Sony a1 Firmware 2.01 (ILCE-1) Apr 23, 2024

I've downloaded, but not installing it as I've going to Lembeh tomorrow and definitely don't want to loose all my custom settings. 

I plan to update post trip - but have the update downloaded in case I feel like updating in the field. 

I have two A1. One I set up based on the old so I have a camset to load on the second

I think I will do the one on 1.35 to 2.01 and restore camset and then look at the 2.00 to 2.01

The update takes a really long time to perform

DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR A1 OR A7SIII FIRMWARE TO v2.01 or v3.00

Like a fool, I upgraded my A1, A7SIII and A7IV yesterday.

On the A1 (v2.01)

• Bluetooth and Wifi, which were working prior to the upgrade are no longer functioning. The camera will not connect to the Creator app or work with the old Imaging Edge app.
  • Like many others, I'm now getting this message when I try to start Smartphone Connect:

On the A7SIII (v3.00)

• In video mode, the text for shutter speed and aperture is now about 1/2 half of the former size. It will be very difficult to see underwater at a glance. I wear +1.5 to +2 reading glasses and have diopters in my mask. However, with the old firmware, I could easily read shutter speed and aperture without correction. Now, it's just a blur. And there does not seem to be any way to make the text larger.
  • There are reports that, when capturing in ProRes RAW to the Ninja V monitor in S-log3, duel base iso that was formerly 640 and 12800 is now 80 and 1600. I'm still not clear about this, so I'd love to hear from anyone who can shed more light.

IMG_4380.jpeg

• Like 1

I dont have any issues of this nature with my two A1

A firmware update can’t destroy the transmitter on the camera

some people had already a fault but because the connection with the app

was not mandatory they didn’t know until now

With respect to the display there are many new icons now and it is tiny indeed

i use the evf with dioptric correction I guess with the LCD only may be a pain if you have eyesight issues

I'd guess that a firmware update can't "destroy" a transmitter. I bet though it can most certainly stuff it up to make it unusable until the fault is corrected through a further firmware update..... 

Really annoying for Jim and others. ARGGGH. Good though that you got away with it, Massimo!

[Last week I lost completely the mobile signal on my iPhone as a result of a firmware update by the carrier. 4 days of ripping my hair out and cursing all and sundry: Apple, O2..... It needed a new eSIM to fix it] 

4 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

I dont have any issues of this nature with my two A1

A firmware update can’t destroy the transmitter on the camera

some people had already a fault but because the connection with the app

was not mandatory they didn’t know until now

i use the evf with dioptric correction I guess with the LCD only may be a pain if you have eyesight issues

A firmware update is not going to destroy the transmitter, (which implies some sort of damage)  I don't believe anyone said that.  However people are reporting that they can no longer connect through the transmitter which means the capability is gone.  The immediate impact is the same either way but presumably fixable in firmware or some sort of workaround Sony forgot to tell us about. 😬

It seems prudent for now to watch and wait for it to be fixed in an update.  It's all too common these days for any type of tech to use early adopting customers as their Beta testers.  If you can't connect seems like it's better to wait till the issue is properly sorted.

39 minutes ago, Chris Ross said:

A firmware update is not going to destroy the transmitter, (which implies some sort of damage)  I don't believe anyone said that.  However people are reporting that they can no longer connect through the transmitter which means the capability is gone.  The immediate impact is the same either way but presumably fixable in firmware or some sort of workaround Sony forgot to tell us about. 😬

It seems prudent for now to watch and wait for it to be fixed in an update.  It's all too common these days for any type of tech to use early adopting customers as their Beta testers.  If you can't connect seems like it's better to wait till the issue is properly sorted.

Sony has put a note on this saying that if you get tis message you have indeed a hardware failure that was not previously detected

They are not indicating at this time that this problem is driven by the firmware

However as the update requires connectivity you find this issue at the outset

1 hour ago, Interceptor121 said:

Sony has put a note on this saying that if you get tis message you have indeed a hardware failure that was not previously detected

Yikes! Some seriously unhappy customers.....

32 minutes ago, TimG said:

Yikes! Some seriously unhappy customers.....

it is indeed a serious issue. If your wireless work you have many new features

The new creative app is better than imagind edge and you can also use the camera remote that makes your phone work as a proper video monitor

Many users had not even bothered connecting to imaging edge but now as soon as you get the update you get the message connect to creative app

And if you select manual set up in 2.00 went in an endless loop if your board has failed

However many people already had dected a board failure and had it replace and some had it failing but did not replace so now the issue comes up

I just got off the phone with Sony support. The agent was not aware of v2.00 & 2.01 firmware problems. After a few minutes on hold to "research", he came back and said that Sony's policy on this issue with the A1 is that if the camera is reporting a Bluetooth/WiFi unit malfunction, then it is a hardware problem and the camera needs to be sent back for repair, the cost of which is the responsibility of the customer. I explained that wireless connectivity on my camera was working perfectly before the firmware update, but apparently that doesn't matter. Sony breaks your camera with firmware, then expects you to pay for it. He advised there is no firmware in the works.

