Skip to content

Member Introductions / Archived topic

Member Introductions

Started by james ·

  • 3711Posts
  • 3711Replies

Read-only discussion

Member Introductions

3711 posts
  1. Hi, my name is David from Brisbane, Australia.

    Long time amateur photographer and diver hoping to spend more time now doing both. Glad to now be part of the wetpixel community.

  2. This is my first post, but thats me behind the camera

  3. 21 minutes ago, CJE said:

    This is my first post, but thats me behind the camera

    I hate to say this, but I don't think you're image is attached......

  4. Hi All, My name is Rich from Baltimore, Md USA.

    Was on here for years trolling around, but then for some reason could not get my account restored per Adam.. so I started new account and here I am.

    Been diving for over 20 Years on and off, Above water photography for well.. since film was our only option haha. Switched to Digital when the Nikon D100 came out and got that underwater a bunch. Then D800 and D850… now looking to jump in to Z7.. size saving not.. but I like technology and jumping to mirrorless.. maybe ill regret it. Always done Wide.. but like to start my macro adventure. 60 or 105 im still debating.

    Anyway..... WetPixel has been a huge resource and Im glad to have found and joined these forums AGAIN. Thanks to all the members that post for indirectly helping me haha and Ill do my best to give back as my knowledge grows here.

  5. Hey Rich

    Welcome to Wetoixel. We hope you find it a great resource.  I thought I’d chip-in on your macro lens thinking. 

    it’d be well worth you searching on WP for views on a 60mm micro lens on an FX camera. It’s been discussed quite a bit and the merits of the 105 mm v 60.mm. Well worth a read before you invest. A lot of FXers question whether a 60mm is worth it on FX  

     

  6. Thanks Tim, yeah that’s why I’m still on the fence. 60 feels like it would be handy but I keep hearing the same thing you said — a lot of FX shooters just go 105 for macro. I’ll dig up those threads before I buy anything. Always been a wide guy so this macro thing is new territory for me.

  7. Hi all, my name is Simon and I am a recreational and commercial diver located in Ibiza, an island in Spain, Europe. My passsion is underwater photography, and this is what I do every single weekend or in diving trips. It's nice to join such a big forum of underwater photgraphy passionates.

  8. Hello from tampa Florida, d500 and gopro are trust sidekicks UW


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. Hello Wetpixel community!  The first time I dove (after getting certified) I took a camera with me. My photography equipment remains unsophisticated, but I feel like a crucial part of my gear is missing if I don't have my camera with me. 

    I now spend more hours on Lightroom than playing solitaire ...to me that's a good thing 'cause every fish, coral, sponge, algea and wee beastie I peer at helps me remember my dives and also works my grey matter over. 

    i joined Wetpixel because, every now and then, I come across something that I cannot identify, nor even guess at.  So the majority of my posts will likely be in the Critter Identification Forum.

  10. Hello everybody!

    My name is Valtteri, I'm from Finland but luckily leaving to South East Asia again in about a week. I've been diving for a few years now, but as it is freaking cold here and I haven't had the money to buy a dry suit - or any scuba gear of my own - yet, I've been diving while traveling.

    My go to destination has been and probably will be Koh Tao in the gulf of Thailand. I've grown to hate the place as much as I love it and if there were another place where I could get the courses done in my native language even close to the prices on that island I wouldn't find myself there almost every year. I've always felt the most safe and comfortable diving with Koh Tao Divers, which I can't say about all the dive centers I've dove with. Finnish people speak relatively good English - some might do Swedish too - so highly recommended for all. ;)

    I don't do one or two week vacations - it's between one to four months for me - and to do that I cannot be tied to a full time job. Thus my yearly income is quite low, thus my budget for gear is quite low as I try to prefer eating over shiny things.

    I have a Sony A6000 and I'm pretty sure sticking with the series. Last year I bought the Meikon fixed port housing and I actually got a few almost decent shots on the very first dives with the camera in Komodo national park in Indonesia (amazing place, skip the lizard, go for the dives). At that time I realized I know nothing about underwater photography - you really do need a light source, a faster lens only gives you more blur.

    I still don't have that light and for this coming trip I'm stuck with the kit zoom underwater, but I'm going to start building something a little more serious around the camera. And that's why I'm here - to ask all the stupid questions! :D

    Here's the few almost decent shots that I got. Heavily Photoshopped to hide the flaws.

    1. Green turtle, Sony A6000 + 16-50 mm @ 50 mm - f/5,6 - 1/80 sec
    47579758_10156922200409886_8535114879269

    2. The same green turtle, 17 mm - f/4,5 - 1/125 sec
    47580503_10156922255139886_6239509701994

    3. White tip reef shark from above, 16 mm - f/4,5 - 1/80 sec
    48372204_10156922263854886_8298929319082

    4. Manta ray, 16 mm - f/4,5 - 1/250 sec
    47165648_10156922200249886_8300449668786

    Sorry for a long post, thank you in advance for bearing with me and my stupid questions.

    Valtteri

  11.  Hi there! Michelle from Florida. I have been diving for over 20 years and been a professional photographer and videographer for 15. Looking forward to learning new tips and tricks from all of you!

  12. Hey! I’m matt, I’m a diver from California although I currently am landlocked living in Colorado :( I am a semi pro photographer and am finally ready to take the plunge (pun intended) into underwater photography after years of dreaming!)

  13. Rick here from Mumbai. New to the forum, have some great gear I'll share for recycling shortly.

  14. Hi everybody,

    Theis from Copenhagen here. Just starting doing UW photography, and have some questions for the veterans :)

  15. Hi Everyone

    Been diving with a camera for a while (from 35mm days), but its become the reason for diving, even here on the South Coast of England..

    Cheers

  16. Hi there! 

    Just joined the forum, been shooting in the water for around 2 years now and can't get enough.

    282d28d495b183076d7c8f13f5498b01-thumb.j

  17. Hello to the Group! 

    Although I've been diving since 2004, I just learned about Wetpixel, so feel a little late to the party. My husband and I try to go diving twice a year. Our favorite dive spots are in the Philippines and Indonesia. A local friend talked me into trying underwater photography a few years ago. You would think that by now I'd be more expert than I am, but I'm still learning and still making mistakes. Fortunately, I do get a really good shot every once in a while -- that encourages me to keep trying! 

    I look forward to learning from everyone here.

    71277864_10156778590702725_3779262790288 

  18. Hello,

    Name is Jason and I am just getting into UW photo in a big way.  Just upgraded my kit from a Compact Cannon GX7 to a Panasonic S1.  Wow, talk about an upgrade.  Looking forward to learning more and getting some new gear.

  19. Hello fellow photo-holics.  My name is Brant and I currently reside in the Chicago area.

    I started taking pictures underwater in 1979 while working on a live aboard in the Bahamas.  I have gone thru several upgrades over the years and I currently shoot with an Olympus OMD E-M5.  I am looking forward to sharing and learning here, I really want to progress from my current level.

    I’ll post some of my recent work in the appropriate forum.

    Edited by PhotoJunkie — Spelling corrections
  20. Hello, Dave Roush here. I own several cameras and housings. I live in Key largo, Florida

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.