Skip to content

Member Introductions / Archived topic

Member Introductions

Started by james ·

  • 3711Posts
  • 3711Replies

Read-only discussion

Member Introductions

3711 posts
  1. Hello everyone

    Another new member of Wetpixel! I'm Chris, I live in Dubai and do my weekend diving in Fujairah and Musandam. I've joined the board to ask some questions about custom white balance with the use of red/magenta filters along with video lights and video light filters.

    I will have a look for a relevant thread and post the questions there.

    It's good to join you!

    Chris

     

  2. Howdy,

     

    I've been driving recreationally for the last 10 years, professionally for the last year. Never had anything more than a basic underwater camera and am looking to expand my knowledge and skillset.

  3. Hi all,

    I’ve been reading WP for about a year now (since I got interested in UW photography to complement my diving) but just formally joined up today. I don’t have much experience shooting UW (I’ve pretty much just used an old “Faux”-Pro) but I shoot a Fujifilm X-T1 on land. Hoping to find a good housing for it though I know there’s not a lot of Fujilove in the UW community. I also have a Sony NEX-5N with Nauticam housing but I have yet to take it underwater. It’s really small but I kind of hate that camera so I am definitely wanting something for my Fuji.

    Jake

    K13FULR.jpg

  4. 11 hours ago, climb-ski-dive said:

    Hi all,

    I’ve been reading WP for about a year now (since I got interested in UW photography to complement my diving) but just formally joined up today. I don’t have much experience shooting UW (I’ve pretty much just used an old “Faux”-Pro) but I shoot a Fujifilm X-T1 on land. Hoping to find a good housing for it though I know there’s not a lot of Fujilove in the UW community. I also have a Sony NEX-5N with Nauticam housing but I have yet to take it underwater. It’s really small but I kind of hate that camera so I am definitely wanting something for my Fuji.

    Jake

    K13FULR.jpg

    Welcome to the forums! Housings you can get but only a limited array of lenses that are good underwater,  Nauticam made an XT-1 housing but now discontinued, they sell them for XH-1 and XT-3 and those housings use the bigger N100 ports so better for large wide angle lenses.  The Port charts can be found here: https://www.nauticam.com/pages/port-charts

  5. Hello all,

    I've been diving for 28 years now and dabbling in underwater photography for the past few. Wetpixel has been a source of great info but I haven't had anything to contribute so I haven't posted. I'm getting the opportunity to travel to the coasts for much more interesting subjects. So with that said I have questions and info I would like to contribute. Thanks

  6. Hello everyone, I am a enthusiastic sports photographer who is looking to start shooting underwater. I have been shooting for almost 30 years. I have recently been updating my kit and would still like to add some more. I can't wait to start contributing on this forum.

  7. Hello all,

    I am an Irish diver and have been taking underwater photos for a number of years now. I've been a keen follower of these forums for a number of years but apart from the classifieds section i haven't been much of a contributor. I have just purchased an Olympus EM1 mk3 and Nauticam housing (yet to dive with it) but i have dived with the EM10 mk2 for the last few years. I used to do quite a bit of dive travel but i now have a young family so i've had to cut back on the foreign dive trips a good bit. Im really looking forward to getting back in the water in the next few weeks

    Regards,

    Mike

  8. Dandyrandy saying hi to all the wet pixels out there. 

  9. Once again hello to all. I have been on/off u/w photography for a number of years but due to some personal issues haven't been able to go on many trips in last few years. Shooting Canon 7d, 5dMK4 which I am looking for a housing for.

  10. Looking to learn.  I'm a reasonably experienced diver (350 dives) trying to improve my generally poor underwater photos.

    Current gear is not the problem.   (Canon G16 in an Ikelite housing with two DS125 strobes, the Ikelite wide angle wet lens and an adapter for a 7 diopter macro).  Nothing state-of-the-art, but I've seen exceptional photos taken with similar get

  11. On 6/27/2020 at 2:29 AM, ChrisRoss said:

    Welcome to the forums! Housings you can get but only a limited array of lenses that are good underwater,  Nauticam made an XT-1 housing but now discontinued, they sell them for XH-1 and XT-3 and those housings use the bigger N100 ports so better for large wide angle lenses.  The Port charts can be found here: https://www.nauticam.com/pages/port-charts

    Thanks for the welcome, and for that beta!

    Lenses are definitely one concern since the officially supported Nauticam options are pretty limited (though to be fair to Nauticam the Fuji lens lineup is pretty sparse to begin with). Hopefully lots of new lens options will become available in the coming months as Fujifilm are finally opening up the X-mount to third parties. For wide angle I have an N85 port that should work with a manual focus fisheye such as from 7artisans or Nikkor that I plan to just preset the focus and aperture on before jumping in the water. For macro I have an N85 port that should work with the Fujinon 60mm 1:2 macro lens. That port should also work with the 18-55mm f/2.8-4 zoom lens with the 16mm extension tube which would give 0.97x magnification at an effective f/5.3 and it would definitely work with the 11mm extension tube which would provide 0.69x magnification at an effective f/4.5 (if my calculations are correct). I also have the E-mount N85 Nikonos adaptor, which may or may not work (the internal diameter of the E-mount is significantly wider than that of the X-mount).

