Mexico Underwater Camera "Tax" spread to Cancun

Hello Waterpixels,

It came to my attention that a person on my contacts was hit yesterday with the dreaded "camera tax" on his housings, scuba gear, and drysuit travelling through Cancun to the tune of $500. Thats a hefty tax to bring your camera.

Any other horror stories of the camera tax spreading beyond Cabo?

• Sad 2

Seems you are the first reporting this in Cancun, but based on previous posts here the infection has also spread to Mexico City as well (i.e one could previously fly there, and then take domestic to Cabo, effectively dodging Cabo customs).

Edited by makar0n
  • Sad 1

As a side-note, it's not just the camera tax - import (?) taxation and enforcement has generally become very severe recently and this encouraged governmental guidelines.
I was taking to a Mexican friend about this a couple of months back, he had some pretty chilling experiences at Mexico city airport this year, travelling on a Mexican passport (not diving / camera related, but this does seem to be a general trend in the country - I'm not surprised it is spreading)

Similarly, Indonesia introduced some pretty drastic customs measures for "passengers entering from abroad" this year (e.g. electronics: maximum 5 units and with maximum value FOB US$ 1,500; see details here ) but has since backtracked on these measures, which were unclear and doomed to cause chaos at airports...

Edited by bghazzal
  • Thanks 1

I don't quite understand what's the fuzz about this. Granted we arrived to Mexico through Cancun in December 2022 but still the rules haven't change did they? As per regs you can bring 2 cameras, three cellphones, laptop and accessories... 

• Two photographic or video recording cameras; photographic material; three portable cell phone or other wireless networks equipment; a global positioning equipment (gps); an electronic agenda; a portable computer equipment of the so-called laptop, notebook, omnibook or similar; a portable copier or printer; a burner and a portable projector, with its accessories.

https://www.gob.mx/shcp/articulos/lo-que-debes-saber-al-pasar-por-una-aduana-mexicana?idiom=es

or 

https://www.gob.mx/epn/es/articulos/que-mercancia-puedes-ingresar-a-mexico

That customs want to impose their own rules... well that's a play of habit of southernly mentality but as long as one know it's rights and rules one has ammunition towards such creative individuals... Perhaps print the regs in Spanish and have it ready to smack these on their head?

Edited by RomiK

It's a little bit more complicated than that. If you read up on this WeP thread and Scubaboard thread you'll see that some operators had actually created a printout in Spanish for divers to show at customs, and it wasn't much help.
In 2019 customs were hitting divers with 16% of value for photographic items (housings, domes, strobes etc...).

So far Quintana Roo wasn't concerned, it was mostly a Baja California Sur habit, but it seems to have spread first to DF and now Quintana Roo.

I would recommend avoiding confrontational attitudes as much as possible in these kind of situations, do try to talk things out, but avoid confrontation, as customs agents have quite a bit of power, and xenophobia is growing in the global South as well...

My Mexican friend almost ended up in a lockup for attempting corruption after offering to "even things out" with the customs officer - as is often done with authority figures in these kind of situations - so don't count too much on the power of well-earned (yankee) dollars 😉

Edited by bghazzal

The rationale of the Mexican customs authorities is probably that with cameras, only what is usually sold together with a camera counts: Lens, add-on flash unit. However, underwater accessories do not count. 16% tax is therefore due on the dome, housing, flash etc. And if the customs officers wave you over to the X-ray machine or the buzzer flashes red, the money is lost.

I think the broader issue here may be why underwater photographers. I have been traveling to Cozumel through Cancun for decades and I have never seen anyone taxed on a $5000.00 bag of golf clubs, custom surf boards, dive gear, custom bycicles or any of a number of other sporting goods. I seems that if you have expensive camera gear you must be a professional U/W photographer (whatever that is) but not a pro surfer, pro golfer and so on.

For me this is simple, the Caribbean and Central America are littered with excellent dive destinations where I won't be confronted with these possible customs issues on arrival. I have dozens of friends in the Mexican dive industry and it concerns me that this customs problem is causing them to loose business but as a consumer why would I want this possible aggravation on my arrival for a relaxing holiday.  

