Skip to content

Member Introductions / Archived topic

Member Introductions

Started by james ·

  • 3711Posts
  • 3711Replies

Read-only discussion

Member Introductions

3711 posts
  1. Hello everyone,

    I'm a dive master and an underwater photographer. I started diving in 2011. A friend suggested I join this forum since I'm looking to sell my current underwater equipment and upgrade to the next BBD (bigger better deal) :)

    I also have an online photography business, so come take a look and see the selection:

    www.susieriversphotography.com

    Susie

     

    Edited by Susie Rivers — Spelling
  2. u556868460-o1042327086-53.jpgHello!

    My name is Rob Giersch and I am excited to learn a lot from this community.  My first experience with UW Photography was in 1995 when I moved to The Philippines and worked in Asia/Middle East for about 4 years.  Started with a Nikonos V, macro frames, slide film; and spent a good 2 years spending just about every other weekend down at Batangas or Puerto Gallera chasing Nudibranchs and crabs. 

    Took a loooong hiatus on diving when I moved back to the states, started a family.... you know the drill.  Only dipped my toe back in the waters with the family a few years ago, so re-acquainting myself with UW and the possibilities digital and new technology opens up.  Have always shot Canon for good or bad, so currently use Nauticam w/my 5D MkIV but want to upgrade to the R5 as I went mirrorless a few years ago for my topside work.  

    I retired in 2020 and am focusing VERY hard on playing as hard as I can and scratching the photography itch that has plagued me since high school.  My main focus is adventure sports and I spend the majority of my time shooting whitewater and MTB, but really just enjoy being outdoors experiencing whatever Mother Nature is willing to share. You can see my topside work here:

    https://www.robgierschphotography.com/

    I have really seen the creative difference that lighting can make in one's photography and am excited to see how this translates to UW.

    You can also see some of my old slide images from mid 90's here:

    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.17454787672&type=3

  3. Last trip I made in 2019.  Conditions were "meh" but any day encountering whales is a good one!

    Tahiti-2019-KatherineLu-LU6A2359-REDUCED.jpg

    Tahiti-Whale-LU6A1727 REDUCED.jpg

  4. Hi everyone,

    I'm a diver from USA shooting Sony Alphas. Looking forward to meeting people on this site and learning from all experienced photographers. Here are some of my work

    www.instagram.com/seaupsidedown

  5. Hello world ;-)

    More than 30 year as certified diver,  like to share expirience and allways keen to learn something new.

    Berry

    Edited by Berry
  6. Howdy from Texas!

    I learned to dive in 2010 and on my first open water dive took a single use film camera with me.  The photos turned out horrible, but I was hooked on the idea of taking pictures underwater.  I replaced that with a Canon Powershot G9 in a Canon case that I promptly flooded on my second dive trip.  Sent that camera back to Canon, they revived it.  Switched to an Ikelite housing.  Kept diving it for a few years.  Mostly took photos I'd enjoy as the G9 had it's share of limitations.  Around 2015 I sold that camera and housing in what was supposed to be a year or two break from diving while I built a house.  That turned into an unscheduled break from diving for several years.... life gets in the way sometimes.  I'm in the process of rebuilding my dive photo rig and joined here to network with others who enjoy UW photography.

  7. Hi
    My name is Marc Casanovas and I am from Spain.
    Underwater photographer since 1996, basically Mediterranean. I have used reflex, compact and mirrorless cameras of various brands and my next camera will be a Nikon Z9. I hope soon...

    www.marccasanovas.net

     

    Edited by Marc Casanovas
  8. Hi all, 

    It''s about time that I visit this forum more often and share the passion in underwater photography, so here's a bit of an introduction of myself. 

    I am René Weterings, married to Cindy and together we have two wonderful kids (Isis and Rowan). We live in the Netherlands and I regularly dive in the Dutch waters, mainly the salt waters like Lake Grevelingen and The Eastern Scheldt. 
    Together with my family we like to go to places to snorkel and scuba dive, preferably in warm waters. ;-)

    My passion is underwater photography, but I also like to write stories. I regularly write articles about scuba diving, travelling and underwater photography in print and online. 

    I also like to participate in shoot-out contests, like the Open Dutch Championship in Underwater Photography and the Open Belgian Championship in Underwater Photography. I can proudly say I won the Belgian in 2015 and the Dutch in 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021. 
    In 2019 I was lucky enough to participate in the CMAS World Championship in Underwater Photography on the beautiful Canarian Island of Tenerife. :-)

    At the moment I a work with the Olympus OM-D E-M1 mark III in a Nauticam housing. I have used INON strobes for 10 years, but I recently switched to Sea&Sea (YS-D3 mark II). 

