Editing - any value in a tablet and stylus?

Does anyone here use a Wacom or similar table for editing in Lightroom?  I'm curious to try one.  What are the pros and cons?  Any recommendations for a specific model or must-have features?  TIA

2 hours ago, Troporobo said:

Does anyone here use a Wacom or similar table for editing in Lightroom?  I'm curious to try one.  What are the pros and cons?  Any recommendations for a specific model or must-have features?  TIA

I have a a Intuos size a little bit bigger as an A4 paper for the active surface.
I have use it in the past for Photoshop.... for some picture editing...  and very rarely in LR.
Why I have a Intuos... then in the past I worked with such tablet together with CAD software... It was logical to do the same for the picture....
But I  don't used this since years... if I used it it's not more than 1 or 2 time a year now. She is installed and allways ready to be used, I only need to take the pen and move the keyboard  on the side... 

As you can see I can't recommend such input device, but in some case, specialy if you work allready with. It's only my opinion

• Like 1

Interesting question.  With the increasing power of LR Mobile, I do much of my edits on my iPad Pro (2022).  The Apple Pencil is useful for fine details.  This is very similar to using a tablet for editing.

Once the major edits are complete, I will then return to my MacBook Pro/monitor for any plugin needs or PS that is not available via PS iPad.  Due to the cloud features of LR, edits are synced between devices within my account.

It is important to watch the histogram and have the iPad screen brightness set correctly for proper brightness, etc.  I especially love the portability with this strategy to allow editing virtually anywhere.

• Like 1

WACOM tablet all the way absolutely indispensable for editing IMO.  for example re-touching images just touch the stylus to the tablet with the cloning tools on each bit of backscatter and it's gone, no clicking the mouse constantly, refining masks by drawing is a lot easier with a pen.  I do all my editing pulling curves etc with the stylus as well.  I have a roller bar mouse and a tablet to control my system, never use a regular mouse these days.  Once you get used to it it's hard to do without. 

I use it in PS and Capture One, never had lightroom, my understanding is the smart healing brush is more efficient for this sort of work compared to how lightroom does it

• Like 1

I found the iPad and Pencil very convenient for cleaning up backscatter. I just use Air Play from my Mac to share the screen with the iPad, open Photoshop and I can remove all particles very easy. It is much more efficient than using a mouse.

• Like 2

Thanks much for the feedback.  The Intuos is affordable enough for a what-the-heck trial so I’ve ordered one.  I have a big (non UW) project to work for the next couple of weekends so that will let me know if it works for me.  

I found a Loupdeck for LR much more indispensable as a Wacom.
A Wacom is usefull for "big" editing  but not for the base functionnality of LR.

Perhaps for removing backscatter ok.. but  personnaly  I didn't do that and if I do that only for a small amount of. I didn't spent 1 hour or more to modify a photo.

If I'll need to choose beetween removing the Loupdeck+ or my Intuos... no seconde hesitation... Intuos will be removed. 

Edited by CaolIla
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CaolIla said:

I found a Loupdeck for LR much more indispensable as a Wacom.
A Wacom is usefull for "big" editing  but not for the base functionnality of LR.

Perhaps for removing backscatter ok.. but  personnaly  I didn't do that and if I do that only for a small amount of. I didn't spent 1 hour or more to modify a photo.

If I'll need to choose beetween removing the Loupdeck+ or my Intuos... no seconde hesitation... Intuos will be removed. 

Thank you, that is interesting! Never considered a Loupdeck, I only knew them for audio mixing! Will have to have a look at them! 

Too late for Robert, but I really like the Loupedeck too. I’ve got the CT model. The fine tuning capability and fast processing it brings is brilliant. More useful than a Wacom, I find. 

• Thanks 2

I used to use a Surface Pro with the Surface Pen, and it was great, but the overall UX was not tailored well to not having a mouse. I constantly had to use my Arc mouse or the touchpad on the keyboard. 

Recently switched to a 10th gen iPad with the pencil and can't see myself going back to the surface. I do the majority of my editing on my iPad, and only do certain tasks on my desktop and 43" monitor setup.

Edited by Lewis88
  • Like 1

Never too late Tim!  I’m finding the Intuos far from intuitive after playing around for a couple of evenings.  I don’t have a huge sunk cost so will also look into the Loupedeck which I know nothing about. Thanks for the tips, everyone 

• Like 1

Yeah, the Loupedecks are very good. The CT is almost a mini computer which is infinitely customisable. Loads of dials etc for edit commands all of which you can set up anyway you want. 

I had not heard of Loupedeck before, but unfortunately, it appears that they don't support the video software that I prefer (Pinnacle Studio).  Oh well, they look interesting though.

5 hours ago, SwiftFF5 said:

I had not heard of Loupedeck before, but unfortunately, it appears that they don't support the video software that I prefer (Pinnacle Studio).  Oh well, they look interesting though.

It might be worth dropping them a message to check and see what plans they might have. I’ve found them very responsive. 

• Like 1

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.