Skip to content

Member Introductions / Archived topic

Member Introductions

Started by james ·

  • 3711Posts
  • 3711Replies

Read-only discussion

Member Introductions

3711 posts
  1. Hi, I'm Kara!

    I am not new to diving or photography, but I recently heard about this forum. I have some gear I would like to sell and can't seem to find a place that doesn't have a lot of scammers. I'll be interested to see what other topics may peak my interest. 

  2. Good morning all 

    I live and dive in the British Virgin Islands so very lucky! I have just completed my Rescue Diver course and might do my Divemaster as an end of year goal!

    Looking forward to receiving hints and tips!

    :) 

  3. Hello from Georgia, USA!

    Avid diver and UW photographer for 7 years; 300+ dives.  Love traveling to warm water locations w/ friends to shoot both macro and wide-angle.  Currently shooting with a Sony RX100 M2, CMC2, WWL-1, and YS-D1.

    Best,

    Eric

  4. Living in San Francisco - just trying to get into UW photography a bit. Have some trips coming up and live relatively close to some good diving spots - so I figured I should probably get into this hobby a bit more seriously.

  5. I have a higher end camera and housing. Canon mk 3 and Nauticam.  It is complete ready to go in the water

  6. Hi there,

    I've started diving seriously only last summer, although I've been interested in diving for a long time - I got my first certification in 2005, but only had 10 dives until last year, since I've had another 50 open water dives and I've been passionate about photography all my life with some limited experience in stock photo.

    A couple of months ago I've bought a used Easydive Leo Wi (with a single S&S YS-60) for my Sony A6500. Now I'm reading everything that I can find about UWP as I'm figuring that I need to forget almost everything that I know about photography :-). I am also looking to properly setup my system (ports, domes, wet lenses and strobes).

  7. Hello,

    I am from the Neherlands and used uw-compact camera's for many years, here, in other European countries and in tropical waters. A year ago I updated from an Olympus PEN EPL7 to an OMD Mark 5 iii.  As waters are dark here, I mostly shoot macro. In the coming years I want to improve my wide angle photography with my WWL-1 lens. Perhaps I should upgrade my flashes as well, currently I have two Sea&Sea ys-01 's ..

    My gallery: https://zeezoom.nl

     

  8. i- I'm Alexander Allen from San Francisco Bay Area and have been reading Wetpixel for about a year now. I am an advance diver but  reltively new UW photography.  Interested in learning more from the members and picking up some used gear to save money. UW Photography is not cheap!

  9. Hello. Excited to join the Wetpixel community.  I am relatively new to UW photography.  Thus far my experience has been limited to a TG5 compact camera and gopro. I also own a Canon 5d Mark IV, which I had only used topside and for which I recently purchased a Nauticam housing. I am excited to learn more and take my 5d Mark IV underwater.

  10. Hey all,

    I'm mostley Red Sea diver that enjoying photography as well.
    My gear at the moment is a6500 with Seafrog housing and gopro.
    You guys are welcome to see some of the pics on my Instegram page guyc7.

    Have great dives!

    Guy

  11. On 6/16/2004 at 5:55 AM, james said:

     

    Welcome to Wetpixel!

    It is the most vibrant, knowledgeable and helpful underwater imaging community in the world. This is largely because the members of the community selflessly share their experience and skill. Please try to contribute yours too.

    Please use this topic to write a short introduction to the community.

    Once you have done so, this will unlock the ability to create your own topics in almost all the other forums. 

    The exception is the Classifieds, which is open to members that have contributed at least 3 posts in any other forums (your post in this topic counts as one of these)

    We look forward to your posts!

     

     

    Hi there. My name is Adrian and I'm from  Australia. Been spearfishing and scuba diving since I was a teenager.  Recently became interested in UW photography.  I've signed up here to get help with starting out. Thanks

     

  12. Hi, I'm Willie and I'm from the Shetland Islands (UK).

    Currently I'm shooting a Sony A6500 in a Salted line housing, with a couple of Sea & Sea YS-01 strobes. Hopefully upgrading to a Nauticam housing soon :rolleyes:.

  13. Hi, Glenn here, located up in Maine.  Long time stalker of the forums, and just now getting active.  I have been diving for the last 30+ years (PADI Dive Master).  I was a working ‘land’ based photographer for the last 25 years.  Two years ago, i finally had the chance to pursue my dream of shooting underwater. I acquired a Olympus camera and Nauticam housing and got some great dives in with that setup but absolutely hated the Olympus.  On land I primarily shoot Leica and Nikon and just could not make the adjustment.  I sold that kit after 2 weeks in Bonaire and then COVID hit.  Now, with 2021/2022 dive trips booked, I am trying to decide if I should go with a Z7ii setup or jump to Sony..... Any feedback or thoughts would be welcome.  My primary interest underwater is macro work.

     

    Cheers, love this community!!

