WTB: Housing for Nikon Z8

ridgebackpilot

Friends: I need to acquire a housing for my new Nikon Z8 prior to going back to Raja Ampat in late March. That means I have less than two months to find one! And I need your advice.

• Should I bite the bullet and buy a new Nauticam NA-Z8 housing for $4,832 (ouch!)? This housing is so new there aren't yet any on the used market. But I'd be able to use all my existing Nauticam ports and other hardware.
  • Should I take advantage of this opportunity to switch to a less expensive housing, such as those from Aquatica ($3,349) or Marelux ($3,998)? But then I'd have to buy all new ports, too, wouldn't I?

I have to admit I haven't been able to find a good deal on a new Nauticam housing. If you were buying a housing today, what would you do?

Thanks!

Edited by ridgebackpilot
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Walt Stearns said:

Do you already have any ports for a Nauticam housing? If you do, it's already settled.

Yes, that's what I thought. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a single standard for ports, so we could choose our housings without fear that our existing ports wouldn't work with the new one? Just dreaming here...!

Just bite the bullet on the Nauticam housing. You will sell your old Nauticam housing before long and offset some of the cost. I would put a pause on selling your existing strobes as that is just another money sink for marginal gain. Slowly move toward Z lenses, but there is no rush. Your old lenses and port will work fine with a Nauticam Z8. 

I don't recall if you had a 45deg viewfinder, but the old version of that will work too. You don't need the new $1,700 version. Just set the Z8 EVF to use the (slightly 10-20%) smaller setting instead of standard. Works great for me. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Dave_Hicks said:

I don't recall if you had a 45deg viewfinder, but the old version of that will work too. You don't need the new $1,700 version. Just set the Z8 EVF to use the (slightly 10-20%) smaller setting instead of standard. Works great for me. 

Good advice, Dave, thanks.

I do have the older 45 degree viewfinder, and I'd heard that I can adjust the EVF to match. Do you recall where on the complex Z8 menus that adjustment is to be found?

52 minutes ago, ridgebackpilot said:

Good advice, Dave, thanks.

I do have the older 45 degree viewfinder, and I'd heard that I can adjust the EVF to match. Do you recall where on the complex Z8 menus that adjustment is to be found?

On page 718 of the manual. 😉

• Haha 2

Yep, sounds like you already have the path laid out.  Biting the $5K bullet now certainly hurts, but you won’t need to hassle with trying to sell the ports/extensions to build a new rig.  Besides, your new NA-Z8 will “feel” very familiar to what you have now.  When you’re back from Raja you’ll be happy with your results and the price will be a past memory, as long as you don’t pull up the past credit card bill. 😁

Click the “buy” button and have an amazing trip! 

Edited by ChipBPhoto
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

My favorite housing is Isotta (red housings). Pretty, sturdy, very reliable and not as expensive as the Nauticam collection. They recently released the housing for Z8. It sells for $3,690 in US.

Edited by Silvana
  • Like 2

I bite the bullet and got the nauticam R3 housing (upgrade from nauticam old 1dx housing), currently have WACP with it. IMO nauticam has the best optics and yes their premium is worth it if you are in their eco system.  Other housing can take pictures just as great as nauticams,  but I love their water contact optics so more reason to stay with them.  

Edited by EFLT
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Silvana said:

My favorite housing is Isotta (red housings). Pretty, sturdy, very reliable and not as expensive as the Nauticam collection. They recently released the housing for Z8. It sells for $3,690 in US.

I'd seriously consider Isotta, Sunbal, Aquatica, and Marelux housings if I didn't already own so much Nauticam gear! Nauticam wisely made their new NA-Z8 housing compatible with older ports and other accessories, which makes it impractical to switch at this stage...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, EFLT said:

I bite the bullet and got the nauticam R3 housing (upgrade from nauticam old 1dx housing), currently have WACP with it. IMO nauticam has the best optics and yes their premium is worth it if you are in their eco system.  Other housing can take pictures just as great as nauticams,  but I love their water contact optics so more reason to stay with them.  

Completely agree!  The biggest reason I went to Sony over my Canon R5 was for the water contact option and there were none affordable for Canon at the time.  Went WWL-1B with the Sony 28-60 and loved it!  Total game changer over large domes.  My Sony body has changed over the years and I’m now on a WACP-C to keep the rig smaller.  It’s a premium, but worth it in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipBPhoto said:

Completely agree!  The biggest reason I went to Sony over my Canon R5 was for the water contact option and there were none affordable for Canon at the time.  Went WWL-1B with the Sony 28-60 and loved it!  Total game changer over large domes.  My Sony body has changed over the years and I’m now on a WACP-C to keep the rig smaller.  It’s a premium, but worth it in my opinion. 