• Sad 2

An EVF with diopter is fine for stills, or video with static subjects. But in the big blue, with fast-moving action, and swimming hard while filming big animals, it's completely unworkable. You need the LCD at least, and preferably a monitor.

15 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

Edited by Jim Laurel

9 hours ago, Jim Laurel said:

I just got off the phone with Sony support. The agent was not aware of v2.00 & 2.01 firmware problems. After a few minutes on hold to "research", he came back and said that Sony's policy on this issue with the A1 is that if the camera is reporting a Bluetooth/WiFi unit malfunction, then it is a hardware problem and the camera needs to be sent back for repair, the cost of which is the responsibility of the customer. I explained that wireless connectivity on my camera was working perfectly before the firmware update, but apparently that doesn't matter. Sony breaks your camera with firmware, then expects you to pay for it. He advised there is no firmware in the works.

What does work perfectly means?

did you have your camera connected with imaging edge doing remote shooting and using a bluetooth remote or transferring files through ftp?

It means the camera was working properly, as advertised when new. Imaging Edge working properly, including remote shooting and transferring files.

i never did use ftp to transfer files, but it’s worth noting that even now, my camera will connect to local WiFI access points (and stay connected) without a problem. It gives the error when connecting to imaging edge or attempting to use the monitoring app. And really, those are the only things that matter in terms of connectivity.

14 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

What does work perfectly means?

did you have your camera connected with imaging edge doing remote shooting and using a bluetooth remote or transferring files through ftp?

But the way, it’s not just the A1 any more…

IMG_2129.jpeg

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I have just received a response from Sony Customer Relations as follows. Bottom line, they don't seem to be planing to do anything about it. So suck it up, plebs.

"Thank you for contacting Sony Electronics Inc. Your file has been forwarded to our department. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Please be advised that Sony provides a standard 1 year warranty for initial failures to be covered through repair or replacement by the manufacturer. Once the warranty expires, it will be the customer's responsibility to cover any repair or replacement cost on the unit. Due to the fact that the unit is beyond the manufacturer's warranty, we regret to inform you that we are unable to assist with the repair. Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

Mark
Sony National Customer Relations"

On 4/30/2024 at 3:50 AM, Interceptor121 said:

They are not indicating at this time that this problem is driven by the firmware

However as the update requires connectivity you find this issue at the outset

Edited by Jim Laurel
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jim Laurel said:

Bottom line, they don't seem to be planing to do anything about it. So suck it up, plebs.

Reminds me of Sony in the 90s.  Really sorry to hear Jim.  Sucks on many levels.

Posted (edited)

Begs the question of what to do next.

Sell off your old A1 for say $2-$3k, with the honest disclosure about it's limitations with the new firmware, then buy a new one with warranty? Used ones go for $4000-$4500, so If you figure that the repair is around $1500, then the most you could expect people to pay for one is about $2500.

Or...Have a huge gear sale here on Waterpixels of ALL your Sony gear...lenses, housings, ports, bodies...and switch to Canon...or maybe RED?

Bend over and pay Sony Service to replace your old main board with one that's actually in-spec?

Or...give it a few weeks and see what happens? Maybe Sony will do the right thing after all.

4 hours ago, ChipBPhoto said:

Reminds me of Sony in the 90s.  Really sorry to hear Jim.  Sucks on many levels.

Edited by Jim Laurel
  • Sad 1

I am really very, very sorry.

I read so many comments on the net of people with the same problem but it is hard to say what percentage are affected by the problem.

Of course it is strange that an update would put so many pre-existing HW failures and all at the connectivity module.

Sony is no stranger to such behavior and generally these giants only move if users unite in some way or fear reputation damage.

I too have had similar problems in the past with Panasonic Italy.

As expensive as they are and as professional as they are, these cameras are aimed at the consumer market and this is the way they do things. I would not expect different behavior from other companies.

Thanks, Davide. What you say in your last sentence is something I've been thinking as well.

My only interest underwater is video. So I'm starting to see this as a wake up call that maybe it's time to put away the consumer toys and get some serious tools. The Komodo might just travel in the same space as the Sony setup. I'm reading up and talking to some friends who shoot RED underwater to get a clearer picture of reliability, how they treat customers, etc. The Canon C500 could be another interesting option. I kept all the old EF lenses from my Canon days, so that would help with either system.

1 minute ago, Davide DB said:

I am really very, very sorry.

I read so many comments on the net of people with the same problem but it is hard to say what percentage are affected by the problem.

Of course it is strange that an update would put so many pre-existing HW failures and all at the connectivity module.

Sony is no stranger to such behavior and generally these giants only move if users unite in some way or fear reputation damage.

I too have had similar problems in the past with Panasonic Italy.

As expensive as they are and as professional as they are, these cameras are aimed at the consumer market and this is the way they do things. I would not expect different behavior from other companies.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Imaging edge on the phone is no longer supported you need to use creator app

and third party applications probably need updating 

it happens the same with atomos 

so if your camera does connect to WiFi and Bluetooth and supported sony app but doesn’t connect to 3rd party apps there is no actual issue

besides now sony has their own monitoring app

Edited by Interceptor121

7 hours ago, ChipBPhoto said:

Yeah, disgraceful if it is indeed a Sony firmware update that has damaged the system - and they take no responsibility for it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TimG said:

Yeah, disgraceful if it is indeed a Sony firmware update that has damaged the system - and they take no responsibility for it.