• Like 8

I agree, but keep in mind it's not uncommon for "electronics" (computers, phones, cameras...) to be taxed differently (heavier) than sporting-goods.

And things are changing, I don't know about bicycles, but there are reports of tourist's dive gear getting taxed on arrival , as well as golf-gear ( see this Reddit thread from two months ago,  a tourist paid 19% import tax on his golf clubs in Cancun, for example)

It's a general protectionist trend, and not really new (the BCS camera-tax became more systematic in 2019)
When I was living/working in Mexico in 2018, importing dive equipment from the USA already incurred non-neglibeable customs duties (I remember being surprised by the amount when buying an SMB fron Jim Carter in Florida - free shipping to La Paz, but hefty import duties...).
Beyond Mexico a couple of years back I sent back my (well-used) hiking shoes, from Japan to EU Europe and had to pay import tax (on my own used, personal goods, which had been bought in Europe, so tax paid...)

The main issue I see here is taxation of tourists' personal, used gear (electronic or otherwise) which is to be used on a holiday and taken back out of the country on departure.
This doesn't really make sense (as it is not an import per se) and is definitely detrimental to the country's tourism industry.

Edited by bghazzal
  • Like 3

In theory this could happen in almost any country, importing things beyond the duty free limits attracts at least GST/VAT the way the laws are written, it's just that someone in Mexico has decided to make a name for themself by rigorously applying the rules - of course assuming the charges go into customs revenue!  I see that the Reddit thread mentions that the charges on their card statement didn't seem like an official Government dept so quite likely scamming.  If you read the fine print it could be applied in many places and being used or not generally doesn't change things.

Again in theory if you have a mega expensive rig you could get a carnet which provides assurance you will re-export the items in question.  It's expensive paperwork though.  If you have been stung it also should work that you can request a receipt with your items listed including serial numbers so that if you come back you pay the tax only once.  Whether this works in practice who knows, but requesting an itemised receipt seems like it is worth doing if you think you may come back at some time.  However if it is scamming then they will no doubt find some hole in your evidence and charge you anyway.

Of course it discourages tourists and as word gets around will impact revenues but likely the customs department is not concerned as the lack of tourists is another departments problem. 

• Like 2

If they allow a card charge, you could also have the charge reversed with your bank when you return to your home country. 

Shame this corruption is spreading though. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Lewis88 said:

Shame this corruption is spreading though. 

Problem is it's not clear if actual corruption, or (over)zealous application of existing (but in this case, certainly questionable) laws...

To give another non-tax related example, most non-US citizens have to purchase an ESTA to transit through the international area of any US based airport for instance - this is something which is rarely found elsewhere, when only switching planes and not leaving the international transit area (ie. not clearing immigration or customs).
Yet this paying process is part of US regulations, and something travelers transiting through the international area of an airport on US soil have to comply with to switch planes in the USA.
The ESTA is valid 3 years IIRC.

Another example in Indonesia, this time: people planning to use their mobile phones in Indonesia for more than 90 days (tourists visas go up to 180 days) have to register their IMEI / phones at customs (phone is blocked beyond that)

There is a $500 USD value-allowance for the phone. Beyond that, the phone is taxed, based on its value (looked up online).
Taxation rate is 40% of the remaining value after being discounted $500 USD.

People who have a residence permit and/or an Indonesian tax number ID (ie residents and Indonesian citizens)  pay 30% instead of 40%.

However, tourists / people staying less than 90 days in Indonesia can use their phones without registration (or tax payment), which constitutes both a free allowance and a grace period.

Back to photo/video equipement, if you look at the 2019 WeP thread, you can see pictures of the import forms photographers were given, which look quite official normal (16% import tax for the import of "photo and video recording items)

1086221346_CustomsUWHousingcharge.jpg.84

As a foreigner, it's generally quite difficult to file a complaint for corruption anywhere, but given the forms issued here, it seems very unlikely to lead to anything.
What would be the base of the complaint other than one is not actually "importing" their personal equipment in this case?

