Skip to content

Member Introductions / Archived topic

Member Introductions

Started by james ·

  • 3711Posts
  • 3711Replies

Read-only discussion

Member Introductions

3711 posts
  1. Hiya,

    Just joined wetpixel a few days ago. Really enjoying the articles, this is just what I need.

     

    I'm based just outside Plymouth in Devon, UK which is the most wonderful place on Earth to live, truly magical.

     

    I've been a diver for about 8 years now:

    PADI Open Water and Advanced Open Water qualified with a couple of specialities under my belt too:

    Dry Suit Diver

    Deep Diver

    Wreck Diver

     

    I'm looking to take my Rescue Diver around Easter next year and then a couple more Specialities during the rest of 2013:

    Underwater Photography (of course)

    Enriched Air EAN

    Shark Awareness

     

    and then go for my Master SCUBA Diver qualification.

     

    I've been a photographer for about 40 years now but never really gotten any further than interested amateur. I currently own a Nikon D60 with a couple of Tamron lenses and a Nissin flash and a Gopro Hero 2 with a SCUBA housing and an LCD back pack. I use Lightroom 4, Photoshop CS4 and Premiere Pro CS4. I guess I know how to use the gear, wpretty much, here I'm weak is I don't know how to be creative with it. I occassionally take a photo worth spending some time developing but I don't think I know what to do to get the best out of them.

     

    I made the decision to take my photography much more seriously about 4 weeks ago and am in the process of enrolling in a college course to learn how to be more creative. I've also decided to buy myself a DSLR SCUBA rig and am pondering just what to get at this stage.

     

    At this stage I'm really just looking for advice about equipment and techniques for capturing images.

     

    Anyway, hadn't intended this to turn into just such an essay, sorry. lol

  2. Greetings from Japan! Just getting started here -- a newcomer to underwater photography but out to start buying gear soon!

  3. Hi everyone,

    I started diving in 2004 and have nearly 900 dives completed. I knew early in my diving that I would like to take photos underwater but told myself I would not until I had 100 dives. I was witnessing many new divers with cameras bashing the reefs. I thought they looked out of control. The underwater photographers that were in control were amazing with a lot of diving experience. I started out with a Fuji F810 in an Ikelite housing and now shoot video. I started out shooting video with a Sony HC9 in a Gates housing and now shoot with a Sony XR550v in a Gates housing. I shoot in the Great Lakes and abroad. I mostly shoot wide angle with ambient light and have had very good luck and a great teacher in Tim Blanton. He has a shop on Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras at a resort called CoCo View. I manually white balance a lot underwater using mostly the sand or light patches of reef of scuba tanks always with the proper filter for the kind of water I am shooting through. Looking forward to hanging out here on Wetpixel. My husband, Aqua Paul has been a regular here for a couple years now.

    Keep blowing bubbles,

    SeaDebbie

  4. Hello, I am a motion picture camera operator interested in adding underwater to my skill set. I am recently SCUBA certified and am in the process of getting my first housing for practice and to build a reel. I have quite a few questions I hope to get a chance to ask later.

  5. Hello!

     

    My name is Jason, and I am from Florida's Space Coast. I have been in documentary video production for years, and recently I've taken on a project that has sent me underwater! I am currently in grad school, and for my final project I am working to create a scuba diver's travel guide to Key Largo. I am currently producing a bunch of short form documentaries profiling dive locations in the Key Largo area. These documentaries will go on a database driven website that will serve as a visually intense travel guide for scuba divers! If all goes good I would also like to create a mobile app version of the site. Anyways, enough blabber about that. If you would like to know more about the project and how it is going, check out my blog!

     

    My primary underwater rig is a Canon T2i with an Ikelite housing. I am using a Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, and I would eventually like to get into some macro down the line. I hope to be all finished with my Key Largo travel guide near the end of 2013. And if all goes well, I would like to expand my travel guide to cover all of the Florida Keys!

     

    I joined WetPixel because I am entirely new to the underwater videography game, and would like to soak up the knowledge from the experts, both photographers and videographers! Nice to meet you all.

     

    - Jason Boone

  6. Hello, my name is Deco Rico and I am an alcoholic.

     

    No, wait, I'm a diver... I always get those two mixed up.