The WACP-C may be my next purchase, unless I can find a way to spring for the new, versatile FCP...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ridgebackpilot said:

The WACP-C may be my next purchase, unless I can find a way to spring for the new, versatile FCP...

I've read WACP-C's optical performance is like 1-2 stop less than WACP-1, I think WACP-C is more focused for weight saving and travel, some research on WACP-C's optical performance is more like and on par with WWL level.  for me WACP-2 (too big) best optical performance, then WACP-1. Alex mustard mention FCP optical quality is less than WACP-1 but on par with WACP-C in his latest video. 

start at 10:54.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ridgebackpilot said:

I must say I do like mine.  The WACP-C is considered 1 stop of sharpness below the WACP-1 and 1 stop sharper than the WWL-1.  In the “real world”, and after owning both, I can’t tell a huge difference in IQ for the WACP-C over the WWL-1, but I like the overall feel.  Not needing to “burp” the lens like the WWL is also a win in my opinion.

With that said, I am curious as to the over all, real image zoom range overlap between the FCP and WACP-C.  I’m not thrilled about the weight, but you may want to hang on a couple weeks to see results once more FCPs are used in the wild.  You may also be able to pick up a nice previously loved WACP-C from someone going FCP. 😉 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EFLT said:

Alex mustard mention FCP optical quality is less than WACP-1 but on par with WACP-C in his latest video. 

I'd stand by this statement, but caveat it by saying that while I shot a lot of pictures with the FCP in Raja Ampat, I didn't do detailed testing on image quality. The diving was too exciting!

Alex

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ChipBPhoto said:

You may also be able to pick up a nice previously loved WACP-C from someone going FCP. 😉 

Hehehe! That's certainly my diabolical hope, unless of course I win the lottery and can suddenly afford the FCP!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Alex_Mustard said:

The diving was too exciting!

@Alex_Mustard I hope to find you at the Misool resort in late March. We'll be aboard the Emperor Harmoni and expect to call at the resort sometime during the last three days of the month. Can't wait!

Edited by ridgebackpilot

On 2/7/2024 at 1:21 AM, Alex_Mustard said:

The prototype FCP is actually already there in my dive bag! 

@Alex_Mustard If I get to Misool before you arrive, maybe I can shave my head, impersonate you, and walk off with the prototype to use while I'm there! 😇🤣

Edited by ridgebackpilot

On 2/4/2024 at 11:41 PM, ridgebackpilot said:

I'd seriously consider Isotta, Sunbal, Aquatica, and Marelux housings if I didn't already own so much Nauticam gear! Nauticam wisely made their new NA-Z8 housing compatible with older ports and other accessories, which makes it impractical to switch at this stage...

You can use many Nauticam ports on Isotta, you just need to change out the lug ring that is bolted to the back of the port, to a Sea and Sea lug ring then they will fit Isotta housings for N120 ports.  You would need to buy new zoom gears though.  As I understand it they are a direct swap at least for DSLR lenses.  You could ask Isotta if any changes are required to extension going from Nikon F to Nikon Z.  

Before diving in check that your ports have a removable lug ring and then add up the prices for new lug rings and zoom gears and any new extension rings if you need them  (they are cheaper than Nauticam equivalent).  You can then work out if you are actually making a saving.  Also note Nauticam ports are push in and operate lock lever.  Isotta ports are push in and turn.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris Ross said:

You can use many Nauticam ports on Isotta, you just need to change out the lug ring that is bolted to the back of the port, to a Sea and Sea lug ring then they will fit Isotta housings for N120 ports.  You would need to buy new zoom gears though.  As I understand it they are a direct swap at least for DSLR lenses.  You could ask Isotta if any changes are required to extension going from Nikon F to Nikon Z.  

Before diving in check that your ports have a removable lug ring and then add up the prices for new lug rings and zoom gears and any new extension rings if you need them  (they are cheaper than Nauticam equivalent).  You can then work out if you are actually making a saving.  Also note Nauticam ports are push in and operate lock lever.  Isotta ports are push in and turn.

This is the lug ring you would need:

Howshot Bayonet Port Ring for Sea&Sea DX/NX Ports – DiverVision Underwater Photo Equipment

• Thanks 1

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.