Sony a1 Firmware 2.01 (ILCE-1) Apr 23, 2024

Thanks, Chip. It’s caused me to have a good look at the Canon R5C. I’d dismissed the previous version because of overheating, but the R5C looks quite good. 4K120P and 8K60P with internal RAW is a big step up from the A1. R5C is certainly as good or better in terms of white balance at depth and focus speed. But lack of IBIS will be missed. However, the housing is quite large compared to the A1, so that will help with stability.

7 hours ago, ChipBPhoto said:

I have a couple of buddies that work as high-end uw videographers.  One uses RED and the other uses a Canon R5C.  If you opt for another solution, aside from the extremely unfortunate situation that caused this, there are some terrific video-centric options.  I truly hope you are able to make a good solution out of it all.  

• Like 1

The survey on the group I follow said 5%
more interesting the a7s3 was not pulled back despite the issues 

from my side my two cameras with very distant serial numbers both works so I can say I have a better basis than someone with 1 unit

1 hour ago, Jim Laurel said:

Thanks, Chip. It’s caused me to have a good look at the Canon R5C. I’d dismissed the previous version because of overheating, but the R5C looks quite good. 4K120P and 8K60P with internal RAW is a big step up from the A1. R5C is certainly as good or better in terms of white balance at depth and focus speed. But lack of IBIS will be missed. However, the housing is quite large compared to the A1, so that will help with stability.

According to Canon rumors a R5II is expected this month. 

Why don't you open a new thread on this? 😉

• Like 1

Good idea! I'm sure it will be of interest to our whole community here.

9 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

According to Canon rumors a R5II is expected this month. 

Why don't you open a new thread on this? 😉

• Thanks 1

Quick follow with the latest from Sony Customer Relations. I replied to their previous email, emphasizing that my wireless module was working with Imaging Edge before the update. Here is their response. Essentially, "You can't prove that your wireless was working before the update, so bugger off."
-------------------
"Thank you for contacting Sony. We regret to inform you that no one can verify if the software update caused the issue of your unit and this is considered as a normal out of warranty repair. You may contact Precision Camera Repair 860-272-2100 to get a repair estimate. Thank you.

Regards,

Mark
Sony National Customer Relations"

3 hours ago, Jim Laurel said:

Quick follow with the latest from Sony Customer Relations. I replied to their previous email, emphasizing that my wireless module was working with Imaging Edge before the update. Here is their response. Essentially, "You can't prove that your wireless was working before the update, so bugger off."
-------------------
"Thank you for contacting Sony. We regret to inform you that no one can verify if the software update caused the issue of your unit and this is considered as a normal out of warranty repair. You may contact Precision Camera Repair 860-272-2100 to get a repair estimate. Thank you.

Regards,

Mark

Nice. Pity he didn't add "have a nice day".

8 hours ago, Jim Laurel said:

-------------------

Regards,

Mark

In the South we would say, "Well bless their heart."  

So glad to hear customer service is alive and well.  Wouldn't it be ironic if you did send it in and the hardware, as a stand alone, checked out to be functioning?  (not sure they'd admit to it if it did)  If they get enough blow back perhaps we will see an updated firmware that will again restore the lost connections.  Happens fairly frequently with cell phone updates.  We can hope.

The latest word on v2.01 from Sony Pro Support UK:
"Encountering a WiFi issue with a new mainboard would be unfortunate, but it's not possible to guarantee that this will not occur.

The new firmware introduces a detection mechanism for the Wi-Fi chipset. Should a user encounter a chipset failure on a version prior to this mechanism's implementation, the camera may fail to boot, become inoperable, display a System Error, or enter a boot loop.

Since your camera is functioning properly and you've indicated that the features available with firmware 2.01 do not interest you, we still recommend against updating your camera's software."

• Sad 2

IIUC Sony UK and USA give different replies? What a mess!

If enough users are affected by the problem, one must hope that they can coordinate with each other through some kind of class action or legal action.

9 hours ago, Jim Laurel said:

The latest word on v2.01 from Sony Pro Support UK:
"Encountering a WiFi issue with a new mainboard would be unfortunate, but it's not possible to guarantee that this will not occur.

The new firmware introduces a detection mechanism for the Wi-Fi chipset. Should a user encounter a chipset failure on a version prior to this mechanism's implementation, the camera may fail to boot, become inoperable, display a System Error, or enter a boot loop.

Since your camera is functioning properly and you've indicated that the features available with firmware 2.01 do not interest you, we still recommend against updating your camera's software."

so the chipset is failing and not because of the new firmware 

the boot loop is as happening with 2.0 because the camera required to connect to creators app and if you selected connect manually was stalling 

in essence the new sony tools require this chipset to work and you are dead in water if your chipset fails 

i dont have this issue and i vastly prefer the two new tools to imaging edge that I have now uninstalled 

To be clear, my earlier posts were messages from Sony Customer Relations (USA). The post directly above is a message from Sony Pro Support (UK) to British A1 user.

15 hours ago, Davide DB said:

IIUC Sony UK and USA give different replies? What a mess!

If enough users are affected by the problem, one must hope that they can coordinate with each other through some kind of class action or legal action.

• Like 1

• Thanks for your support

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.