  7. Hello al I'm a 29 year old paramedic from the Bay Area. Got into underwater photography last year on a trip to Mexico. Been lurking on the forms and finally decided to register.

     

  8. Hi I'm Neha, and I love to dive. Photography is my hobby

  9. aloha from hawaii. I'm a freediver looking to learn a few video tips!

  10. Hey everyone just introducing myself. Long time photographer but only been shooting underwater for about a year. I currently use a Canon 5D II in an Outex bag but looking to step up to a "real" surf housing. I am interested in shooting portraits in pools mostly but I do love to float around the tiny Gulf coast surf and try to make it look bigger than it is ;-)

     

    Here is one of my favorites from this summer.

     

    Depth-Charge.jpg

  11. Very cool...

  12. Hello everyone my name is Chris. I've been diving since 2006 and just bought my first dedicated underwater camera. I'm starting with a GoPro Hero 3 Silver edition. I'm doing my Master's thesis on trophic transfer of Mercury which makes me a regular diver down in Long Key, FL. I'm curious about red filters and would appreciate any feedback you guys might have.

     

    Thanks!

  13. Thought I best introduce myself before I start asking questions and replying to posts...

     

    I'm Simon, 33 years old, live in SE London, UK and I have been a diver for 7 years and an instructor for 3. I have been an underwater photographer for around 5-6 years. I mainly shoot macro as I love the small stuff.

     

    I will be in the next few weeks be upgrading my compact setup to an RX100, Nauticam housing, 2 x YS-D1s and then the UWL-04 and either Dyron, Subsee or FIT diopters.

     

     

     

    I also own a HD Hero 2 and a Nikon D7000, 105VR, Tokina 10-17, without housing or ports - this will maybe happen early next year depending on how I get on with the RX100 and whether I feel it neccassary while on holiday etc.

     

    Thanks

    Edited by swgdesign
  14. Hi,

     

    My name is Gary I've been lurking on Wetpixel for awhile now, my interests are in diving & underwater photography.

     

    Most of my diving is done around the coast of S/W Ireland plus some in warmer waters while on holiday, I started uw photography with a Fuji f30 then progressed to a Sea & Sea DX-2G, recently this has been passed on to my wife and I've upgraded to an Olympus OM-D E-M5 & Nauticam housing.

     

    The information I have gleened from Wetpixel has been very helpful and I look forward to learning a lot more in the future.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Gary.

  15. hello guys and girls

    i am interested in video

    , come from freezing yorkshire UK

    been diving 16 years and still loving it

    jonathan

  16. Hi I am Joe, a marine biologist from the UK. I've been using a Canon G7 in a Ikelite housing for a few years now and really enjoy underwater photography. I've recently taken the plunge and gone mirrorless, so I'll be trading in the old faithful G7 soon and getting myself a nauticam setup for my new Panasonic GX1. I can't wait!

  17. Hi All,

     

    I thought I was already registered on Wetpixel but it didn't recognise my e-mail address so perhaps this is my first time here.

     

    I am diving just over 25 years and have been actively taking photographs for about 10 years. My first underwater camera was an Agfa 2008 which took 110 cartridge film in a Guppy housing and I used snorkelling about 35 years ago.

     

    I currently have a Nikon D70 in a Sea & Sea housing.

     

    The Diveshop handle comes from some of the guys in my club who differ from my approach to redundant systems when diving, until they break something and come running (or finning) to me for help.

  18. Hi!

     

    Thought I'd start spending some time here. But I seem to be having a problem registering... The configrmation e-mail links send me to the forum page but do not seem to have any effect. I can't start a thread or edit my profile from the forum. (I can from the main page.) The instructions say contact an administrator, but there is not an easily located link for that.

     

    ADDED: It seems leaving a introduction worked wonders. Perhaps that should be in the confirmation e-mail.

     

    I'm using a D90 in an Aquatica housing with a pair of Ikelite DS-161's. Our next trip will be to Little Cayman in May, our first time there. I started shooting underwater in 2002 with a Reefmaster and quickly switched to F3 which I used until going digital in 2009 .

    Edited by cneal
  19. Hey! I'm Nika from Florida, looking to learn more about underwater portraiture : )

  20. Hello, I've been following this forum offline but I've finally decided to participate

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.