    Another concern is the aperture rings on XF lenses. If I was using a zoom lens I’d have to shoot in program-shift mode to get any say in the aperture while maintaining zoom functionality (short of buying a port extension that has its own focus knob). Or I could use the XC lineup of lenses but it seems silly to get entirely different lenses for use underwater. How much inconvenience am I willing to put up with to use my Fuji underwater? Lots to think about!

  12. Hi everyone, my name is John and I am a newbie from US. I am into photography and video shooting,  just want to know more about photography and get more experience and I am sure I am at the right place. Nice to meet you all.

  13. New member Chris here.   I did a lot of UW photography years ago with a Nikonos V rig.   Just getting back into the hobby with a Sony A6500 and Nauticam housing.   Looking forward to posting here and meeting others interested in this hobby.

    Cheers, Chris

  14. On 7/3/2020 at 7:29 AM, climb-ski-dive said:

    Thanks for the welcome, and for that beta!

    Lenses are definitely one concern since the officially supported Nauticam options are pretty limited (though to be fair to Nauticam the Fuji lens lineup is pretty sparse to begin with). Hopefully lots of new lens options will become available in the coming months as Fujifilm are finally opening up the X-mount to third parties. For wide angle I have an N85 port that should work with a manual focus fisheye such as from 7artisans or Nikkor that I plan to just preset the focus and aperture on before jumping in the water. For macro I have an N85 port that should work with the Fujinon 60mm 1:2 macro lens. That port should also work with the 18-55mm f/2.8-4 zoom lens with the 16mm extension tube which would give 0.97x magnification at an effective f/5.3 and it would definitely work with the 11mm extension tube which would provide 0.69x magnification at an effective f/4.5 (if my calculations are correct). I also have the E-mount N85 Nikonos adaptor, which may or may not work (the internal diameter of the E-mount is significantly wider than that of the X-mount).

    Another concern is the aperture rings on XF lenses. If I was using a zoom lens I’d have to shoot in program-shift mode to get any say in the aperture while maintaining zoom functionality (short of buying a port extension that has its own focus knob). Or I could use the XC lineup of lenses but it seems silly to get entirely different lenses for use underwater. How much inconvenience am I willing to put up with to use my Fuji underwater? Lots to think about!

    No problem, on the fisheye lens don't forget that the focus in air is totally different to the focus in water as the lens focuses on a virtual image in a dome port, which is located about 3 dome radii from the edge of the dome.  I have found you really need to focus with fisheye lenses if you use them underwater - generally you are focusing on things that are really close and it is best to focus on the closest thing in the frame as the depth of field extends further behind the focal point.  I'm sure you could get it to work after a fashion but the temptation would be focus further out and not get the real benefit of the fisheye which is getting really close to your subject.

  15. Hello

    I'm Benoit, living close to Paris - FRANCE. 

    I'm 34 years old, and  scuba diver since 15 ; Instructor (CMAS 1 star) since 2011.

    And i finally buy a waterproof box for my Canon 500D last week !! (and it's my first one even I tried go-pro few years ago)

     

    So Hi !

  16. My name is Adri or Aad like most people call me. I live in The Netherlands and started diving in 2006.
    In 2010 i started to take pictures with a DSLR set.

    I have been to Malasia, Borneo, Bonaire, Egypth, Indonesia.

    Bonaire feels like it is my second home.

  17. Hello,

    i use a Lumix G9 in a Nauticam Housing. I hope to learn a lot here and get inspiration.

    cheers

  18. On 6/15/2004 at 11:55 AM, james said:

     

    Welcome to Wetpixel!

    It is the most vibrant, knowledgeable and helpful underwater imaging community in the world. This is largely because the members of the community selflessly share their experience and skill. Please try to contribute yours too.

    Please use this topic to write a short introduction to the community.

    Once you have done so, this will unlock the ability to create your own topics in almost all the other forums. 

    The exception is the Classifieds, which is open to members that have contributed at least 3 posts in any other forums (your post in this topic counts as one of these)

    We look forward to your posts!

     

     

     

    On 6/15/2004 at 11:55 AM, james said:

     

    Welcome to Wetpixel!

    It is the most vibrant, knowledgeable and helpful underwater imaging community in the world. This is largely because the members of the community selflessly share their experience and skill. Please try to contribute yours too.

    Please use this topic to write a short introduction to the community.

    Once you have done so, this will unlock the ability to create your own topics in almost all the other forums. 

    The exception is the Classifieds, which is open to members that have contributed at least 3 posts in any other forums (your post in this topic counts as one of these)

    We look forward to your posts!

     

     

    Aloha,

    My name is josh and I live on the island of Kauai in the Hawaiian islands. I am a certified Freediving instructor and own the company Freedive Kauai.  I’ve recently gotten deeper into underwater photo and video and stoked to check out other wetpixel members. Aloha 

  19. Aloha all,

    I am a dive instructor currently based in Hawaii.  Have lived around the world for the past 5 or so years and seen some amazing things. Looking to learn more about underwater photography. 

  20. Aloha all,

    I am a dive instructor currently based in Hawaii.  Have lived around the world for the past 5 or so years and seen some amazing things. Looking to learn more about underwater photography. 

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.