  14. 39 minutes ago, Gcharles63 said:

    Hi, Glenn here, located up in Maine.  Long time stalker of the forums, and just now getting active.  I have been diving for the last 30+ years (PADI Dive Master).  I was a working ‘land’ based photographer for the last 25 years.  Two years ago, i finally had the chance to pursue my dream of shooting underwater. I acquired a Olympus camera and Nauticam housing and got some great dives in with that setup but absolutely hated the Olympus.  On land I primarily shoot Leica and Nikon and just could not make the adjustment.  I sold that kit after 2 weeks in Bonaire and then COVID hit.  Now, with 2021/2022 dive trips booked, I am trying to decide if I should go with a Z7ii setup or jump to Sony..... Any feedback or thoughts would be welcome.  My primary interest underwater is macro work.

     

    Cheers, love this community!!

    Hey Glenn - and welcome.

    Maybe better if you start a new post with the question otherwise it'll get lost in the Introductions. But, quick response: FF sensors underwater have their own issues to contend with. Nikon DX (D500) is brilliant u/w. Not sure the Z6/Z7 series have yet cracked the AF for u/w use.

  15. Hello All, I'm back, I guess it has been so long I am required to post a intro:-) No worries.

    OK, I have resided on Guam for almost 30 years and currently work for a large dive operation on Guam . I started shooting using a Nikonos 2 and never looked back. I currently shoot with a couple Nikons D3s (X/S) as well as D700s in Aquatica Housings. My passion is Macro and extreme macro, however I have a fair amount of experience with Humpbacks and enjoyed a spectacular encounter with some Sperm whales off the coast of Guam back in 2001.

    I look forward to getting back to what I enjoy most.

    Cheers

    Chris

  16. Hi everyone!

    Just joined this forum, been diving for 10 years but only got interested in photography over the last 4 years. 

    Shooting with A6500, just sold my old meikon housing and YS-01s, looking to upgrade to Z330s and a salted line :)

  17. Hi All,

    I thought I did all of this around 10 years ago when I first joined Wetpixel, but maybe not.

    I started underwater photography in the 1970s, while at Manchester University in the UK.  Apart from my Ikelite camera housing for Minolta 101, everything else was constructed from perspex, through oven baking and glue.

    I was an instructor and guide in the Red Sea for a couple of years, and did a lot of underwater photography in that time, with slightly better gear.  

    I the spent a year in London, launching trekking, wildlife and scuba safari trips on an unsuspecting public.  I did a lot of magazine writing and gave a lot of slide shows to sports clubs and travel groups.  I also entered every underwater photographic competition I could find, which was a bit unfair on the UK crowd, as I was using Red Sea photographs against Plymouth Pier.  I enjoyed some success, and innovated some new categories in competitions - staged, humorous shots, which weren't a thing, back in the day.  

    Now I'm getting into replacement body parts, instead of replacement camera systems, which came as a blow, and has stopped me diving for the past couple of years.  I may be on the verge of switching to above water wildlife only.  The message: do it while you can. Who knows what's around the corner?  

    All the best

    Jon (Melbourne, Australia)  

    Whale Shark.jpg

  18. Hi,

    Phew - Think I have now worked out how to post to get involved! 

    I'm Simon H, I'm a professional (land) photographer based in the UK's south coast. I'm relatively new to all this underwater shooting but enjoying that it's so specialized. I started with an old Subal and a 15+ year old Canon 5D and have just invested in a much newer Aquatica paired with the Mk4 Canon, it's all pretty different from the Subal, so feel like I'm almost starting again!

    I will no doubt be picking peoples brains to progress!

    Thanks

  19. On 6/8/2021 at 3:42 PM, solutionist said:

    Hi All,

    I thought I did all of this around 10 years ago when I first joined Wetpixel, but maybe not.

    I started underwater photography in the 1970s, while at Manchester University in the UK.  Apart from my Ikelite camera housing for Minolta 101, everything else was constructed from perspex, through oven baking and glue.

    I was an instructor and guide in the Red Sea for a couple of years, and did a lot of underwater photography in that time, with slightly better gear.  

    I the spent a year in London, launching trekking, wildlife and scuba safari trips on an unsuspecting public.  I did a lot of magazine writing and gave a lot of slide shows to sports clubs and travel groups.  I also entered every underwater photographic competition I could find, which was a bit unfair on the UK crowd, as I was using Red Sea photographs against Plymouth Pier.  I enjoyed some success, and innovated some new categories in competitions - staged, humorous shots, which weren't a thing, back in the day.  

    Now I'm getting into replacement body parts, instead of replacement camera systems, which came as a blow, and has stopped me diving for the past couple of years.  I may be on the verge of switching to above water wildlife only.  The message: do it while you can. Who knows what's around the corner?  

    All the best

    Jon (Melbourne, Australia)  

    Whale Shark.jpg

    Sounds like you have really lived the life :D 

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.