/o any issue (for me with Oly EM-1 mkII and Retra stobes)

I just 3d print adapters, with inner diameter equal the cable outer diameter, and outer diameter same as Sea&Sea connectors.

5 hours ago, FrancoisC said:

Since a few years I (and also some friends around me) use 3-4 mm plastic fiberoptic cables.

Like https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832630176580.html

There are less prone to break, and it works w/o any issue (for me with Oly EM-1 mkII and Retra stobes)

I just 3d print adapters, with inner diameter equal the cable outer diameter, and outer diameter same as Sea&Sea connectors.

I made a number of cables with that material as well, but they don't work well with Sea & Sea strobes. It was fine with Inon however. The 613 multicore fiber is a lot more resilient than they plastic fiber or TosLink, and is the material of choice if you can get it.

On 12/21/2023 at 3:37 PM, makar0n said:

If you cannot really get it re-shipped via US based Pixels, I might have some meters left of 613 and 1300 one (this one works only with strong LED triggers, for example tested Turtle and it was fine but Nauticam was not)...how much are you planning to use ?

Hi,

@ makar0n Thanx for offer on 613 core. Would like to make 4 cables (2 of them are spares), so I think I need arround 4m. Just let me know how much you would like to give away.

@ all Any ideas on ideal lenght of cables if you don`t curl them. Do you use separate lenght for macro /wideangle setup?

Br Markus

1 hour ago, Muellema said:

all Any ideas on ideal lenght of cables if you don`t curl them. Do you use separate lenght for macro /wideangle setup?

I made separate ones for macro and wide-angle.   I just built the gear the way I’d use it then measured with the arms fully extended. Then added a bit for good measure. If they prove to be too long, just cut them after initial trials. 

For those of us who at times may have problems with fiber optic cables and end plugs (adapters) to trigger underwater strobes, please allow me to suggest some practical information and solutions.

Underwater Fiber Optic cables can are single or multi-fiber (strand), coiled or ‘straight’. 

Problem: Breakable Single Fiber Cables of 1 mm diameter, with a thin rubber coating are commonly sold, but they are unreliable as the fiber breaks easily. It is important to watch out for, and not buy them.   

Problem: Coiled cables, single or multi-strand, are a pain as the coil gets in the way, can get snagged and lost while diving. As the coil stretches only a little, it is hardly useful. Coiled cables are best avoided.

Some solutions are: 

Make one's own Toslink Cables with Uxcell Plug Ends

Toslink audio cable and Uxcell plugs are inexpensive, tough, and readily available on the web (1), an excellent DIYchoice.

Toslink cable is 3 mm o.d. with a 1.3 mm single light carrying fiber.  Uxcell end plugs are glued to its end. The cable tip can be tapered with a razor blade, like sharpening a pencil, to fit tightly in the plug, then glued with rubber or ABS plumbers cement, and the tip cut with a razor to give a clean end. 

To keep the cable securely out of the way while diving, TimG suggests one weave it through the holes of the ULCS-style arms, where it is easy to remove, with no strain on either plug end.

Multistrand Cables
Multistrand cables are tougher and carry more light than single fiber cables. They have from 9 up to 613 light conducting fibers per cable, and cost about $7.50 / meter. An example is the 613 core fiber cable, P/N MCQ-1500-22, made by Asahi Kasei in Japan. One advantage of a multistrand cable is it fits in the right angle of a Hotshot-style L-adaptor.

Otherwise, cables with one, or a small number of strands, are also excellent choices to fire uw strobes, cost less and are easier to get.

Cable End Plugs
Most strobes and housings use the 7 mm diameter Sea&Sea type plugs (aka adapters or grommets) sold by Fun-In and DiverVision in Taiwan, and Amazon and uw photo stores elsewhere.

The plugs are made of one piece rubber or plastic, with holes for 1.5 mm cable, or are L-shaped, with two halves joined by screws, and a central L-shaped cable groove.  TimG tells us he uses a cable with Howshot L-adaptors at the housing end, and Inon double bush plugs at the Retra end. In his experience, the 613 and 217 core cables both work perfectly.

I have used the Uxcell strain relief plugs with Toslink cables for over 4 years to fire my Sea&Sea YS-D2J's and Inon Z240 strobes; these cables and plugs are tough, inexpensive, readily available and have worked perfectly for me, with no problems.

Complete Cables With Plugs

UW photo stores such as Backscatter, Reef Photo, B&H, Amazon and others, including eBay, sell complete cables for prices ranging from $18 to $135 and higher. As far as I can tell, if the buyer’s goal is to buy a reliable, low price, multifiber cable, the price has no relation to quality.
But it is important to avoid single fiber, breakable cables, one has to double check that the seller explicitly states the cable is multi-fiber. Buyer beware.

Suggestions
If you are not inclined to configure your own cable, my suggestion is to buy a low price multi-fiber cable complete with end fittings, (and preferably no coil, should such be available).

If you are DIY inclined, I suggest making your own cables with Toslink cable and Uxcell ends from eBay or Amazon (2 - 4).

References

1. Amazon is the supplier I use as they have most everything. Or you can buy from:  

https://i-fiberoptics.com/fiber-detail-asahi.php

2.Fiberfin

https://fiberfin.com/product/1-x-2-2mm-industrial-pof-cable-19-multi-core-ul-vw-1-rated-500-meter-spool/

3. Uxcell 20pcs 27mmx7mmx4mm Micro Strain Relief Cord Boot Protector.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XBG5U82/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. http://www.divervision.com/howshot-fiber-adapter-l-for-seasea-ys-strobes-FAL-SS.html

• Like 2

On 12/29/2023 at 1:56 PM, Muellema said:

@ makar0n Thanx for offer on 613 core. Would like to make 4 cables (2 of them are spares), so I think I need arround 4m. Just let me know how much you would like to give away.

I think I will find enough for 2 cables but unsure about 4.  But let me check, only back in the land of chocolate and taxes recently. I should be around Germland possibly in a week or two though. I will ping you once I have some idea, so we can sort out the shipping. I definitely want avoid using Bpost from here....

6 hours ago, makar0n said:

only back in the land of chocolate and taxes recently

I thought you'd been quiet. We missed you! Hope your Xmas and NY were good

• Like 1

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.