While there might certainly be some corruption and abuse of authority by customs officers, I'm suspecting that they're just being (over)zealous in this case, and that, as Chris suggested, existing, enforceable laws are actually in place.

There's quite a lot of surveillance / security at major international airports, which tends to discourage basic, bill-in-hand type corruption. And previously mentioned, it's a general trend, and Mexican travellers entering their country are also getting hit pretty bad by the same regulations.

The way out would be for the authorities to define / clarify the parameters for tourists, and set an allowance (based on value, visa type, time in the country, like in the Indonesian mobile phone example...) for personal goods to be used on a holiday in Mexico.
But this would require pressure from Mexico's Secretariat of Tourism, and tourism operators...

b

Edited by bghazzal
  • Like 2

Each time I was planing to try Mexico I stopped because the prices, the security issues etc...

and this discussion give me one argument more to never go to Mexico

Thanks

• Like 1

Apologies for the dual post, but I didn’t see this thread before posting.

I literally just cleared Cancun customs and they opened all my dive gear.

They REALLY wanted to tax me on my dome port, camera lens and housing.  Luckily I had used invoices and am fluent in Spanish, but still took about 30 minutes of discussions before they let me go.

They were saying and using the exact same language and terminology as the customs officials in Cabo.

First time it’s happened to me on the eastern/Gulf side of Mexico.

…and by the way, they actually flagged my nondescript black roller bag that had my clothes/dive gear in it.  They asked to open everything and that’s when they went after the camera gear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

On 7/15/2024 at 9:27 AM, TimG said:

Cozumel next?

I went to Cozumel the last week of May 2024. This was my 15th or 16th trip there over the last 20 years; mostly flying into Cozumel but also flying into Cancun a few times. In May, I was carrying my camera, housing, WWL, strobes, and lights in a duffle bag. At the X-ray, the person at the discharge 'red/green' light button kept saying I had 2 cameras and I kept saying no only one camera in an underwater housing. He then tried to say I had big batteries and I explained those were the underwater 'flashes' (he didn't appear to understand the word strobe). He periodically communicated with the lady actually viewing the X-ray in Spanish. Eventually, he let me through without ever opening the bag since I got a green light when I pushed the button. However, this is the first time that I have received any hassle getting through the airport exit process to get into the country.

I recently got 'Taxed' when going through cancun. It wasn't for anything camera related but I had taken a drone. 

The customs agent even checked Google to see how much it was worth, but clearly could find it and I had said it was worth $80, it wasn't. 

Does it matter of you take invoices? Receipts etc

I am due to travel to Cabo San Lucas in January for a Socorro trip and don't want to get stung. 

My liveaboard  operator has even drafted something in relation to the 'Camera Tax'. I will only be taking 1 x camera & 1 x Gopro, but I'm wondering if I should travel with the camera in the underwater housing or leave the Gopro at home. 

It's actually making me quite anxious. I will print off as much as I can in both English and Spanish, but does anyone have any other tips? 

It's a very sat state of affairs and will no doubt affect tourism as I wouldn't have booked if I had of known. 

6 hours ago, Johno1530 said:

I am due to travel to Cabo San Lucas in January for a Socorro trip and don't want to get stung. 

My liveaboard  operator has even drafted something in relation to the 'Camera Tax'. I will only be taking 1 x camera & 1 x Gopro, but I'm wondering if I should travel with the camera in the underwater housing or leave the Gopro at home.

It's actually making me quite anxious. I will print off as much as I can in both English and Spanish, but does anyone have any other tips?

Unfortunately the print-out made by operators, which is probably the same as the one mentioned in the 2019 thread posted above, doesn't seem to have much effect.
Camera in the housing might be a good idea - reading up officers had a tendency to consider housings as an extra camera - but if there are other accessories (lenses, domes, strobes, lights...) these can be subject to taxation as well.

GoPro I guess you could keep in a jacket pocket somewhere?
best of luck
b

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bghazzal said:

Camera in the housing might be a good idea - reading up officers had a tendency to consider housings as an extra camera - but if there are other accessories (lenses, domes, strobes, lights...) these can be subject to taxation as well.

