wet lens thread stuck on flip holder

Another approach is to soak it in vinegar/water for a day or two to soften and dissolve the hard water deposits of calcium-magnesium-aluminium gunk. Then use penetrating oll, allow it to soak in overnight to lubricate the screw threads, followed by trying to unscrew it with one or two strap wrenches.

Edited by Kraken de Mabini

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

In case you're still stuck, try some heat or cold treatment.

I had a similar issue with a Inon snoot some time back.  Two step up rings with fine threads were hopelessly locked together.  Tried a strap wrench alone and with penetrating oil, but no luck.  Finally put both pieces in the freezer for a bit and then put the strap wrench on it again.  They finally came unstuck.  I guess cold shrunk the pieces enough to permit movement.

Mild heat would do the reverse.  Maybe a few cycles of cold/heat might generate enough expansion/contraction to break free any oxidation.

Hope it helps.

Edited by mcgowman
  • Like 2

On 4/25/2024 at 9:25 PM, christophe chellapermal said:

Hey everyone i own a nauticam lens i cant seem to unscrew from my flip holder i assume theres been some aluminium oxydation.. would anyone have any tip to help me ?

Thank you 

Agree with all the above suggestions. I typically unscrew the lenses after diving and rinsing just to prevent that.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, christophe chellapermal said:

hey guys well tried everything nothing works if anyone has any ideas im open for suggestions..

Semtex?

Man, what a pain. I've not come across anything that hasn't been suggested already. The only extra thought I did have was whether the construction of the flip holder would allow you take the holder end apart from the lens holder end and, push comes to shove, actually destroy the flip holder. I'd guess (dangerous) that the flip holder can be replaced.

It might be worth taking it to a garage where they usual have a good range of gear to get two awkward things apart. But that can be pretty destructive too.

• Like 1

That's very frustrating and I feel your pain. I once had a lens get stuck on a flip holder after a dive, and I tried many of the suggestions above. I gave up and decided to make the lens/flip a dedicated unit. Then on the first dive back, I continued trying to loosen the lens - and voila! - it did. Maybe all those attempts with penetrating oil, strap wrenches, etc did the trick.

• Like 2

Do keep us posted!!

I have had great success with Kroil; https://www.kroil.com/

Being in the UAE I don't know if that is available to you, so an alternative is a 50/50, by volume, mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone.  DO NOT get this near any plastic housing parts, domes, ports etc., ask me how I know!!! 

Also if you can apply heat and cold to the threads with the Kroil that may persuade it as well.  If you have access to dry ice or liquid nitrogen that would provide a cold shock to the thermal cycles.  Again be mindful of any plastics.

• Like 2

Following - I had the same thing - never left attached to the flip adapter and on one dive it would not come off. Been stuck since - might try the  freezer trick! Have left it attached to the flip adapter! Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can tell you that I unsuccessfully attempted the hot/cold water trick after trying everything else under the sun. What I can tell you is what not to do. DO NOT ever turn on an induction stove and put your lens in the pot. It instantly shattered. Now I try to remember to take my lens off the adapter/holder after each dive day; and if I forget I am content with knowing it's there forever now.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

• Thanks for your support!!

Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo Logo
    Logo

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.