    My favorite lens is the Olympus 8mm fisheye PRO, but I also regularly use the Panasonic 45mm macro, Olympus 30mm and 60mm macro and the Olympus 12-40mm PRO.

    Being in the water is relaxing and I can't wait to visit more beautiful places on our planet in the future.

    Kind regards,

    René Weterings

    Edited by Rene Weterings
  9. G'day all fellow underwater photo frothers,

     

    my name is Clark and I am Treasure Coast, Florida based marine biologist that has been shooting underwater since 2014. My adventures include Australia, the Bahamas, and locally around Floria. I started off shooting with an old Watershot housing with a Canon T1i with kit 18-55mm and then Tokina 10-17mm. I just upgraded to a Sony A7C with Nauticam and WWL-1 for the 28-60mm. 

    I am new to the forum and looking to learn from you all, shop a bit and maybe even sell some old gear! 

    Thanks and looking forward to connecting!

    -Clark

  10. Hello all!

    I'm from the Northeast US. I have lurked before and finally worked up the nerve to post to thank everyone for the wisdom in these forums.

    I joined to learn more about UW photography as a way to express the beauty of the underwater world to my family and friends. It is definitely still a work in progress.

    Using a Canon S95 + Ikelite housing + Sea and Sea YS-01 and gopro.

     

  11. Hello!

    I have been diving and shooting the PNW for more than a decade.  Always looking for ways to improve both my diving and photography skills.   Looking forward to hanging out with the folks here.

  12. Hello wetpixel buddys!

    New underwater photography enthusiast, I hope to learn a lot from you and exchange experiences!

     

  13. Hi!  I'm Shane Reynolds.  I'm an underwater cinematographer based out of Destin Florida.  I have various rigs for various cameras 9mostly Nauticam user) and have been shooting for different shows/networks for the past 22 years.  I'm obviously late to wetpixel party.  Looking forward to utilizing such a resource.  www.colorearth.tv

  14. Hi Everyone,

    I am Oregon, USA based diver and ocean scientist. Been shooting underwater images for a few decades for both fun and research.  I've been reading Wetpixel for a couple years.

    Best,
    Andrew

  15. Hi everyone,

    I'm an Australian Photographer based in Port Douglas. I got into underwater photography in order to help my partner get better reference images to paint from. She's a wildlife artist that focuses mostly on sealife. Last year we opened our very own gallery (SEA Gallery) here in Port Douglas, where I sell my photographs on paper and canvas.

    My first underwater housing was an Ikelite 200DL with a Canon 5D mk iii. I used the trusty 15mm Sigma fisheye almost exclusively with this system and dual DS161 strobes. We've now been with Sony for 2 years and have a A7iii in the new Ikelite housing (with the same strobes), which my partner uses. I'm shooting with an A7r3 with an Isotta Housing, 8" dome acrylic dome and dual retra pro x strobes.

    I love being underwater, both diving and free diving. I predominantly shoot turtles, but have been building my collection of Sharks, Rays and Whale up slowly over the past few years.

    Currently have a 14mm GM, 20mm G & 28mm Sony lenses that can be used between both systems.

    Longtime reader, looking to start contributing :)

    Cheers,

    Dave

  16. Hi I'm Dan - I shoot with may cameras. I just bought two latest version Rolleimarin housings, and need some new rubber seals. I have camera connecting parts for one camera housing - need a set for second housing. Also need some of the glass Rolleinar and contrast filters. And also need the finders that attach to top of housings.

  17. Hi All Wetpixel members,

    I am Sandy from Vanuatu, my partner John and I are avid Divers and underwater photographers. We live on the main island of Efate in Havannah Harbour so we can dive right from our beach stairs. Even though our reef has been destroyed by COTS we find many species of nudibranchs, leafy scorpion fish and many more interesting critters. I am currently in the market to upgrade since my videography has been improving I would like to take it to the next level from my Sony RX100 to maybe a GH5. I enjoy this site as it is a great way to find out information about different techniques, equipment and recommendations. 

  18. Welcome Sandy!  You are in a great spot, I am envious.  I spent many years working in Vanuatu, the Solomons, and PNG and diving on the weekends.  It's now been a long time but I hope to get back some day soon.  

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.