GoPro I guess you could keep in a jacket pocket somewhere?
best of luck

AFAIK GoPro has never been in scope. So that doesn't matter.

Having the camera in the housing might reduce the risk only a little bit - most of the customs officers know what they are searching for. So best is hoping for the green light if you hit the button.

• Sad 2

48 minutes ago, fruehaufsteher2 said:

Having the camera in the housing might reduce the risk only a little bit - most of the customs officers know what they are searching for. So best is hoping for the green light if you hit the button.

What a sad state of affairs. It will likely hit the people of Mexico more than us. 

If I have to pay 'Tax' on a camera I have already paid tax on, then I will be unable to afford to spend money in Mexico I.e. People gratuities/tips will suffer. 

I also will NOT travel back to Mexico. Hopefully, liveaboards, dive centres, resorts and others will start realising and group together. 

Mexico is already more expensive than the UK and whilst I can afford it, I do not like being scammed. 

I have started translating Mexican and international customs laws, as well as other useful phrases into Spanish to help with any interaction. 

Unfortunately, it would appear that bad interactions are quite often and having been stung already, I'm a bit anxious. 

I will reduce my camera equipment down to next to nothing and hope for the best. Not what I was hoping for from a trip of a lifetime. 

1 hour ago, fruehaufsteher2 said:

Not sure about that unfortunately - if you look at the 2019 document, wording is 16% tax on "photo and video recording equipment", and the allowance is, IIRC, one camera per traveller, meaning customs could likely consider the gopro or other action cams as a second camera should they wish to do so.

They were probably focusing primarily on the most expensive items until now, but with action cam prices on the rise, and given how zealously the laws seemed to be applied given recent feedback (with reports of dive gear and golf clubs being taxed for instance) I wouldn't count on it if one is caught in the taxation whirlpool...

But yes, best stay as inconspicuous as possible and hope for the green light...

Edited by bghazzal

Hi Bghazzal,

fully agree. The fact that until now no gopro wasn't in scope doesn't mean that it will stay that way. "doesn't matter" seems a bit too optimistic.

But one more speculation: there could be another reason why Mexico is not so unhappy about becoming less attractive to divers and underwater photographers. There is a rumour, for example, that no-wake zones for animals have been established not because of the animals, but to keep the cartels undisturbed.

Honi soit qui mal y pense....

Edited by fruehaufsteher2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Johno1530 said:

Unfortunately, it would appear that bad interactions are quite often and having been stung already, I'm a bit anxious. 

Why not just save yourself the hassle John and just take the GoPro rather than anything more complex? 

That way you're not going to worry about all your shiny new kit getting "taxed", and you are more likely to enjoy the trip knowing you haven't been stung before you've had a chance to enjoy it...such an event happening would prey on my mind all trip and make me even more grumpy. 

FWIW, Mexico has found its way OFF my list...this and the Mayan train damaging the cenotes tell me all I need to know about the value placed on divers, diving, and the environment.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustinO said:

Why not just save yourself the hassle John and just take the GoPro rather than anything more complex? 

That way you're not going to worry about all your shiny new kit getting "taxed", and you are more likely to enjoy the trip knowing you haven't been stung before you've had a chance to enjoy it...such an event happening would prey on my mind all trip and make me even more grumpy. 

FWIW, Mexico has found its way OFF my list...this and the Mayan train damaging the cenotes tell me all I need to know about the value placed on divers, diving, and the environment.  

To be honest, I have considered that but I have the kit for a reason. It sad that we have to consider not taking items due to fraud/scamming. I agree that I would be grumpy if I got stung, but I think I would also be grumpy taking just the gopro. 

I may even cancel the trip all together yet. 

I went to Mexico in June, really enjoyed it and only had an issue with my drone, not my cameras or underwater housing but I think Cabo San Lucas is a different kettle of fish. 

They got me for a very minor amount, something like 20 dollars, which annoyed me but I got over it pretty quickly. Not sure I would feel the same about 2000$.

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.