It has not damaged any system this is a big statetement to make

My two cameras worked as they did before

On Sony A1 facegroup groups the % of people with issues is 5% and relate to third party applications which probably need to be rewritten as they are based on SDK. Sony released a brand new SDK recently

The motherboard issue has been known with several people having problems and not realising until the cameras were out of warranty

In addition in Europe sony offers 2 years warranty even in UK on any new camera through an extension

Nikon and Canon by the way screwed their respective user base too and not long time ago with firmware updates

Now I am not saying that Sony is amazing I think Panasonic on softwre is much better but all the rest are way below that bar

I find it a bit weird that a moderator comes with such strong statement based on 1 user complaining 

4 hours ago, Jim Laurel said:

My only interest underwater is video. So I'm starting to see this as a wake up call that maybe it's time to put away the consumer toys and get some serious tools.

I have a couple of buddies that work as high-end uw videographers.  One uses RED and the other uses a Canon R5C.  If you opt for another solution, aside from the extremely unfortunate situation that caused this, there are some terrific video-centric options.  I truly hope you are able to make a good solution out of it all.  

2 hours ago, ChipBPhoto said:

I have a couple of buddies that work as high-end uw videographers.  One uses RED and the other uses a Canon R5C.  If you opt for another solution, aside from the extremely unfortunate situation that caused this, there are some terrific video-centric options.  I truly hope you are able to make a good solution out of it all.  

If you look at BBC productions they use Sony A1 and A7S3 for all their documentaries in camera traps

For long lens work in hide they use Red

Nobody uses canon in those productions

Which means there is no issue with Sony if it can work for the BBC it can work for anyone

Posted (edited)

I’m no stranger to this kind of thing. At Nokia, we shipped millions of devices with WiFi and Bluetooth every week, and we’ve seen it all. After Twango was acquired by Nokia, we began using the S60 hardware in new ways that were never originally intended, and we discovered all sorts of things, including hardware design issues that precluded using the hardware in certain ways. None of what is happening now should come as a surprise and Sony isn’t really to blame. They are, however, responsible, and what they do to make it right is what matters.

It is correct to say that this new firmware has not damaged cameras. The likely case here is not that we’re seeing firmware reporting hardware that has failed, but that the new firmware is reporting errors from hardware that was always out of spec and that is not responding to firmware control as expected, or is responding in unexpected ways.

It is highly unlikely that the hardware in affected cameras suddenly fails after a firmware update. It is also highly unlikely that the firmware has done physical damage to the affected cameras. What is likely, however, is that the new firmware is using the wireless module in ways that prior versions never did before. And now, the firmware on units with out of spec wireless modules is correctly reporting an error. The affected units were always out of spec. And that fact is only now being uncovered. Prior to 2.01, customers with out of spec wireless modules had no way of knowing their example was defective from new. It suggests that the way in which 2.01 is using the wireless module was never part of the original test harness to which the A1 boards were subjected before assembly.

Logically, this is the most probable explanation.

The poll on the Sony A1 Facebook group currently shows that about 11% of respondents are reporting major problems. And if you take the time to read the numerous comments on that and several other forums, you’ll see that inoperability of the WiFi/Bluetooth unit is being widely reported. You might notice that Sony pulled the prior version (2.00) for this very same issue. No doubt that after they pulled it, they realized it wasn’t actually a firmware problem,  it a hardware problem. It may take them a bit longer to realize that they’re dealing with out of spec hardware rather than hardware that has spontaneously failed after a firmware update.

I see very few comments online related to third party applications. Indeed, most are related to the camera reporting a failure of the WiFi/BT module when trying to connect to the Creators app.

its not just one person, Interceptor. If you have a more plausible explanation, please enlighten us.

I’m glad that yours are both working as before.

11 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

It has not damaged any system this is a big statetement to make

My two cameras worked as they did before

On Sony A1 facegroup groups the % of people with issues is 5% and relate to third party applications which probably need to be rewritten as they are based on SDK. Sony released a brand new SDK recently

The motherboard issue has been known with several people having problems and not realising until the cameras were out of warranty

In addition in Europe sony offers 2 years warranty even in UK on any new camera through an extension

Nikon and Canon by the way screwed their respective user base too and not long time ago with firmware updates

Now I am not saying that Sony is amazing I think Panasonic on softwre is much better but all the rest are way below that bar

I find it a bit weird that a moderator comes with such strong statement based on 1 user complaining 

But the way, it’s not just the A1 any more…

Edited by Jim Laurel
  • Like 1

• Thanks For Your Support

backscatter_block.gif Fotosubshop_Logo_Longnew.png
    isotta_logo.png INONlogo_Waterpixel.jpg
    marelux.gif nauticam_WPX.jpg
    RPV Banner.png Retra2.png
    SeaandSeaLogo.png turtlelogo.png
    image001.png image.png

image.png
    XRAY Magazine

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.